• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    BBC News - Iraq militants seize second city of Mosul

Nouri Maliki acknowledged "vital areas" of the country's second largest city had been seized.
    Overnight, hundreds of armed men seized local government's offices and police stations before taking control of the airport and the army's headquarters.

Interestingly, and I missed this, Fallujah is also now back in the hands of militants. :(

Prime Minister Nouri Maliki, who is struggling to form a government in the wake of the April elections, has vowed to drive the ISIS "terrorists" out of mainly-Sunni Mosul in short order.
    He is unlikely to succeed soon. He made similar vows when Sunni militants took over Falluja, west of Baghdad, in January, and they are still there.

I find this item important for 2 reason:
    1) USian MSM is entirely ineffective in providing important news. (No real surprise, just another example.) Although, CNN does have something on their website, I doubt anything will be on the evening news.
    2) I believe that as Iraq goes, so will they larger Middle East, and Afghanistan. With the current CINC, though, we will not commit our military to saving it. Arguing whether we should or not is irrelevant. We won't.

Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    We shouldn't have bothered in the first place, buy hey.. we had to "protect" all that oil... Saddam and his sons could have been removed with some well placed pavewayIIs... we all know the real reasons we were there...

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    If we went for the oil we did a pretty **** poor job of it, as the price has done nothing but get more expensive. I wish we would have just taken the damn oil, at least we would have gotten something out of all of this. Nation building is a load of horse****, if they don't want our help then let's stop trying to give it to them.

Henry

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2014
    Athome
    Much pissed away in treasure and blood.

The state views those dedicated in service as fodder for cannon...and little more.

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    Tell that to the men that fought in Fallujah.
    :+1: I didn't get into Fallujah, but I was there when that all went down. Had quite a few friends there and Mosul and Me in Baghdad during their bloodiest days.

Everyone says the US went for Oil, yet NO US Oil Company even submitted a Bid on the Iraq oil fields. China was the big winner on those bids.

I was there with boots on the ground, I saw it for what it was, saw mummified bodies in mass graves beyond what you could count.

As a guy who lost friends, and invested myself in Iraq, this news really boils my blood because we saw it coming when the pull outs were announced.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    A lot of bad news out of that general area.Some crazyness in Afganistan; Pakistan's largest airport has been attacked for 2 straight days with I think hundreds attackers trying to take i t over.

Coordinated?

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    I'm afraid our current 'powers-that-be' STILL have no idea who they're dealing with.

Does it 'surprise' anyone that, if you tell the enemy that your leaving, and when, they'll just crank it all down until you're gone? WHY would any 'leader' do that?

Or maybe, considering the recent trade of 5 top terrorist leaders for 1 guy that may, in fact, be a defector and traitor, perhaps the current POTUS does know who he's dealing with. :dunno:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    We shouldn't have bothered in the first place, buy hey.. we had to "protect" all that oil... Saddam and his sons could have been removed with some well placed pavewayIIs... we all know the real reasons we were there...

[video=youtube;ztVMib1T4T4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztVMib1T4T4[/video]

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Going in to destroy sadist hussein's rogue regime that had established chemical, bio, (at one time) a nuke weapon, programs; had kicked the UN inspectors out 5 years earlier; and used terrorist organizations as proxies; was one thing. FWIW, getting him personally could have been left to his enemies in the aftermath of a civil war. "nation building" as if there is anyone there who is interested in democracy (or even gets the concept), was a waste not only of lives and money but of the deterant that quickly toppling both the taliban and hussein established.

CountryBoy1981

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Going in to destroy sadist hussein's rogue regime that had established chemical, bio, (at one time) a nuke weapon, programs; had kicked the UN inspectors out 5 years earlier; and used terrorist organizations as proxies; was one thing. FWIW, getting him personally could have been left to his enemies in the aftermath of a civil war. "nation building" as if there is anyone there who is interested in democracy (or even gets the concept), was a waste not only of lives and money but of the deterant that quickly toppling both the taliban and hussein established.

This. If we went in and toppled, then left, we are victors. By nation building we are exiting in defeat.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    g-cvr-080501-mission-10a.grid-6x2.jpg

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound

What did we find there again? I think I missed that current events class 10 years ago.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    This. If we went in and toppled, then left, we are victors. By nation building we are exiting in defeat.

I disagree with this, mostly. Leaving after toppling the gov't is worse because it leaves a vacuum. Iraq was very secular and the nationbuilding part was really pretty easy, relatively speaking. (Not diminishing the hard work that we put into it, just comparing it to a place like Afghanistan, which is not secular and has no history of being an organized nation.)

The problem IMHO was withdrawing too early and... leaving the vacuum anyway. We needed to have a comprehensive foreign policy that gave our partners trust that we would follow through on our principles. That would have created a better environment for a status of forces agreement that worked for both sides.

Top Bottom