Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 355 of 366 FirstFirst ... 255 305 345 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 365 ... LastLast
Results 3,541 to 3,550 of 3653

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NKBJ View Post
    The only good part of the climate change agenda is that it could bring alternative energy technologies out of the closets they're hidden away in.
    If enough political force was brought to bear it might break the choke hold on controlling energy production and distribution.
    That's happening anyway. Even people who aren't caught up in the climate alarmism want green energy to work. I do. I think EVs are great. I wouldn't mind having one. When I was in the market for a new vehicle I thought long and hard about a Tesla. I decided they just weren't ready for prime time, because of issues with infrastructure, distribution and repairs. But they're very cool. So I bought a gas hungry V8 pickup truck.

ETA: The other day my wife and I were parked in a parking lot eating our Graeter's Ice Cream, and we saw one of those tiny little Fiats drive by. Wife remarked that little thing could probably fit in the bed. They gave us a dirty look as they passed by us, presumably in disapproval because of our vehicle choice. We weren't disparaging them because of their vehicle choice; they can drive what they want. We just thought it was funny that their's looked small enough to fit in the bed.
    Last edited by jamil; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:25.
    I have spoken.
    If you’re woke you dig it.
    My pronouns: **** off

User Info Menu

Vehicle lessons...
    1. The better 2/3's vetoed my high mpg work choice and said no, you need a four wheel drive. She was correct. I still had my head in southeast Texas where four wheel drive only lets you become stuck in more inaccessible locations. She had the 5 speed stick x4 two door Explorer command car with short wave and big tires to get her out of hurricanes but I never cared for one.
    2. Those little Mother Gaia cars don't do well with 'coons, much less deer. I've smacked three ('85, '97 & '17) deer and chances are can get another before hanging up my spurs. It makes for great hunting stories about dropping the buck* with your trusty Model '83 but I don't wants go there.
    3. Computerized all wheel drive is the greatest thing since sliced white bread.

*"Really, Model '83 what?" "uh, Toyota."

I still care....Really

User Info Menu

Vehicle lessons...
    1. The better 2/3's vetoed my high mpg work choice and said no, you need a four wheel drive. She was correct. I still had my head in southeast Texas where four wheel drive only lets you become stuck in more inaccessible locations. She had the 5 speed stick x4 two door Explorer command car with short wave and big tires to get her out of hurricanes but I never cared for one.
    2. Those little Mother Gaia cars don't do well with 'coons, much less deer. I've smacked three ('85, '97 & '17) deer and chances are can get another before hanging up my spurs. It makes for great hunting stories about dropping the buck* with your trusty Model '83 but I don't wants go there.
    3. Computerized all wheel drive is the greatest thing since sliced white bread.

*"Really, Model '83 what?" "uh, Toyota."
    Living here in Indy we have always had at least 1 4WD at the ready. There was a time we had 3 of them. MPG is the absolute last consideration for us. I learned early on that my family (not me but spouse/kids) had the ability to set into function the option I will call the dumbass magnet. They seemed to attract every dumbass for miles around when they left the driveway. Usually sitting stopped at a light or intersection and getting blasted from the rear. To the ensuing cry's of "I did not see you". This has happened so many times that when we look at a new/newer rig it tends to get bigger. Self preservation.
    Spouse rolls a 3500 series Chevy conversion van and I roll a GMC Sierra. We intend to win any vehicular confrontations.
    AKA..Thor. Odin son. God of thunder.
    But you can call me John.....Force.

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handgu...e-posting.html

User Info Menu

The only good part of the climate change agenda is that it could bring alternative energy technologies out of the closets they're hidden away in.
    If enough political force was brought to bear it might break the choke hold on controlling energy production and distribution.
    As long as I'm not forced to help pay for all it via my tax dollars, I think that's a great idea. If I am forced to pay for it with my tax dollars, I want a lot more control over which projects and research get funded, and that's never going to happen. Much of what was "invested" in alternative means of energy generation from 2009-2017 were semi-disguised payouts to interests favorable to the administration, e.g. the Solyndra scam that cost all of us about half a billion dollars.

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jamil View Post
    That's happening anyway. Even people who aren't caught up in the climate alarmism want green energy to work. I do. I think EVs are great. I wouldn't mind having one. When I was in the market for a new vehicle I thought long and hard about a Tesla. I decided they just weren't ready for prime time, because of issues with infrastructure, distribution and repairs. But they're very cool. So I bought a gas hungry V8 pickup truck.

