Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    Shooter

User Info Menu

Federal Judge Strikes Down Utah Anti-Polygamy Law

Yet another blow struck for getting government out of marriage and enlarging the freedom of consenting adults to interact as they please. No doubt the Utah legislature will move to correct their law and make it more in line with the courts decision, rather than just chucking it and letting people live free. Of course the critics against marriage equality are going to be up in arms saying, "We told ya so!!!".

Federal Judge Strikes Down Anti-Polygamy Law | Utah Political Capitol

User Info Menu

More marriage mutation. Marriage will always be one man + one woman. Besides, I've found that one wife is enough for me to handle.
    Fishbowl of Bud, Ma'am.

User Info Menu

As I foresaw. Get ready, here comes the whole parade of things we were told would not happen.

Call me Cassandra.

The basics applied lead to expertise

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mrjarrell View Post
    Of course the critics against marriage equality are going to be up in arms saying, "We told ya so!!!".
    Then they didn't read the article. It doesn't strike down the anti-polygamy law in that it now allows polygamous marriage. It simply says the current law is too broad.

The law currently reads that “ A person is guilty of bigamy when, knowing he has a husband or wife or knowing the other person has a husband or wife, the person purports to marry another person or cohabits with another person.”
    Kody Brown, who is only legally married to Meri, made no attempts to legally marry his other wives and made no attempts to defraud other individuals or the state in regards to this fact.
    the court reemphasized the fact that the state has an important role in regulating marriage, but only in the legal sense.
    So what changed? You can now cohabitate with someone you know is married, but still can't marry more than one person. I wonder when the last time that law was enforced...
    L'otters are not afraid.

User Info Menu

"Marriage" is a religious distinction. In so far as the gubmint is concerned they should pass a law for civil contracts between individual adults. They should not refer to it as marriage but as a civil union, regardless of who is involved. If someone wants to get "married" let them do so as they wish because it would have no standing in law or the courts.

Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blue2golf View Post
    More marriage mutation. Marriage will always be one man + one woman. Besides, I've found that one wife is enough for me to handle.
    How many wives did Solomon have? Or many of the patriarchs of the OT? Sorry, marriage has been many things in many cultures for many thousands of years. But, it's never been one thing. It's always been more than what some short sighted individuals would have it to be.
    Last edited by mrjarrell; 12-14-2013 at 10:18.

Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Birds Away View Post
    "Marriage" is a religious distinction. In so far as the gubmint is concerned they should pass a law for civil contracts between individual adults. They should not refer to it as marriage but as a civil union, regardless of who is involved. If someone wants to get "married" let them do so as they wish because it would have no standing in law or the courts.
    That doesn't sound unreasonable.

User Info Menu

If anyone's interested beyond the headline, here's the original filing:

Complaint | Kody Brown, et al. v. Gary Herbert, Governor of Utah, et al. | Tyson B. Snow - JDSupra

It doesn't even ask for legal marriage among polygamists, just the right to live with multiple partners without government interference. It also claims uneven enforcement, as the only reason the Brown family was targeted was because they were on some television show, which was apparently corroborated.

I haven't found a free source for the decision yet.
    L'otters are not afraid.

User Info Menu

Where in the Constitution is it prohibited for the states to govern what constitutes a legal marriage?

The modern interpretation of the 14th, I'm guessing.
    INGOer #18,319

User Info Menu

It doesn't even ask for legal marriage among polygamists,
    Cassandra has told you it is coming, but people do not believe her.

The basics applied lead to expertise

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast