• ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    7th Stepper just forwarded this link to me. I read it and had to post.

If You Want To Know What Raising The Minimum Wage Does To The Economy, Look At Seattle - Chicks on the Right

You see, min wage, as presented by a former coworker, was the issue that showed me the flawed premise of liberalism. Once that card fell, the rest of the house went with it.

BTW, from the article, an average business owner was making $28K/yr.

At $15/hr, his employees are each making over $31 for full time work.

I guarantee that those business owners are putting in more than 40/wk. So.... where is it just that the guy taking the most risk and putting in the most work makes the least amount of money? Social justice, my a**!

Blessings,
    Bill

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Remember this is a liberal entitlement cause. Haven't you heard it? "People DESERVE a living wage." So you couple that with what we know about businesses, they are inherently greedy and evil and the only reason people aren't paid more already is because the evil and greedy owners of the businesses are being their normal greedy selves and depriving "hard working employees" of the dignity of a "living wage."

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    And people wonder why Atlas would Shrug. Of course the only people who act as if his doing so is a surprise are those along for the free ride. Instead of being appreciative of his efforts for those years of being carried along those now forced to walk won't; they'll pull out the knives and turn to carve up what is left before turning on each other.

And yes, the 'minimum wage' is just another aspect of that free ride. It is reflected in everything we buy, it is magnified in every step of the production and distribution process...but it's only really paid by those still willing to work for what they get. The eternal struggle continues but we can't win it (even temporarily and locally) until we put a well placed round in the cranium of political correctness.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I can't afford to hire people now... I can only imagine what would happen if the minimum wage was that high.

The semi-skilled trades I need would all be expecting so much more than the minimum wage so they would be even harder for me to hire

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    The nationwide trend to increase the minimum wage is a liberal triumph that will hasten the demise of America's former greatness.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Think I read the same article. The average restaurant profit margin was something like 4%, and even with the phased in increases, the first jump in minimum wage, not even to $15, was enough to wipe out that margin.

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    The minimum wage in North Dakota (near the oil fields) is a lot higher than they want to set.

I understand McDonalds has to pay $18 just to get people. So the default "minimum wage" is higher with a thriving economy.
    (And no, they aren't paying $6 for a Big Mac)

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Seems to me, much of this revolves around the strength of the economy. When it is growing robustly, jobs are being created and labor can gain leverage when it comes to raising wages. As the competition for workers increase, a given worker can pick and choose among more choices. Therefore, to attact the better employees, employers must compete.

On the other hand, when the economy is weak and fewer jobs are being created, the opposite occurs. Workers must compete with one another for the available jobs. Since labor doesn't have the leverage to raise wages through natural, economic means, they turn to the government and the populist sympathizers among them to do the work for them. This is dangerous to our country. It is in our best interest to somehow retrain these assistance seeking workers to demand government set policies that encourage economic expansion rather than set policies on employers.

bmiley1963

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Forgive me if I am wrong, but wasn't minimum wage put in place for teenagers working part-time jobs? It was never intended for those working 40 hours per week and trying to make a living. It was for kids to be able to take their girls out on dates and pay their first car payment.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Think I read the same article. The average restaurant profit margin was something like 4%, and even with the phased in increases, the first jump in minimum wage, not even to $15, was enough to wipe out that margin.

If your only making 4%, you are doing it wrong. Might as well sell your business and invest in some decent quality bonds.

Restaurants are a tough business, though. LOTS of failures drag the industry average down. It's certainly not an industry I'd care to be in, especially as an independent player without franchise marketing support.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    If your only making 4%, you are doing it wrong. Might as well sell your business and invest in some decent quality bonds.

Restaurants are a tough business, though. LOTS of failures drag the industry average down. It's certainly not an industry I'd care to be in, especially as an independent player without franchise marketing support.

I imagine the investment is not so much the income, but the accrued worth of the business once you sell or retire. 4% is certainly not horrible.

The Least Profitable Businesses In The U.S. - Forbes

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I imagine the investment is not so much the income, but the accrued worth of the business once you sell or retire. 4% is certainly not horrible.

The Least Profitable Businesses In The U.S. - Forbes

Some industries rely on scale. Amazon's margins are horrible, but scale and diversified products make that ok. Restaurants don't have that luxury. If you aren't doing 10 to 12% you are probably dying.

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    Forgive me if I am wrong, but wasn't minimum wage put in place for teenagers working part-time jobs? It was never intended for those working 40 hours per week and trying to make a living. It was for kids to be able to take their girls out on dates and pay their first car payment.
    Racist.....Hater.....Heartless....probably rich.......
    living, living, living wage..
    single mothers.....children, don't forget the children....
    human sacrifice....dogs and cats living together.....mass hysteria

I forgot;
    Blood in the streets.....PRIVELEDGE! Your blinded by you PRIVELEDGE!

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Nope. It was put in place due to abusive labor practices after the Depression.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    That and a blind faith in Keynsian principles.....it would have​ to be blind.

Like most things, it has advantages and disadvantages. I doubt many modern folks truly want to go back to labor conditions as they existed in the WWI and Depression Era. They'll loudly bemoan the disadvantages but happily suck up the advantages without thinking twice, and apparently not even realizing the advantages they enjoy in many cases.

Top Bottom