• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I searched and didn't see this posted yet.

This is an extremely disturbing piece of news. A defenseless man, a father, having words with police officers on a NYC sidewalk. The man had not done anything wrong, had in fact just broken up a another fight. Not threatening, but upset. Police charge and throw him to the ground in a chokehold, man begs them to stop repeatedly, I can't breath, I can't breath. He dies.

The cop who killed the man with the chokehold has been taken off the street, had to turn in his badge and gun, but is apparently still on the force.

WARNING - Very very disturbing - I can't get this video out of my head. Something is very wrong here.

Man begged police to stop choking him moments before he died | Rare

NYPD cop who used chokehold on Eric Garner stripped of shield, gun ? New York Daily News | TexasPolitica.com

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I watched the video. If you want to call that resisting, fine, but he didn't put up much of a fight. At some point the chokehold needed to be released, but they just kept on until he died. The article says he may have died of a heart attack.

renauldo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 7, 2013
    2 close 2 Illinois
    The guy was selling individual cigarettes for $2 each. From his conversation preceding the take down he was no stranger to police. He's resisting arrest and out of control. Add to that he's FOUR HUNDRED pounds. If he would of shut his mouth and offered up some sign of submission to the arresting officers, he would have been taken in custody peacefully and home on bond in time for dinner. Instead he argued and offered resistance. He killed himself overeating and breaking the law.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    It really saddens me that the people of a country formed by smugglers and tax evaders upon principles of individual liberty now have made it an arrestable offense to sell your loose cigarettes.

It also saddens me that they have tolerated NYPD leadership running around without adult supervision for decades now, doing things like stop/frisk and running its own espionage dept in other states.

It also saddens me that there are a small minority of cops out there who so screwed up in the head that they lose sight of the petty and would choke a guy out against orders on what is a chicken**** arrest at best.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    It really saddens me that the people of a country formed by smugglers and tax evaders upon principles of individual liberty now have made it an arrestable offense to sell your loose cigarettes.

I thought this is what everybody wants and is supposed to solve our countries drug problems? Tax it they say....the problems will solve themselves they say...

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    He was not following orders. That's resisting.

Besides, After reading that "Al Sharpton" has taken charge, how can you take anything seriously.

Everything's a circus with him. :n00b:

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    The guy was selling individual cigarettes for $2 each. From his conversation preceding the take down he was no stranger to police. He's resisting arrest and out of control. Add to that he's FOUR HUNDRED pounds. If he would of shut his mouth and offered up some sign of submission to the arresting officers, he would have been taken in custody peacefully and home on bond in time for dinner. Instead he argued and offered resistance. He killed himself overeating and breaking the law.
    Also being a tall overweight man I can say with some certainty he was not resisting being arrested, he was trying to not be forcibly thrown to the ground, it's not quite as easy for us fat men as it is for skinny dudes. He didn't take a swing at anybody, he didn't push anybody, didn't do anything that I could see. I do wonder where the cigs for $2 each come into play, I didn't see or hear that in the video I saw, he did say ask everybody around, he was not selling anything, but even if he was tax evasion is hardly a death penalty case.
    Your statement about shutting his mouth and offering submission is really bothersome, we have what are called constitutional rights in this country, his were violated, he was murdered. Looks like even the NYPD superiors would agree with that.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Well, first off, the choke hold WAS released, at about 1:06 in that video clip.

Second, the response is typical almost any time someone is taken to the ground. It's the 'standard' response, any more, when some one is out numbered by LEO's, resists, and is taken down: "police brutality".

Third, the Officer being taken off street duty is pretty much standard ops during any such investigation. It's not 'proof' of anything. Besides, what happened to all those "innocent 'til proven guilty!" types? Doesn't apply to cops, hunh? Odd, since it's often decried that "cops should be treated the same as civilians!"

Fourth, WHY did this encounter occur. What actions prompted the response. It's obvious from Garner's own words that this isn't his first encounter with the police. Had Mr. Garner been combative in the past? What's the back story?

Fifth, the 'sources' cited, one of them being the 'conspiracy everything' "Police State" are certainly not to be considered "objective".

