Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepsandguns View Post
    My initial reaction to the new "assessment" was negative, but I am glad I live in a place that has the forethought to make the investments in infrastructure before they are a problem. This was especially highlighted during the drought a couple years ago when the surrounding communities were running out of water and we were fine because of well system we put in place.
    Interesting.

From my perspective, the new tax is to pay for things we already built. We had the budget to maintain them when we built them. But then, we built new stuff that wasn't supported in the budget, so now we have to play a bit of a monetary shell game to get new revenue to maintain the stuff we should be able to budget for without it.

Likewise, the sewer issues that are now being used to show why we "need" the new tax have been around for years. Truly, almost since Carmel's founding. (Carmel sits on some of the lowest ground in the county - which makes things like the artesian well.) "Forethought" would have had those items budgeted and fixed much earlier.

Money is fungible. It is about priorities.
    Resident Warning Shot Statist.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepsandguns View Post
    I understand where you come from completely. On the state and federal level, I always cringe at the reckless spending. But when I can see my tax dollars going into my own community, I'm ok with that. If our taxes were sky high, I wouldn't like it. But as it stands, our taxes are very low compared to many other places.
    But taxes require the use of force, so you're essentially condoning the use of force against your neighbor for cosmetic cover-ups. Just because you don't mind your tax dollars being spent that way, doesn't mean your neighbors are as accepting of it.

I'm actually a fence-sitter on the issue because the libertarian side of me cringes at the thought of government having anything to do that keeps it in session more than one month out of the year, sheriff excepted. But I also believe in the right of self-governance, and everything up to the state level has my grudging acceptance to behave like mini-tyrants.

Quote Originally Posted by T.Lex View Post
    Interesting.

From my perspective, the new tax is to pay for things we already built. We had the budget to maintain them when we built them. But then, we built new stuff that wasn't supported in the budget, so now we have to play a bit of a monetary shell game to get new revenue to maintain the stuff we should be able to budget for without it.

Likewise, the sewer issues that are now being used to show why we "need" the new tax have been around for years. Truly, almost since Carmel's founding. (Carmel sits on some of the lowest ground in the county - which makes things like the artesian well.) "Forethought" would have had those items budgeted and fixed much earlier.

Money is fungible. It is about priorities.
    Carmel is a black hole for tax dollars. My family actually lived in Homeplace (College Meadows neighborhood) and they were fighting annexation right up until the point we left (I don't know where that's at now.) One of the main reasons for opposition was the fact that that area already had city water and sewer, one of the main "benefits" Carmel was trying to sell. And for some of us, being covered by Hamilton Co. Sheriff as opposed to Carmel PD was important. When they got the message that water and sewer were non-starters, they started in with the "Well, we can give you sidewalks and streetlights." Puh-lease. Carmel will say or do anything to justify taxing.
    Come to the river.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 88GT View Post
    But taxes require the use of force, so you're essentially condoning the use of force against your neighbor for cosmetic cover-ups. Just because you don't mind your tax dollars being spent that way, doesn't mean your neighbors are as accepting of it.

I'm actually a fence-sitter on the issue because the libertarian side of me cringes at the thought of government having anything to do that keeps it in session more than one month out of the year, sheriff excepted. But I also believe in the right of self-governance, and everything up to the state level has my grudging acceptance to behave like mini-tyrants.

Carmel is a black hole for tax dollars. My family actually lived in Homeplace (College Meadows neighborhood) and they were fighting annexation right up until the point we left (I don't know where that's at now.) One of the main reasons for opposition was the fact that that area already had city water and sewer, one of the main "benefits" Carmel was trying to sell. And for some of us, being covered by Hamilton Co. Sheriff as opposed to Carmel PD was important. When they got the message that water and sewer were non-starters, they started in with the "Well, we can give you sidewalks and streetlights." Puh-lease. Carmel will say or do anything to justify taxing.
    One of any number reasons I shed no tear when we moved from Bloomington 10+ years ago now. If those people want to fritter money away on homeless shelters, market themselves as a homosexual vacation destination, saving dilapidated movie theaters, so be it. I say more power to them--but I chose to not participate.
    INGOer #18,319

User Info Menu

My family has lived here since 1959. When I bought my house from my grandmother she welcomed me to the slums of Carmel. I thought she was joking but after a few years I got it. I live in what became the Arts District. If you have a residence in the Arts District the city could care less about you. I will vote for anyone that runs against mayor Brainard.

I could go on but I'm getting an upset stomach thinking about what I have been put through here.

chuck
    Last edited by chuckp; 10-30-2014 at 16:47. Reason: edit
    Clouding the matter with facts on a daily basis.

User Info Menu

When I lived in Mohawk apartments as a teen, I envied the kids that lived in "Old Town" Carmel (now the ADD).

Intentionally or not, the places to economically live in Carmel are decreasing all the time.

Marksman

User Info Menu

I always seem to find things in the last place I look

User Info Menu

Yeah, I could only get through the first dozen paragraphs before my gag reflex was overwhelmed.

In contrast:
    Will Carmel debt push new tax on to residents? | WISH-TV

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by T.Lex View Post
    Yeah, I could only get through the first dozen paragraphs before my gag reflex was overwhelmed.
    What else did you expect from the NRDC?
    Come to the river.

User Info Menu

Is that who that was? I thought it was the FOJB. ("Friends of Jim Brainard.")

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

If you lived in or near Hamilton Co. and drove through it regularly, it became clear decades ago that there were traffic issues in Carmel caused by the population explosion the area experienced. At one point Hamilton Co. was touted by realtors as the fastest growing residential area in the country, like that was a good thing! You didn't have to be a genius to figure out that fixing the traffic flow problems would make you look like one. Brainard seems to have fooled a lot of people. The chickens will be coming home to roost soon enough........in a roundabout way!

If your crystal meth dealer has all his teeth, he's a cop!

Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast