• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Authorities plan to close Broad Ripple Ave. to vehicles (except taxis and police) from midnight to 4am on weekends.

Broad Ripple Ave. to be shut down late weekend nights | WISH-TV

On the one hand, maybe this is a way to reduce the opportunity for mayhem. On the other hand, the police are closing down a public thoroughfare in the absence of a specific threat, and I'm not sure I like the precedent.

I'm just a spectator - there's no way that I will be anywhere near BR after midnight on any day.

Is this a good idea, or police overreach?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Authorities plan to close Broad Ripple Ave. to vehicles (except taxis and police) from midnight to 4am on weekends.

Broad Ripple Ave. to be shut down late weekend nights | WISH-TV

On the one hand, maybe this is a way to reduce the opportunity for mayhem. On the other hand, the police are closing down a public thoroughfare in the absence of a specific threat, and I'm not sure I like the precedent.

I'm just a spectator - there's no way that I will be anywhere near BR after midnight on any day.

Is this a good idea, or police overreach?
    We do it all the time. The circle gets closed off from time to time. Georgia St as well depending on the event. BR is *******s to elbows on the sidewalks on the weekends. We do the same thing on S Meridian St when it gets really busy.

ryancantshoot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2013
    The City
    I live in the area. I guess our side streets- which are littered w/ massive potholes, trucks parking parallel to one another on both sides of the narrow streets- are now going to be that much crazier.

The late night crowd in BR is notoriously ughh..diverse. You know, shootings and all. So it's great to hear that these animals will now be perusing the dark, poorly-lit sides street at a much higher rate.

I feel for people who have to park on the street. Snapped off mirrors from drunks were always a problem, but now?

All in all a huge plus for the neighborhood.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    well considering that the vast throngs of (mostly drunk and unpredictably-moving) people that populate BR Ave. in those hours effectively shut it down to cars anyway, I think this is a good thing to do "absent a specific threat."

I think this will serve the interests of public safety, and I also think that enough people will complain about the potholes wrecking their mercedes' that the roads might get some attention finally.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    News article said the Kiddie Romper Room might be getting cameras, too. Guess the "college campus for adults" is going to start looking like England.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    In Austin Texas they have a broad ripple areA called 6th st. They close it at night all the time. Never been a problem with traffic. Good for business and those who frequent those establishments.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Nothing good happens on BR ave after 10pm. Worked in the area multiple times at banks, bars, music venues, etc... Not my type of crowd...always glad to get out of there. Always feel bad for some of the residents in the area, but then again some of them are the patrons at the bars.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    BR should only allow people in swimsuits or underwear after 10pm, then no where to hide a gun easily

Henry

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2014
    Athome
    BR should only allow people in swimsuits or underwear after 10pm, then no where to hide a gun easily

I recall there was a point where a number of private businesses in the area adopted dress codes prohibiting sagging pants and the like, but there was an outcry from some that such dress codes discriminated against those without enough sense to pull their pants up over their asses. Not sure where it stands today.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I live in the area. I guess our side streets- which are littered w/ massive potholes, trucks parking parallel to one another on both sides of the narrow streets- are now going to be that much crazier.

The late night crowd in BR is notoriously ughh..diverse. You know, shootings and all. So it's great to hear that these animals will now be perusing the dark, poorly-lit sides street at a much higher rate.

I feel for people who have to park on the street. Snapped off mirrors from drunks were always a problem, but now?

All in all a huge plus for the neighborhood.

Look on the bright side, maybe now someone will actually consider parking in the garage the city spent $16mil to build.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Not saying they shouldnt, but since we arent talking about road rage incidents between drivers and pedestrians, I dont see how this will help.

Just strikes me as a bit of a disconnect... what does removing cars from the total equation when traffic itself doesnt seem to be an issue? Or are all these shootings caused by overcrowded sidewalks and too many jerkwads with chips on their shoulders that expect everyone else to get out of their royal way and cant say "excuse me" when they harmlessly bump into each other?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Just strikes me as a bit of a disconnect

Not a disconnect. It is rent seeking by Broad Ripple businesses who are using an event that transpired blocks and blocks away to get an outcome from .gov that they have desire for years over the objection of the people that live there and pay taxes.

Rent-seeking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Way to go, Indy.gov. You need community relations, like super bad right now, and you just p***sed off hundreds of property owners that will have bottles and puke puddles in their yards.

Bud_Light_Real_Men_of_Genius_Part_5.jpg

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    The news segment I saw last night (think it was Fox59??) say that this is in response to the shooting that happened several days ago.

While I personally don't care if the roads up there are closed or not (Seems to be a decent idea to close off the roads to make a more "street fair" type atmosphere), doing so under the guise of any kind of safety or preventative measures to keep afore-mentioned actions from happening is truly farcical.

The incident was caused by two dudes bumping into each other on the sidewalk. At 2:30am. Walking. On the Sidewalk. NOT DRIVING VEHICLES.

I'm also certain that I heard in the news report that though the roads would be closed - that people weren't going to be allowed on the roadways to walk. Genius.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Argh! I like to cruise. I'm part of the "car scene". I pass through the circle & B-rip all the time. I'm not sure this is an effective strategy to reduce violence in the area. Sounds more like a "we've got to do something" idea.

Was the last mass shootout down there caused by a lot of cars on the street forcing people too close together on the damn sidewalks making them grumpy? I highly doubt it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The news segment I saw last night (think it was Fox59??) say that this is in response to the shooting that happened several days ago.

While I personally don't care if the roads up there are closed or not (Seems to be a decent idea to close off the roads to make a more "street fair" type atmosphere), doing so under the guise of any kind of safety or preventative measures to keep afore-mentioned actions from happening is truly farcical.

The incident was caused by two dudes bumping into each other on the sidewalk. At 2:30am. Walking. On the Sidewalk. NOT DRIVING VEHICLES.

I'm also certain that I heard in the news report that though the roads would be closed - that people weren't going to be allowed on the roadways to walk. Genius.

If this is true, I'd LOVE to hear the rationale. Because if you arent going to allow foot traffic on the street, why close it?

Top Bottom