Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    Shooter

No Jobs? Mike Rowe's Lament

Thousands of jobs are going begging right now, (with unemployment at over 7%, too. Go figure). A reader of Mike Rowe's (voice of Deadliest Catch, host of Dirty Jobs) wrote to him lambasting the rightish wing of the Boot On Your Neck Party for standing in the way of job creation and Mike had to point out some uncomfortable facts for her. Right now, in this country there are thousands of jobs going unfilled because Americans just won't do them. These aren't minimum wage jobs either. They're solid middle class, working jobs that pay extremely well. Employers can't fill them, for a few reasons. And this leads to a number of problems for the country and industry. *****ing about immigration? There really are thousands of good paying jobs that Americans won't do. And they have to be done, if we're to keep moving forward. Someone, from somewhere is going to have to fill that slot. Mike points out the facts but the solutions really are up to us. We need to do a number of things. One would be encouraging our local school systems to put vocational training back in the schools. That would help in the long run. But, lots of the folks who are currently unemployed need to be encouraged to look outside of their particular box, too. Changes need to be made, and politicians aren't really the solution here.

Part 1: ***Phone Number Hidden*** (See Rules for more info)39932&set=a.***Phone Number Hidden*** (See Rules for more info)42569.29***Phone Number Hidden*** (See Rules for more info)98310182&type=1" target="_blank">https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...8310182&type=1

Part 2: ***Phone Number Hidden*** (See Rules for more info)38648" target="_blank">https://www.facebook.com/TheRealMike...***Phone Number Hidden*** (See Rules for more info)8648

Didn't read the links, but good points in your post. I had a die hard lib colleague telling me that people wanted to work but there were no jobs. I responded with the help wanted section of the paper and the Internet job sites. Typical left wing extremist that he was, he didn't allow facts to interfere with his ideas.
    Never stop burning tin.

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    I certainly agree with vocational curriculum being placed back in the schools. Everybody doesn't want to be a white-collar worker, especially when you can make more money in the blue-collar sector. I've visited countries that used to be self sustaining and now have to recruit foreigners to build buildings, repair roads and make clothes.
    Rudeness is the weakest person's demonstration of strength.

I agree with Mike Rowe.
    "Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem."

"A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and substantial reason' why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The rights existence is all the reason he needs." Benson Everett Legg - Woolard v. Sheridan

If you're a noob, develop thick skin, and read the FAQs

Actaeon - act'-tee-on
    The death of Actaeon - http://www.paleothea.com/Myths/Actaeon.html

Grandmaster
    The internet job sites look pretty impressive, but they do not deliver. I tried that game. There are more sites acting like they offer jobs than there are jobs. By the time you get through the multiple layers you find out that the job has been filled for 6 months. There are some jobs that are always available. Cell phone salesmen, especially for lower tier companies. Part time commission appilance salesmen at dying sears stores in welfare neighborhoods. Part time oncall evenings ad weekends where they only guarantee 2 hours of pay when you get called in, even if you have to drive an hour to get there. Investment fraud salesmen, etc.

Due to the uncertainties of obummer care, I have not found any companies willing to take a chance on anyone with health problems. If you cannot work 12-16 hour shifts, the interview is over.

There are some jobs out there but you have to look pretty hard. There are far more jobs that are scams that actually take money out of the workers pocket. I am not talking about making less than unemployment, I am talking about true zero net scams.
    Last edited by Leo; 11-04-2013 at 10:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    The internet job sites look pretty impressive, but they do not deliver. I tried that game. There are more sites acting like they offer jobs than there are jobs. By the time you get through the multiple layers you find out that the job has been filled for 6 months. There are some jobs that are always available. Cell phone salesmen, especially for lower tier companies. Part time commission appilance salesmen at dying sears stores in welfare neighborhoods. Part time oncall evenings ad weekends where they only guarantee 2 hours of pay when you get called in, even if you have to drive an hour to get there. Investment fraud salesmen, etc.

Due to the uncertainties of obummer care, I have not found any companies willing to take a chance on anyone with health problems. If you cannot work 12-16 hour shifts, the interview is over.

There are some jobs out there but you have to look pretty hard. There are far more jobs that are scams that actually take money out of the workers pocket. I am not talking about making less than unemployment, I am talking about true zero net scams.
    I work in a steel mill. And there is always trouble trying to find maintenance workers. Too many parents didn't want their child to sling a wrench.
    "Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem."

"A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and substantial reason' why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The rights existence is all the reason he needs." Benson Everett Legg - Woolard v. Sheridan

If you're a noob, develop thick skin, and read the FAQs

Actaeon - act'-tee-on
    The death of Actaeon - http://www.paleothea.com/Myths/Actaeon.html

Shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by actaeon277 View Post
    I work in a steel mill. And there is always trouble trying to find maintenance workers. Too many parents didn't want their child to sling a wrench.
    Precisely the problem we face and what Mike points out. There are literally thousands of jobs, (Mike cites a need for 600K) that need filling and no-one's qualified. The BAMA food corp recently had to go to Poland and open a plant because they couldn't find qualified people here in the US to work the plant floors. WTF? If we don't reverse the trend we are going to need all those immigrants just to keep barely functional as a country. Not everyone's cut out to take on 40K of debt to get a college degree that's barely needed anymore. We need more folks spending a lot less and getting equally good jobs in the blue collar fields, too.
    There are plenty of jobs out there for the willing.

I've been vocal about this issue for a while. Not everyone is well served by attending college, and it's not always about academic ability. Many, many who are funneled into college because they don't think they have a better choice would do much better learning a trade like machinist, welder, electrician, etc.

I'm glad someone like Mike Rowe has become a champion of the cause. I also like that when he was on Glenn Beck's show talking about it, Glenn whipped-out his checkbook and wrote a check for $20,000 to go to the vocational scholarship fund.

I also like Mike Rowe's new catch phrase: Work smart and hard.

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

Shooter

Here is the link to Buy the Poster. Proceeds go to the scholarship fund.

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast