• ...and so much more!
  • Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    New Palestine, IN
    Dangerous prank brings SWAT team down on gamer

A Littleton, Colorado man named Jordan Mahewson was raided by a heavily armed SWAT team thanks to a false shooting and hostage report, and all the chaos was captured on a Twitch game stream (see below). During a Counter-Strike session, Jordan "Kootra" Mathewson -- a founder of The Creatures -- suddenly noticed things around him were amiss. "Uh oh. This isn't good. They're clearing rooms. What in the world, I think we're getting swatted," he says in the video. Luckily, Mathewson stayed calm throughout the ordeal and was released a short time later.

On top of invading his offices, police locked down several schools and businesses in the Littleton, Colorado area. Suffice to say, the situation was extremely dangerous, and the police chief said "we have real guns and real bullets, and there's potential there for some tragedy."

The first thing I noticed was the cop taking his cell phone and rummaging through it. Apparently the Colorado police didn't get the memo on the recent Supreme Court ruling about warrant-less cell phone search and seizures.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I don't know that SWAT would be involved without a warrant. I thought it was interesting that as soon as the victim informed the police that their activities were being streamed, they immediately moved to shut it down. Apparently, they aren't interested in the idea of police action cameras.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I don't know that SWAT would be involved without a warrant. I thought it was interesting that as soon as the victim informed the police that their activities were being streamed, they immediately moved to shut it down. Apparently, they aren't interested in the idea of police action cameras.

What does SWAT have to do with a warrant?
    They are supposed to deal with circumstances that are beyond what the regular officer is trained/equipped to handle.
    Exigent Circumstances means they do not need to wait for a warrant.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    What does SWAT have to do with a warrant?
    They are supposed to deal with circumstances that are beyond what the regular officer is trained/equipped to handle.
    Exigent Circumstances means they do not need to wait for a warrant.

SWAT just happens to be stacked outside the door when exigent circumstances arise.

I would call that a coincidence above all coincidences.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    SWAT just happens to be stacked outside the door when exigent circumstances arise.

I would call that a coincidence above all coincidences.
    No.
    Reports of an armed gunman, killing people, now at address such and such.
    SWAT shows up, exigent circumstances mean they don't wait for a warrant.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Make it a 10 year mandatory felony. If the perpetrator is under 18, sentence is the same and must be continued in prison after the first portion of the sentence is served in juvenile detention.

And start (as in days of old) holding parents accountable for the actions of the minor child.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Make it a 10 year mandatory felony. If the perpetrator is under 18, sentence is the same and must be continued in prison after the first portion of the sentence is served in juvenile detention.

And start (as in days of old) holding parents accountable for the actions of the minor child.

I like that.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD

What good would that do? How would it prevent the kids from doing something foolish?

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    The worst thing about the rise of E911 and cell phones is the enhanced ability to make false police reports with arguably greater anonymity and fewer repercussions.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

Or you know... Stop kidding themselves that every threat is always going to be the real deal, and approach the situation READY for it to be real, but confirm before going in. I mean hell, if it's a hostage situation and they pulled that same stunt shown in the video, nobody would have come out of that alive.

It's 2014, it seems that people are out of touch with what's possible today.

cromus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Check out this thread on reddit. It has a lot of details of what happened that day. LINK
    Aslo, check out the twitter feed from the local news station. LINK

Here's the scanner audio combined with the video: LINK

He did an interview with the new. LINK

Last edited:
    Top Bottom