• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    I've gone into a little more detail on my early look at mass shootings and spent a good many more hours searching for events. I currently have a list of 90 mass shootings (defined for this purpose as 4 or more people killed by gunshot wound by one or more people in a relatively short period of time--somewhat subjective there--in one event or a closely connected series of related events, which will include most "spree killers") from 1949 to the present. The list only includes events in the United States.

The first thing is the overall trend for these killings. First, there are the number of such shootings per year:

eventsperyear.jpg

The 5 year average helps show a clear and (to me) surprising trend. First, the number of events was relatively flat up until 1993 or 1994 when their was a sharp rise which peaked in 1997 (year with largest number of events) to 1999 (year where the 5 year average peaked). After that, the number of events fell to slightly higher than previously (previously, 0, 1 or 2 events, after the peak 1, 2, or 3 events). We're still fairly early into 2009 so that may be the start of a new peak but more data (which I could wish were not available because of such things not happening) would be needed to assess that.

We get a similar picture looking at the total number killed in mass shootings per year:

numberkilledperyear.jpg

The trend here is more uncertain because of the great variation in the number killed per event. A single University of Texas or Virginia Tech can alter the averages drastically.

Some interesting trends come from looking at where these events occur:

combined.jpg

This is a combined list where I've divided the events based on the possibility of armed resistance. "Guns allowed" are areas with "shall issue" CCW and where there are no specific strictures on the location of the event in question. "Guns unlikely" are either "may issue" venues or places where the killer had good reason to believe that no armed resistance was likely. "No guns" are either states where concealed carry was forbidden, "gun free zones" such as schools or Federal property, or a couple of really bad cases with a parent killing their kids (I finished this late last night and my dreams were not pleasant)--basically places where the killer(s) could be absolutely certain that there would be no armed law abiding citizens.

To help make things clear, I've separated out the three categories into separate charts:

gunsallowed.jpg

gunsunlikely.jpg

noguns.jpg

One thing that becomes quickly clear is that "guns allowed" incidents are vanishingly rare and have few people killed (most barely rising to the "mass shooting" level). The majority of events have been at "guns unlikley" type venues, but that's been very close to a "default" position for most of the time and places covered here, so I'm not sure that that's really significant.

The real eye opener is the dramatic rise in "no guns" events starting in the early 90s and continuing on to the present. Interestingly enough, however, there was a gap in such shootings from July of 1999 to March of 2005 ("no guns" areas) and December of 2002 to March of 2006 ("Guns unlikely" areas), during a substantial portion of the Bush administration.

The upshot of this is that the vast majority of events happen in places where private citizens are restricted (either by law or by situation) from being armed for self defense. A total of 9 events happened at places which were both "shall issue" and where there were not other circumstances that would ensure that potential victims were disarmed. A total of 89 events took place where such restrictions were present. The restrictions, of course, did not stop the killers. Note also that the increases in such shootings has almost entirely happened in places where the ability of people to arm themselves for defense has been restricted with a very dramatic rise in mass shootings in "gun free zones."

Last edited:

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Thanks for taking the time to do this. It is interesting to look at and does truly seem to show that places where the likes of us may be are the safest places to be.

:+1:

You should also forward this work to the NRA, GOA, and Million Gun Owner March. While not complete with some of the variables that you mentioned missing, this is a pretty good indicator of the ineffectivness of gun laws. I'm sure places like the NRA and GOA might already have the information, but they may not have all the data you have and could be a way to complete their data.

Just a suggestion. Keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

(BTW, what's the rest of the last paragraph? :dunno:)

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    ...The real eye opener is the dramatic rise in "no guns" events starting in the early 90s and continuing on to the present. Interestingly enough, however, there was a gap in such shootings from July of 1999 to March of 2005 ("no guns" areas) and December of 2002 to March of 2006 ("Guns unlikely" areas), during a substantial portion of the Bush administration....

Good point here. I also noticed and corellated that the uptick in these crimes began about 1992, when we had a Dem President who signed into law the AWB (94). July of 1999 was but four months before Mr. Bush was elected, and in 2004, the AWB ended. March of 2005 was leading into the midterm elections, and historically, a two term president with a same-party Congress loses that Congress at his second midterm election. That being the case, with Dems historically taking back the Congress in such situations, it follows that Dems would be coming back into some measure of power. OK, so what does this mean? Simple: Dems coming into power in 1992 led to more shootings, which stopped as they were losing power and started again when they were coming back... I can only draw the conclusion that:

:DDemocrats cause mass shootings!
    We should ban Democrats! :D

Blessings,
    Bill

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    "The upshot of this is that the vast majority of events happen in places where private citizens are restricted (either by law or by situation) from being armed for self defense. A total of 9 events happened at places which were both "shall issue" and where there were not other circumstances that would ensure that potential victims were disarmed. A total of 89 events took place where such restrictions were present. The restrictions, of course, did not stop the killers. Note also that the increases in such shootings has almost entirely happened in places where the ability of people to arm themselves for defense has been restricted with a very dramatic rise in mass shootings in "gun free zones."

