Plainfield
    I only have a leather jacket with tweed arm patches... :(

secretsofasuccessfulmarriage1.png

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    For me, there should be no conceptual difference between regulating the first amendment and the second. (For that matter, I'm not convinced we can't treat all of them the same - even beyond the BOR.)

Are there limits? Sure.

Should the onus be on the gov't to justify the reasons for the limits? Absolutely.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    For me, there should be no conceptual difference between regulating the first amendment and the second. (For that matter, I'm not convinced we can't treat all of them the same - even beyond the BOR.)

Are there limits? Sure.

Should the onus be on the gov't to justify the reasons for the limits? Absolutely.
    Good response, T.Lex. :+1:

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana

Are there limits? Sure.

What limits should there be?

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

Are there limits? Sure.

Yeah, that's worked out so well for us in the past.

The idea of regulating a right protected from such regulation seems a bit....faulty.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, that's worked out so well for us in the past.

The idea of regulating a right protected from such regulation seems a bit....faulty.
    Every right is subject to regulation - it is the only practical way to govern. :)

The issue is the rules that control how that regulation happens.

Ultimately, in the American system, the courts decide whether a regulation of a right is appropriate or not, based on the rules.

There is a whole body of law around strict scrutiny that, to me, strikes an appropriate balance. We don't have to reinvent the wheel, just repurpose an existing wheel.

IMHO.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Every right is subject to regulation - it is the only practical way to govern. :)

The issue is the rules that control how that regulation happens.

Ultimately, in the American system, the courts decide whether a regulation of a right is appropriate or not, based on the rules.

There is a whole body of law around strict scrutiny that, to me, strikes an appropriate balance. We don't have to reinvent the wheel, just repurpose an existing wheel.

IMHO.

While I understand your point, the problem is that the above-mentioned idea readily converts into courts overriding and disregarding the very clear law they are supposed to obey. What part of 'shall not be infringed' is negotiable. We have a right to keep and bear arms. The Indiana constitution adds the purpose of defending ourselves and the state. It does not grant us a right to harm or endanger people with those arms. There is no need for regulation here, merely recognition of what constitutes the right and respecting that without adding red herrings. Criminal misuse of arms exists outside the scope of keeping and bearing. As such, I fail to see where there is any argument for infringing on keeping and bearing that would hold water with any person capable of rational thought.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    ...the above-mentioned idea readily converts into courts overriding and disregarding the very clear law they are supposed to obey.

They are, in a sense, the most powerful branch of gov't, because they interpret the law. But, they have no enforcement. And, the law can always be changed.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' is negotiable.
    First, it isn't a negotiation.

Second, "infringed" does not mean "interpreted." The 2A doesn't say, "shall not be interpreted by a duly empowered court." So, courts get to interpret "infringed." Good thing, too - see Heller.

Third, based on the laws in place at the time the constitution was written, I don't think "infringed" meant what you think it meant, either. :)

We have a right to keep and bear arms. The Indiana constitution adds the purpose of defending ourselves and the state. It does not grant us a right to harm or endanger people with those arms. There is no need for regulation here, merely recognition of what constitutes the right and respecting that without adding red herrings. Criminal misuse of arms exists outside the scope of keeping and bearing. As such, I fail to see where there is any argument for infringing on keeping and bearing that would hold water with any person capable of rational thought.

I'm all for focusing on actions as the paradigm for criminal laws. It is easier, and probably most effective.

So, if an otherwise law-abiding felon has a gun, no problem?

What about a paranoid schizophrenic?

I don't mean to be confrontational, and these may be some of the red herrings you mention, I'm just curious about your perspective on the boundaries of this otherwise absolute right. I'm confused by your statement that there is no need for regulation, only recognition. How can the law recognize a limit without that limit being a regulation?

Top Bottom