• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Of course the police are paramilitary, always have been always will. The fire department is also paramilitary.

They base their rank structure and chain of command principles off tried and true methods the military adopted centuries ago.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    and how does the title even apply? "when they think we are not listening" he made the comments an a city council meeting that was open to the public, recorded, and televised live?

Man this was an easy one to poke holes in.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    and how does the title even apply? "when they think we are not listening" he made the comments an a city council meeting that was open to the public, recorded, and televised live?

Man this was an easy one to poke holes in.
    regardless of the title or the intention of the op or person who wrote the article. The police chief is the mayors man. He's a politician too. Not for one second have I ever really believed he is out only for the man on the beat.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    The police chief is the mayors man. He's a politician too. Not for one second have I ever really believed he is out only for the man on the beat.

always has been and always will be.... the good news is that for the most part, guys on the street get shielded from the political aspects of the chief. some stuff works its way down, but the vast majority of the role of the chief doesn't change the day to day on the street all that much. Even less so on the FD.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Is he speaking metaphorically or does Hite really think he is a soldier?

Methinks metaphor.

Methinks, given what we've seen and heard around this state when military tools and vehicles are concerned that he is not speaking metaphorically. Even Denny couldn't comment on that, (for obvious reasons).

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    If IMPD or LE in general were an army, Hite is pretty far removed from being a soldier. It's not an army, I served six years in the Army and and army IMPD ain't.

ghunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    nap-town
    The soldier metaphor is just a metaphor. Every day, I put my bag in my cruiser, log on my laptop, and tell my dispatcher that I'm "hittin' the trails". It doesn't mean that I really think I'm a cowboy. Although...

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I'm gonna go with metaphor. From day 1 our Chief has found a way to sneak a metaphor in every single time he opens his mouth about anything. This is no different.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    If I recal correctly, both "police" and "fire fighter" functions were originally performed by "soldiers" (certainly this is true for police). I recall the Romans having job-specific fire fighters which were not military, but even into modern times "soldiers" in some parts of the world do dual duty as "police." The only reason the modern American citizen cringes at the concept that police are becoming "militarized" is because we have learned to associate military-controlled states as "police states" where the government oppresses its people by use of the police backed by military power. Of course, the militarization of modern police agencies is happening basically as a way to maintain parity with the types of violent (even revolutionary) criminals with whom they have to contend these days.

And, of course, there are always some of us who appreciate "new toys" which have the potential to make our jobs easier or safer, even if opportunities to use them for their intended purpose are rare.

Top Bottom