SHOULD a choke hold have been used? Well, that can be debated on both sides. If NYPD prohibits it, then it's departmental policy and that's what it is. But, did Mr. Garner die FROM the choke hold, or from something else, like a heart attack?

While the Officer may well be in the wrong in this instance, that can't 'automatically' be determined from the video and photos presented so far. I'm not part of the 'police are always wrong' group. Taking a guy that big to the ground IF that needs to be done is no 'simple matter'. There's just not many easy ways to do so. Anyone who doesn't think so should try it some time, as an exercise. Good luck.

Last, this photo is, and should be, enough to make ANYONE skeptical about this case:

esaw-garner-herbert-daughtry-al-sharpton.jpg

Last edited:

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I wonder how violent he was the other 30+ times he has been arrested?
    Why would that matter to you? Correct me if I am wrong but we are innocent until proven guilty, right? Even if he was guilty yesterday that does not mean he is today.
    Funny how you think it is ok for a cop to put somebody in a choke hold until they are dead but i would bet if I put somebody in a choke hold until they died, regardless of what caused the death, you would be all for my murder charges.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    He resisted arrest. Do tazers work on buffaloes? Sad he died but if the police give you an order comply and fight it in court. I don't know if the escalation of force was justified or not. This isn't my profession.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Well, first off, the choke hold WAS released, at about 1:06 in that video clip.

Second, the response is typical almost any time someone is taken to the ground. It's the 'standard' response, any more, when some one is out numbered by LEO's, resists, and is taken down: "police brutality".

Third, the Officer being taken off street duty is pretty much standard ops during any such investigation. It's not 'proof' of anything. Besides, what happened to all those "innocent 'til proven guilty!" types? Doesn't apply to cops, hunh? Odd, since it's often decried that "cops should be treated the same as civilians!"

Fourth, WHY did this encounter occur. What actions prompted the response. It's obvious from Garner's own words that this isn't his first encounter with the police. Had Mr. Garner been combative in the past? What's the back story?

Fifth, the 'sources' cited, one of them being the 'conspiracy everything' "Police State" are certainly not to be considered "objective".

SHOULD a choke hold have been used? Well, that can be debated on both sides. If NYPD prohibits it, then it's departmental policy and that's what it is. But, did Mr. Garner die FROM the choke hold, or from something else, like a heart attack?

While the Officer may well be in the wrong in this instance, that can't 'automatically' be determined from the video and photos presented so far. I'm not part of the 'police are always wrong' group. Taking a guy that big to the ground IF that needs to be done is no 'simple matter'. There's just not many easy ways to do so. Anyone who doesn't think so should try it some time, as an exercise. Good luck.

Last, this photo is, and should be, enough to make ANYONE skeptical about this case:

esaw-garner-herbert-daughtry-al-sharpton.jpg
    Photo makes me barf! What a racist snake

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I must add that the cop did a **** poor job of that choke hold on the guy.
    A choke hold is to prevent one from breathing. Clearly the guy was breathing because you can hear him saying repeatedly "I can't breath". He shouldn't have been able to say anything with a good hold. That cop went too easy on him.

Point is - if he's talking - he's also breathing.

(From my past life....)
    This reminds me of people that panic while swimming in the ocean and claim they're drowning and need to be saved while waving BOTH their arms and screaming clear and loud.
    1- Drowning victims don't put both hands over their head and still stay on the surface.
    2- Drowning victims usually can't scream clearly...............because they're drowning. :rolleyes:

Not following orders is now resisting? Cite please?

I can can tell you that in Indiana, except in the case of an order to drop a weapon, you are dead wrong.

If a cop orders you to do something and you just continue to swing your arms around and argue with him, whats going to happen to you? In any state.

If a cop is trying to detain you and cuff you behind your back and you push away while keeping your arms in front while struggling the whole time, what's going to happen to you? In any state.

Did I mention this is an Al Sharptin Show?

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    He resisted arrest. Do tazers work on buffaloes? Sad he died but if the police give you an order comply and fight it in court. I don't know if the escalation of force was justified or not. This isn't my profession.

I think a taser would have been a better option than a choke hold. With his size and fat it may not have been as effective as on a skinnier person, but most likely would have had some effect. The real question is whether a taser, or the use of force exhibited, was warranted and appropriate.

Top Bottom