Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 286 of 305 FirstFirst ... 186 236 276 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 296 ... LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,860 of 3045

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hohn View Post
    I don't care one whit whether we have or not.

I'll start believing this hoax when all the powerful and wealthy people start acting like they actually believe it. When Greenpeace stops commuting execs by plane. When Al Gore has an electric bill less than $30,000. When the actors and actresses who claim to love the planet stop flying to Cannes and Venice and around the world on their luxury vacations, driving luxury (gas guzzler) cars, and living in massive (energy guzzling) homes.

All anyone really needs to know is that all the people who scream the most loudly about needing to do something are also saying: "you first". When they say "we" they mean "not me."

If they really cared about storms, they'd stop building--and rebuilding-- luxury beachfront homes.

In other words, it's all disingenuous dishonesty. None of the loudest voices pushing the climate issue actually believe they should have to do anything about it other than lecture me and you about how we peons are ruining their pristine planet with our lifestyles.
    As Rush says, "The issue is never the issue, the issue is always control." The climate change BS is not about supposedly saving the planet(like we actually any capacity to do so) it is about creating a threat so that more of us are compelled to give those in power more control. Giving up any of their own comfort/convenience/status symbols is not part of the plan.

Grandmaster LockStocksAndBarrel's Avatar

User Info Menu

When there are hurricanes, it's climate change. When there aren't hurricanes, it's climate change. When my nuts itch, it's climate change. When my nuts don't itch, it's climate change. Everything is climate change.

Now do you deniers understand?
    God bless America!

Practicing traditional carry.

Originally Posted by
    eric001YUP! It's the difference between using purple and being purple...

MODus Operandi

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hohn View Post
    I don't care one whit whether we have or not.

I'll start believing this hoax when all the powerful and wealthy people start acting like they actually believe it. When Greenpeace stops commuting execs by plane. When Al Gore has an electric bill less than $30,000. When the actors and actresses who claim to love the planet stop flying to Cannes and Venice and around the world on their luxury vacations, driving luxury (gas guzzler) cars, and living in massive (energy guzzling) homes.

All anyone really needs to know is that all the people who scream the most loudly about needing to do something are also saying: "you first". When they say "we" they mean "not me."

If they really cared about storms, they'd stop building--and rebuilding-- luxury beachfront homes.

In other words, it's all disingenuous dishonesty. None of the loudest voices pushing the climate issue actually believe they should have to do anything about it other than lecture me and you about how we peons are ruining their pristine planet with our lifestyles.

"Criminals are never materially handicapped by such rules; the only effect is to disarm the peaceful citizen and put him fully at the mercy of the lawless. Such rules look very pretty on paper;
    in practice they are as foolish and footless as the attempt of the mice to bell the cat. Such is my thesis, that the licensing of weapons is subversive of liberty and self-defeating in its pious purpose"

-Robert A Heinlein on Gun Control

User Info Menu

If I win a lottery, I think I'll get a PhD in data analysis (for credibility) and then make it my goal in life to use available data to show conclusively that human activity has a significant effect on global climate.

It's going to take while since data to support the hypothesis doesn't exist beyond flawed and/or fraudulent numerical models, but at least I'd be trying do to it the right way.

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

User Info Menu

We are Homo Ludens. We are those who play.

User Info Menu

"I got a shotgun,rifle and 4 wheel drive and country boy can survive!!!"

User Info Menu

So let me get this straight.

Even if we choose to believe their assertions without evidence, as millions of people do under the "97% of Scientists Agree" canard, even the most zealous of the true believers has to acknowledge that the rate of warming has slowed over the last 15 years or so.

How is it that the consequences are going to be worse?

"Scientists might want to write in capital letters, 'ACT NOW, IDIOTS,' but they need to say that with facts and numbers," said Kaisa Kosonen, of Greenpeace, who was an observer at the negotiations. "And they have."

The researchers have used these facts and numbers to paint a picture of the world with a dangerous fever, caused by humans. We used to think if we could keep warming below two degrees this century, then the changes we would experience would be manageable.
    Not any more. This new study says that going past 1.5C is dicing with the planet's liveability. And the 1.5C temperature "guard rail" could be exceeded in just 12 years, in 2030.

We can stay below it - but it will require urgent, large-scale changes from governments and individuals and we will have to invest a massive pile of cash every year, about 2.5% of global gross domestic product (GDP), the value of all goods and services produced, for two decades.
    So where are the actual facts?
    Where are the numbers that are not fantasy?

Facts?

<cricket chirping>

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    So let me get this straight.

Even if we choose to believe their assertions without evidence, as millions of people do under the "97% of Scientists Agree" canard, even the most zealous of the true believers has to acknowledge that the rate of warming has slowed over the last 15 years or so.

How is it that the consequences are going to be worse?

So where are the actual facts?
    Where are the numbers that are not fantasy?

Facts?

<cricket chirping>
    Facts? We dont need no stinking facts!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by d.kaufman View Post
    Facts? We dont need no stinking facts!

It used to be fun to ask a true believe to "show me the evidence," which invariably would devolve into them calling me a "science denier." When people who were either ignorant of or in total disregard of any legitimate scientific method of inquiry would lecture me on being a science denier, it was amusing. The more hubris they carried on their back, the better.

Now it's just tiresome. They're too invested in the beliefs for any positive outcome from interaction.

Never in modern history have people alleging scientific evidence for their claims gone to such great lengths to hide their raw data from the public. The hockey stick guy has prevailed on multiple lawsuits over FOIA requests for data gathered or generated while he was working for public universities and I still can't understand why the judges ruled as they did. In any other field of study, investigators are beyond eager to showcase their data, their methods, and the soft underbelly of their analysis so that both peers and skeptics can either confirm or refute with their own investigation or analysis. That's how science works!

What doesn't work that way is purposely attempting to mold public opinion using pseudo-science, appeals to authority, and outright lies.

INDIANA CONSTITUTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    It used to be fun to ask a true believe to "show me the evidence," which invariably would devolve into them calling me a "science denier." When people who were either ignorant of or in total disregard of any legitimate scientific method of inquiry would lecture me on being a science denier, it was amusing. The more hubris they carried on their back, the better.

Now it's just tiresome. They're too invested in the beliefs for any positive outcome from interaction.

Never in modern history have people alleging scientific evidence for their claims gone to such great lengths to hide their raw data from the public. The hockey stick guy has prevailed on multiple lawsuits over FOIA requests for data gathered or generated while he was working for public universities and I still can't understand why the judges ruled as they did. In any other field of study, investigators are beyond eager to showcase their data, their methods, and the soft underbelly of their analysis so that both peers and skeptics can either confirm or refute with their own investigation or analysis. That's how science works!

What doesn't work that way is purposely attempting to mold public opinion using pseudo-science, appeals to authority, and outright lies.
    yup
    "Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem."

"A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and substantial reason' why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The rights existence is all the reason he needs." Benson Everett Legg - Woolard v. Sheridan

If you're a noob, develop thick skin, and read the FAQs

Actaeon - act'-tee-on
    The death of Actaeon - http://www.paleothea.com/Myths/Actaeon.html