This seems to be right on the money. My question is that why cannot people in federal and state agencies notice this and come to the same conclusion? Shall issue permits have not yielded the blood flowing in the streets that was predicted, and yet enabling law abiding citizens the right to defend themselves continues to be almost an unspeakable solution to violence and crime.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    "The upshot of this is that the vast majority of events happen in places where private citizens are restricted (either by law or by situation) from being armed for self defense. A total of 9 events happened at places which were both "shall issue" and where there were not other circumstances that would ensure that potential victims were disarmed. A total of 89 events took place where such restrictions were present. The restrictions, of course, did not stop the killers. Note also that the increases in such shootings has almost entirely happened in places where the ability of people to arm themselves for defense has been restricted with a very dramatic rise in mass shootings in "gun free zones."

This seems to be right on the money. My question is that why cannot people in federal and state agencies notice this and come to the same conclusion? Shall issue permits have not yielded the blood flowing in the streets that was predicted, and yet enabling law abiding citizens the right to defend themselves continues to be almost an unspeakable solution to violence and crime.

What makes you think that people in Federal and State agencies don't already know that? For that matter, do you really think that the Brady Bunch and that ilk aren't entirely aware of these facts?

As has often been said, it's not about crime, it's about control. The purpose of things like the above study is not to convince politicians or the anti-gun groups, but rather to help convince those who haven't already "chosen sides," who might still be amenable to being swayed by the facts.

If enough people feel strongly enough about it, the politicians will fall in line because they want to keep their jobs. Our job is to get enough people feeling strongly enough about it.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I passed this on yesterday to those on the mailing list for the Tea Parties.

I'm not sure how well recieved it was or how many checked it out though.

Where all did you get your information? News archives or the FBI/DHS?

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    I passed this on yesterday to those on the mailing list for the Tea Parties.

I'm not sure how well recieved it was or how many checked it out though.

Where all did you get your information? News archives or the FBI/DHS?

Various news archives available online. Some lists of "mass shootings" and "mass murders" were helpful in getting started. In some cases I was able to find court documents that helped confirm the facts of the case. In other cases I had to read a couple of different news accounts to get the relevant details (why the Wah Mee Massacre was originally listed as "guns allowed" but I later moved it to "guns unlikley"--it was only after several accounts before I came to one that described the Wah Mee's security arrangments).

IamLegend

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    All the way Southern Indiana
    Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

IamLegend

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    All the way Southern Indiana
    No, the article specifies terrorist acts, not mass shootings. There's a difference.
    I think it was including mass shootings in with terrorist attacks. I mean is there a difference? If the attacker is a citizen then they are just known as “home grown” terrorist correct? Or are you saying that mass shootings are NOT considered a form or terrorism?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I think it was including mass shootings in with terrorist attacks. I mean is there a difference? If the attacker is a citizen then they are just known as “home grown” terrorist correct? Or are you saying that mass shootings are NOT considered a form or terrorism?

Yes there is a difference. Mass shootings are defined as having 4 victims, not including the shooter. A gang driveby could technically meet that requirement, and yet that isn't terrorism.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The school shootings aren't terrorism exactly. It's just some looser douchbag who takes revenge on the social groups that rejected him. I'd classify the Christchurch and El Paso shootings as terrorism though.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Clayton Cramer has been compiling and studying stats on mass killings in America...starting in 1657.

He has written an editorial on his finding so far, but still looking for a home for it. Couple excerpts:

Is Our Mass Murder Problem New?

It seems as though mass murder is a recent and horrific addition to American culture. Yes... and No. For the last 18 months I have been collecting American mass murders, starting in 1657. So far, I have found 504 mass murders (3three or more dead, or two dead and at least one wounded, in a 24 hour period, excluding all governmental killings) with a total of 6,568 dead. I know that there are at least 300 more yet to be added to my Spreadsheet of Horror.

Curiously, less than half of these mass murders were committed with firearms. You may be wondering what weapons were used before repeating firearms: Axes, hatchets, knives, poisons, blunt objects, arson, aircraft (and not just on 9/11), and in 1931, blowtorches. Where there is an evil will, there’s a way. Even today, about ¼ of our mass murders do not involve firearms: instead, blunt objects, arson, explosives, and motor vehicles, as is the case in countries with much stricter gun laws.

You probably can’t name the mass murders that killed 87 people in 1990 ;or 97 people in 1986; or the 1973 New Orleans gay bar with 33 dead. All were arson, and are nearly unknown because there were no guns. The 1990 murders were with $1 of gasoline bought a nearby gas station; the 1986 murders with a can of camp stove fuel; the 1973 murders were with a can of cigarette lighter fluid bought down the street.

More at the link. Go RTWT.

Top Bottom