Less than two weeks to the general election. Where is the candidate info?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I don't vote along straight party lines, so I try to read at least a little about as many candidates as possible. To date, I've only been able to find the official candidate list and a couple of special interest candidate guides. The NRA guide is here. Are there no candidate info guides this year or has my search-fu simply failed?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I'd suggest you do a search by district (congressional, house, etc) and see who's running and visit their sites, not some 3rd party site. You could try looking at I Side With, to get a listing of candidates based on issues, then search out those specific candidates sites to read up a bit more on them and the issues.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Yeah. I was hoping to avoid that, but I may have to go that way. In the past, I was always able to find a site that had summaries of candidates positions on various issues in a format that would take about 1/10th the time to read than searching for each candidate and hunting down their positions individually. Thanks for the link.

Last edited:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I'd suggest you do a search by district (congressional, house, etc) and see who's running and visit their sites, not some 3rd party site. You could try looking at I Side With, to get a listing of candidates based on issues, then search out those specific candidates sites to read up a bit more on them and the issues.
    The problem with taking someone at face value is that it's so damn easy for them to lie. We've seen recently the Kentucky race where one candidate is officially stating her support for the coal industry, while her aides are being caught saying that she's just giving lip service to the voters because she knows that position is the only one that will get her elected. She has no intention of supporting the coal industry (whatever that translates to) if/when she is elected.

With that in mind, there's a part of me that doesn't even care about casting a vote these days.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    The problem with taking someone at face value is that it's so damn easy for them to lie. We've seen recently the Kentucky race where one candidate is officially stating her support for the coal industry, while her aides are being caught saying that she's just giving lip service to the voters because she knows that position is the only one that will get her elected. She has no intention of supporting the coal industry (whatever that translates to) if/when she is elected.

With that in mind, there's a part of me that doesn't even care about casting a vote these days.
    There's more than a bit of truth to that, but it's a starting point. Many candidates can be contacted through their sites and you can ask them more direct questions. Many also list events at which they will be available for questioning, (the candidates of the 5th congressional district just had a forum and were asked many questions). Even with just a couple of weeks to go there's still time to ferret out the facts and at least get a good look at the candidates.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Screw it. I'm voting for nothing but unelectable spoilers this time around. Smug self-importance and condescension are their own rewards.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I'll pass on the NRA suggestions. Apprently, it escaped their notice that there are also libertarians on the ballot. They do the voters of the US a disservice.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    10151253_703365159723616_1186017467_n.png

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Here is the score card from Bob Barr's group for sitting members of the Senate and House. Since he is a Libertarian Presidential candidate, it might be more up your alley.

http://www.libertyguard.org/sites/default/files/2014 Voter Scorecard_Web_v3.pdf
    LOL. Bob Barr was a carpetbagger of the worst sort. Didn't vote for the schmuck when he ran and couldn't care less who he endorses now. Hell, the .pdf you linked to is a bunch of blank spaces for the most part. Looks like he and his group aren't capable of doing squat. I'll stick to my plan. Visit the candidates sites, see what they say they're about and contact them if I need too. I'll check with other sources to see how they've voted or said they'll vote.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I found it interesting. Coats got a B and Donnelly an F.
    They list the 10 votes that they used to grade them on.
    He is hardly being a shill for any party. None of our Congress critters for Indiana got an A. My own Republican Congresswoman got a C based upon not voting to eliminate the indefinite detentions and blanket NSA spying.

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I got a flier in the mail a few days ago that listed all the Democratic candidates that are running for local, state and federal offices. The purpose of the add seemed to be: 1) get democrats to go vote, and 2) convey that their candidates are not Obama.

I'm a bit surprised that I didn't get anything from Republicans considering that Republicans seem to dominate the area I live in.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    I found it interesting. Coats got a B and Donnelly an F.
    They list the 10 votes that they used to grade them on.
    He is hardly being a shill for any party. None of our Congress critters for Indiana got an A. My own Republican Congresswoman got a C based upon not voting to eliminate the indefinite detentions and blanket NSA spying.
    Donnelly is not someone that I intend to vote for. My better half contacted him about amnesty for illegal immigrants and he made a big song and dance about Hoosier values, standing up for what it right, the law being applied fairly to all, not being part of the Democrat consensus...and then he voted in line with his party.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Here is the score card from Bob Barr's group for sitting members of the Senate and House. Since he is a Libertarian Presidential candidate, it might be more up your alley.

http://www.libertyguard.org/sites/default/files/2014 Voter Scorecard_Web_v3.pdf

I don't trust Bob Barr. With that said, there is some interesting data there. I'm don't agree with his selection of certain votes or the weight scale he places on some of them.

For example, "Cloture on Nomination of Richard Cordray for Director of Bureau of Consumer Finance Protection" was chosen as one of the most important criteria, and weighted as a 20-pointer, the highest weight given.

I think I could have found some more critical votes to include. However, I do appreciate being able to look at the votes and judge for myself.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I got the GOA guide in the mail a few days ago and the NRA the next day. That means both websites have them by now. The JFPO has one on the site as well. All it takes is looking for them to fing them all over the place.

Top Bottom