ETA: The other day my wife and I were parked in a parking lot eating our Graeter's Ice Cream, and we saw one of those tiny little Fiats drive by. Wife remarked that little thing could probably fit in the bed. They gave us a dirty look as they passed by us, presumably in disapproval because of our vehicle choice. We weren't disparaging them because of their vehicle choice; they can drive what they want. We just thought it was funny that their's looked small enough to fit in the bed.
    The key thing that is missing is, we rational people don't want to current energy infrastructure eliminated long before the alternatives become viable. What the extreme left (and not so extreme in some cases) is to cease use of proven resources for reasons based on unproven claims. It would be like withholding an existing medication from a patient that is sustaining their life because of side effects that no one can prove exist and the patient want to continue, with the alleged intent of someday developing a new drug that might work okay and might not have that same side effect. It's the epitome of stupid to do something like that. It's aggressively stupid, in fact. On the scale of our energy needs, it's the kind of aggressively stupid that costs lives and spreads misery on a big scale.

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    As long as I'm not forced to help pay for all it via my tax dollars, I think that's a great idea. If I am forced to pay for it with my tax dollars, I want a lot more control over which projects and research get funded, and that's never going to happen. Much of what was "invested" in alternative means of energy generation from 2009-2017 were semi-disguised payouts to interests favorable to the administration, e.g. the Solyndra scam that cost all of us about half a billion dollars.
    This. If they want me to take them seriously about carbon reduction, updated designs for modestly sized reactors that can have a wider variety of site choices and help maintain distributed baseline load. Government/industry sponsored research at top universities on Thorium cycle reactors. I won't live to see a practical fusion power plant
    You may not be interested in war, but war is interested in you

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BugI02 View Post
    This. If they want me to take them seriously about carbon reduction, updated designs for modestly sized reactors that can have a wider variety of site choices and help maintain distributed baseline load. Government/industry sponsored research at top universities on Thorium cycle reactors. I won't live to see a practical fusion power plant

Yep. I choose for my money to go toward nuclear power plants. Clean, efficient, and about as renewable as it gets. And, more importantly, they work.

INDIANA CONSTITUTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

User Info Menu

Yep. One of the things i keep hearing in coverage of the Venice flooding is it is the second worst ever, with the worst being in '66. '66, WTF? Weren't we headed into another ice age as the climate hysteria of the day? Wouldn't that have meant dropping sea levels as more water was removed from the oceans as ice? WTF was happening in '66
    You may not be interested in war, but war is interested in you

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    The key thing that is missing is, we rational people don't want to current energy infrastructure eliminated long before the alternatives become viable. What the extreme left (and not so extreme in some cases) is to cease use of proven resources for reasons based on unproven claims. It would be like withholding an existing medication from a patient that is sustaining their life because of side effects that no one can prove exist and the patient want to continue, with the alleged intent of someday developing a new drug that might work okay and might not have that same side effect. It's the epitome of stupid to do something like that. It's aggressively stupid, in fact. On the scale of our energy needs, it's the kind of aggressively stupid that costs lives and spreads misery on a big scale.
    That is what I try to impart on the kids when I am at school. They have absolutely NO idea how much energy is required to support their lifestyle. If we went all solar and wind and what not today, we'd all have to go back to subsistence farming and half of us would die due to civil war.

They also are under the misguided notion that we can all live in quaint little villages and ride bicycles around town rather than drive evil cars.

Again, as long as we all want to be farmers, and don't mind killing most of our neighbors, I don't see why that wouldn't work out.

I also tried to explain that if we're all farmers, no one will have time to be engineers or doctors or researchers or artists or anything wasteful like that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ATOMonkey View Post
    That is what I try to impart on the kids when I am at school. They have absolutely NO idea how much energy is required to support their lifestyle. If we went all solar and wind and what not today, we'd all have to go back to subsistence farming and half of us would die due to civil war.

They also are under the misguided notion that we can all live in quaint little villages and ride bicycles around town rather than drive evil cars.

Again, as long as we all want to be farmers, and don't mind killing most of our neighbors, I don't see why that wouldn't work out.

I also tried to explain that if we're all farmers, no one will have time to be engineers or doctors or researchers or artists or anything wasteful like that.
    And when you were done explaining, did they respond, "OK boomer"?

Necessity is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.