Hong Kong Protests - An example of why the 2A is important for defending freedom

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    It would have helped justify a full-fledged crackdown by the PLA, like in 1989.

Was HK gun-friendly before the takeover?

I don't know how friendly they were but I remember seeing what I thought looked like gun stores over there when I visited.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    6crn6ud82pe31.jpg

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Their technique for controlling tear gas rounds is pretty nifty. I don't think I'd seen that here in the states.

Dang Chinese are out-innovating us at protests.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    This has me worried. My oldest daughter is now teaching in Shenzhen, just a stone's throw across the border from Hong Kong. She's already under intense covert observation by the Chinese government, and this won't help any.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    This has me worried. My oldest daughter is now teaching in Shenzhen, just a stone's throw across the border from Hong Kong. She's already under intense covert observation by the Chinese government, and this won't help any.

I really think you should repatriate her post haste if able. China is rapidly becoming a place not safe for people from the free world. Any excuse will be made to make an example of an American...I'm sure their courts are as just as those in the old Soviet Onion. With the Carrier Ronald Reagan currently in the Philippines tensions are only going to go up.

No job is worth a potential trip to the Gulag.

I like the Chinese people, Chinese food and drink...I H8 the ChiComs.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    As for the protestors in HK, this is not going to end well for them. Their riots and damage are becoming increasingly disassociated from any message they might be trying to convey. They don't want to become part of ChiComland and lose all their freedoms; unfortunately for them that boat has sailed. They awoke late to find themselves disarmed and surrounded by a heavily armed foe.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I hear those tanks a clankin,

they're commin round the bend,

and I ain't seen no freedom, since, I don't know when.

I'm stuck in Hong Kong city,

and time keeps draggin on.

Those tanks they keep a clankin,

down to old Hong Kong.

For the really young Google Folsom Prison Blues

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Yesterday the spokesperson for the Hong Kong and Macau Office of the State Council used the official language of Beijing crisis management stating that the ChiComs have "tremendous power" and anyone who engages in "violence and crimes...will be held accountable." He claimed that a small group of violent radicals were causing the unrest being spurred on by outside forces. "We would like to make clear to the very small group of unscrupulous and violent criminals and the dirty forces behind them: those who play with fire will perish by it... At the end of the day, they will eventually be punished."

The language used...the fire metaphor...indicates that the Communist Mandarins have given the go ahead to use force. Now HK is in the position of giving them a reason to not use it. Given another round of violent demonstration and them tanks will be a clankin and the One China two systems concept (lie) will be at an end.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The language used...the fire metaphor...indicates that the Communist Mandarins have given the go ahead to use force.

Or at least they want people to believe that force has been approved. That's basically the same rhetoric they've used earlier, along with the video.

Now, I'm actually surprised they haven't intervened yet, except for a lightweight version of Putin's little green men (thugs with sticks in Hong Kong). Something is holding them back from direct action, and I don't know what it is.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    It's the first time that they have used a fire reference in an official public statement. It is their ultimatum for the protesters to stand down.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Or at least they want people to believe that force has been approved. That's basically the same rhetoric they've used earlier, along with the video.

Now, I'm actually surprised they haven't intervened yet, except for a lightweight version of Putin's little green men (thugs with sticks in Hong Kong). Something is holding them back from direct action, and I don't know what it is.

Fear that it would push the rest of the west to overtly side with Trump relative to China if they burn the place down?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Sounds like Marco Rubio is proposing a Domino Theory Redux.

Rubio on Twitter said:
    Because the spread of authoritarianism will eventually pose a threat to our own democracy.

Yes. That it an incomplete sentence. Because Twitter.

I guess he has a WSJ editorial that elaborates, but its behind a paywall for me that I don't care enough about to bypass.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere

FYSA, Shang Xiaoming, director of the HK and Macau Affairs Office said in Shenzhen that "If the situation worsens further, and there is turmoil that the Hong Kong government is unable to control, the central government absolutely will not just watch without doing anything."

China sees the US as being responsible for the HK issue (it's far easier to blame others for your problems than to see oppression and the desire for freedom as the cause). Expect to see Americans in ChiComland abused for it.

I hope your daughter makes it out.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Pics of the USian attache meeting with protest leaders didn't help.

As a policy matter, I'm totally good with it, but it does allow the narrative to be steered a certain direction.

I'd like it more if the current administration, at some level (maybe ambassador-level) would come out and say that we support peaceful protests in furtherance of democracy or something. Our statements have been pretty tepid, or even supportive of the Chinese. (Which is a bit schizophrenic when taken with the escalation of the trade issues.)

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Sounds like Marco Rubio is proposing a Domino Theory Redux.

Yes. That it an incomplete sentence. Because Twitter.

I guess he has a WSJ editorial that elaborates, but its behind a paywall for me that I don't care enough about to bypass.
    Rubio has been trying to sound the alarm on the Chicoms for quite sometime while everyone else is focused on Russia.

IMO China is the bigger threat.

Top Bottom