Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Shooter

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I am surprised this has come up again. I thought the matter had been settled.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/23/he...enia.html?_r=0

Older men are more likely than young ones to father a child who develops autism or schizophrenia, because of random mutations that become more numerous with advancing paternal age, scientists reported on Wednesday, in the first study to quantify the effect as it builds each year.

Shooter

User Info Menu

Whoopsie. While the quacks were secretly recording each other for their latest round of conspiracy theory bingo, their paper was yanked.

This article has been removed from the public domain because of serious concerns about the validity of its conclusions. The journal and publisher believe that its continued availability may not be in the public interest. Definitive editorial action will be pending further investigation.

A bad day for antivaccinationists: A possible retraction, and the ?CDC whistleblower? issues a statement ? Respectful Insolence

Have no fear, they'll be back.

Shooter

User Info Menu

Yes, control of information is a sure sign of intellectual integrity.

User Info Menu

I regret that my coauthors and I omitted statistically significant information in our 2004 article published in the journal Pediatrics. The omitted data suggested that African American males who received the MMR vaccine before age 36 months were at increased risk for autism. Decisions were made regarding which findings to report after the data were collected, and I believe that the final study protocol was not followed.

I want to be absolutely clear that I believe vaccines have saved and continue to save countless lives. I would never suggest that any parent avoid vaccinating children of any race. Vaccines prevent serious diseases, and the risks associated with their administration are vastly outweighed by their individual and societal benefits.
    Still interested in what the omitted data was.
    Resident Warning Shot Statist.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by level.eleven
    Whoopsie. While the quacks were secretly recording each other for their latest round of conspiracy theory bingo, their paper was yanked.
    Hold up now, level.eleven, first things first.

Before we begin I think we should take a moment to review all the times you were dead wrong in this thread, peppering your comments with your usual condescension, insults, and racism towards Chinese scientists.

Quote Originally Posted by level.eleven View Post
    Again, the conspiracy theory quacks provide the scientific community with a good laugh.
    Some more analysis of this latest laugher.
    There is a reason this was published in an open access Chinese journal without an impact rating.
    They must crank out these whackdoodle papers to keep the scam alive.
    This is the reason actual biostaticians laugh at this finding. It is the same reason Wakefield and Hooker didn't go public with their conclusion. This is just more spin on the too many to soon conspiracy theory. A desperate spin that includes race baiting.
    Thankfully, there are actual epidemiologists and statisticians out there blogging about the bastardization of science.
    When you are prepared to man up and admit that you were wrong, then perhaps your future comments would hold some weight.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by T.Lex View Post
    Still interested in what the omitted data was.
    Which part are you unclear on? He has been working with Dr. Hooker for some time now. He led Dr. Hooker to the spot to look for the omitted results. That's why he filed a FOIA request for this particular dataset and analyzed it.

User Info Menu

I could not even provide a good a summary....other than the claims made in the OP are flat wrong: LINK

It has often been said that the parents promoting the idea that autism is a vaccine-induced epidemic are their own worst enemies. As the parent of a multiply disabled autistic child I can say without reservation that these groups are no friends to the majority of the autism parent community either. Nor are they friends to the real majority of our community: autistics. The vaccines-caused-an-autism-epidemic parents have refused to support any research which goes against their idea that autism is a vaccine-induced epidemic. They don’t support research into the prevalence of autism in adults. Likely because they worry that this will show that their epidemic idea is false. In the process we lose the chance to learn from the previous generations of autistics about what has worked and what has not. Information which is critical to this autism parent. These groups have failed to accept that the lower prevalence of identified autism in racial and ethnic minorities indicates that the prevalence numbers we so often hear are not the a true count of the fraction of our population that is autistic. Because to admit that is to admit that they are misusing the numbers they rely upon to claim an epidemic. Their lack of support has hindered attempts to improve identification and get appropriate services for autistics in racial and ethnic minorities. This is a point that is incredibly ironic given the way these groups are framing their recent news as you will see (or have seen if you read Ms. Ditz’ article linked above). On top of this they have produced a way over-the-top PR campaign about their news, demonstrating their deep hatred for the CDC. If I were to tell you that Andrew Wakefield is claiming that the CDC are worse than Adolf Hitler, Josef Stalin and Pol Pot (because, you see, in Mr. Wakefield’s eyes at least those dictators were sincere), would you believe me? Would you think I was making this up? If I said that Mr. Wakefield has played the race card in a disgusting way, claiming that the U.S. vaccine program is a new Tuskegee experiment, would you believe me? You can skip down to the bottom if you want to see that discussion and video. I’ll start with the science.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGOtDVilkUc
    Daniel GM1 USNR (R)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Streck-Fu
    I could not even provide a good a summary....other than the claims made in the OP are flat wrong: LINK
    Apparently you haven't been watching the news (or reading this thread), but the official press release is out and the theories presented in the OP have been shown to be correct.

A brief summary, for anyone else who wants to link bloggers hypothesizing that none of this happened (before the confession went public):

1. Dr. William Thompson and his fellow CDC researchers did a study that showed an increased risk of autism in African American children who were vaccinated early in their childhood. This correlation may or may not have been significant, but it merited public disclosure and further research.
    2. He and his colleagues sent a letter to the Director of the CDC (now the president of Merck's vaccine division) regarding this study, indicating that the results were troubling and that they needed to be addressed. You can find the letter here: http://ingunowners.com/forums/genera...ml#post5247899
    3. He and his colleagues introduced new filtering criteria that effectively removed the data that contributed to this correlation, then published the research.
    4. Dr. William Thompson felt that what he did was wrong and damaging to science and medicine, so he shared the details of this cover-up with Dr. Brian Hooker.
    5. Dr. Brian Hooker filed an FOIA request for the raw data behind this study and ran his own analysis, publishing it in a peer-reviewed medical journal.
    6. Yesterday, Dr. William Thompson published a press release, through his lawyers, admitting to all of these things.

Again, for those who haven't read the thread, I'm still not totally convinced that vaccines are a major player in the Autism arena. And this study doesn't prove that they are.

It does show us that vaccines ought to continue to be researched for safety and efficacy.

It does show us that the CDC is not above lying to us about vaccines, or any other toxin that might cause autism.

It does show us that 'science', as worshiped by the psuedo-skeptics, really is for sale.

Parents, study up. Consider the pros and cons, not just the propaganda pushed by the mainstream media. Consider all of the information available and then make your own informed decision. Your child is not just a part of the herd.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steveh_131 View Post
    Which part are you unclear on? He has been working with Dr. Hooker for some time now. He led Dr. Hooker to the spot to look for the omitted results. That's why he filed a FOIA request for this particular dataset and analyzed it.
    I don't think that's actually what happened. The CDC doc was talking to Hooker for a long time, but his statement (especially the part about not consenting to being recorded) indicates he was not "working with" Hooker at all.

Regardless, my point is that data was omitted that suggested a link between race/gender, MMR vaccine before 36 mos, and autism. But, it does not specify what that data was. It a statistical thing? Is it a sample size thing? Is it a difference of a standard deviation or .1 of a std. dev.?

What he "admitted" to could be any number of things. I'd like to know specifically what was omitted and what impact it had on the results. Everything else is rhetoric. (Not that there's anything inherently wrong with rhetoric.)
    Resident Warning Shot Statist.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast