• ...and so much more!
  • -Jake-

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    NWI
    From the Senator Donnelly

I would like to thank you for taking the time to contact me with your concerns. Hearing from you helps me stand for Hoosier common sense in Washington.
    As your Senator, I am committed to working with my colleagues on both sides of the aisle to find common sense solutions to the issues that Hoosiers care about most. I believe Congress must come together to enact policies that will help grow our economy, create jobs, reduce the deficit, and ensure a bright future for our children. I promise to work hard each and every day to do what is best for Indiana and the country.

It is a privilege to represent you and all Hoosiers in the U.S. Senate. Your continued correspondence is welcome and helps me to better represent our state. I encourage you to write, call, or email if my office can ever be of assistance. You can also check out my Facebook page and follow me on Twitter by visiting my website.

Summary: BLAH BLAH BLAH I don't care what you have to say here is a copy and paste answer where I carefully dance around ever mentioning anything to do with guns.

Now from Senator Coats:

Thank you for contacting me about President Obama's recent executive orders on gun control. I appreciate the opportunity to hear from you.

On August 29, 2013, President Obama issued two new executive orders regarding gun control. His first executive order limited the re-importation of "military surplus weapons," which primarily effects importation of the M-1 Garand semiautomatic rifle. This rifle is often traded as a collector's item and is frequently used by the Civilian Marksmanship Program. President Obama also mandated background check for persons registering Class III machine guns with a trust or corporation.

I believe it is inappropriate for the President and his administration to continue to legislate by executive fiat and create independent measures affecting Second Amendment rights. When I was sworn into office as the U.S. Senator for Indiana, I took an oath that I would support and defend our nation's Constitution, and I continue to do that today. I will not support any legislation or broader effort that would serve to undermine the Second Amendment. I am a proud supporter of gun rights and will oppose any gun control measure that infringes upon ownership rights for responsible, law abiding citizens.

Thank you again for contacting me, and please do not hesitate to keep in touch on matters of concern to you.

Sincerely,

Dan Coats
    United States Senator

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I must say I've been pleasantly surprised at Senator Coats standing ground on 2A rights.

It's a nice comparison how each chose to communicate with you. Thanks for sharing it.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    From the Senator Donnelly

At least you got something from him. I've written to jojo the union ho several times since he's been in office and he's only ever responded once back in January. IIRC it was worded very similar to yours. A generic canned response.

confused89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    IN
    Now from Senator Coats:

Thank you for contacting me about President Obama's recent executive orders on gun control. I appreciate the opportunity to hear from you.

On August 29, 2013, President Obama issued two new executive orders regarding gun control. His first executive order limited the re-importation of "military surplus weapons," which primarily effects importation of the M-1 Garand semiautomatic rifle. This rifle is often traded as a collector's item and is frequently used by the Civilian Marksmanship Program. President Obama also mandated background check for persons registering Class III machine guns with a trust or corporation.

I believe it is inappropriate for the President and his administration to continue to legislate by executive fiat and create independent measures affecting Second Amendment rights. When I was sworn into office as the U.S. Senator for Indiana, I took an oath that I would support and defend our nation's Constitution, and I continue to do that today. I will not support any legislation or broader effort that would serve to undermine the Second Amendment. I am a proud supporter of gun rights and will oppose any gun control measure that infringes upon ownership rights for responsible, law abiding citizens.

Thank you again for contacting me, and please do not hesitate to keep in touch on matters of concern to you.

Sincerely,

Dan Coats
    United States Senator

I got the same message from Coats when I e-mailed him about it.

Sarge470

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    You may have noticed that the Democrats have adopted the tag-line "common sense," and use it in virtually all of their talking points, much the same as they did a couple of years ago when they inserted something about "working families" into every talking point. In this context, the use of "common sense" in Donnelly's reply means that he will toe the company line and go along with whatever BHO wants him to do when push comes to shove. All that crap about honoring Hoosier values during the campaign was just that; crap. He's just another lying closet liberal who is pretty well convinced he knows what's best for us.

-Jake-

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    NWI
    You may have noticed that the Democrats have adopted the tag-line "common sense," and use it in virtually all of their talking points, much the same as they did a couple of years ago when they inserted something about "working families" into every talking point. In this context, the use of "common sense" in Donnelly's reply means that he will toe the company line and go along with whatever BHO wants him to do when push comes to shove. All that crap about honoring Hoosier values during the campaign was just that; crap. He's just another lying closet liberal who is pretty well convinced he knows what's best for us.

I agree and I was thinking of the exact same thing last night. He voted FOR the Manchin-Toomey proposal while Coats introduced his own that might have actually reduced gun crime, and of course it failed. :xmad:

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I must say I've been pleasantly surprised at Senator Coats standing ground on 2A rights.

It's a nice comparison how each chose to communicate with you. Thanks for sharing it.

I'm really not surprised by either of our Senators. I heard Greg Garrison question Coates pretty stiffly about his support for gun control measures when he was previously a Senator. Coates said he'd learned his lesson from that mess and he would be standing up for our Second Amendment rights in the future. So far, as near as I can tell, he has done so.

On the other hand, I never believed Joe Donnelly would EVER be anything but a slave to his party leaders and I'm disappointed to see that I'm correct in my belief.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I'm really not surprised by either of our Senators. I heard Greg Garrison question Coates pretty stiffly about his support for gun control measures when he was previously a Senator. Coates said he'd learned his lesson from that mess and he would be standing up for our Second Amendment rights in the future. So far, as near as I can tell, he has done so.

On the other hand, I never believed Joe Donnelly would EVER be anything but a slave to his party leaders and I'm disappointed to see that I'm correct in my belief.

I'm not old enough to have really paid attention to Coates the first time around. I admit I was basing my concern on subjective information about the man.

Donnelly is exactly how I thought he would be too. Although I don't think Lugar would have any differing stance than Donnelly. I just wish we could've gotten someone worthy of that seat elected.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Pretty much reads like emails I've gotten from both. If you want to read some verbal gymnastics, you ought to read the responses I've gotten from Rep. Todd Young. That guy must have legs as long as a giraff because nobody can stradle a fence any better than him.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Pretty much reads like emails I've gotten from both. If you want to read some verbal gymnastics, you ought to read the responses I've gotten from Rep. Todd Young. That guy must have legs as long as a giraff because nobody can stradle a fence any better than him.

I know what you mean. I remember back when gun control was being hotly contested in congress, I think it was Rokita who penned a fairly strongly worded letter to Obama about his executive order threats. Since they're colleagues from the same state and same party, I expected Young to have signed that letter. Instead he opted to sign on to a letter worded more "diplomatically".

Having to serve in a district with all the Bloomington moonbeam types, I guess I can see having to appear more politically diverse. But nailing him down to a firm position shouldn't be that hard.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood

QFT!!!!!!!

Read Revelations 3:15-16 and then think about how much it applies to Todd Young

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    How about we keep religion completely out of this discussion? It is both against INGO policy and has no place in government, whether one is a believer or not of any particular faith.

How about if you don't want to read it, you don't have to. There is nothing religious about pointing to a chapter and verse in a book that I'm well aware the person who I was talking to reads. If you don't like it and feel I broke an INGO rule, feel free to report my post. It's the triangle symbol with the "!"

Top Bottom