• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Pope Francis has joined his predecessors in calling for a World Government. In his latest encyclical letter, Laudato Si, the Pope wrote a dissertation on environmentalism, laying out a litany of "sins" against "Sister Earth" which he thinks should be combated by a new "world political authority."

These eco-crimes include include "excessive anthropocentrism" at the expense of nature, deforestation and wetland destruction for the purpose of agricultural cultivation, and human-caused global warming from greedy fossil fuel consumption. The pope says that increased use of air-conditioning is particularly corrupt.

Pope Francis is also passionate about government-enforced social justice. He wrote that wealthy nations owe a "social debt" to the poor and impoverished people of the world, a debt which can be paid by increased funding and "better distribution of wealth."

It would be one thing if Francis wanted Catholics to voluntarily change their ways and voluntarily live according to (his interpretation of) the Bible. However, that is certainly not what the pope is writing about. He is clear that he wants international legal authorities enforcing his eco-agenda.

I have trudged through the rambling letter and quoted the pope in full context. See for yourself.

53. These situations have caused sister earth, along with all the abandoned of our world, to cry out, pleading that we take another course. Never have we so hurt and mistreated our common home as we have in the last two hundred years. Yet we are called to be instruments of God our Father, so that our planet might be what he desired when he created it and correspond with his plan for peace, beauty and fullness. The problem is that we still lack the culture needed to confront this crisis. We lack leadership capable of striking out on new paths and meeting the needs of the present with concern for all and without prejudice towards coming generations. The establishment of a legal framework which can set clear boundaries and ensure the protection of ecosystems has become indispensable; otherwise, the new power structures based on the techno-economic paradigm may overwhelm not only our politics but also freedom and justice.

54. It is remarkable how weak international political responses have been. The failure of global summits on the environment make it plain that our politics are subject to technology and finance. There are too many special interests, and economic interests easily end up trumping the common good and manipulating information so that their own plans will not be affected. The Aparecida Document urges that “the interests of economic groups which irrationally demolish sources of life should not prevail in dealing with natural resources”.[32] The alliance between the economy and technology ends up sidelining anything unrelated to its immediate interests. Consequently the most one can expect is superficial rhetoric, sporadic acts of philanthropy and perfunctory expressions of concern for the environment, whereas any genuine attempt by groups within society to introduce change is viewed as a nuisance based on romantic illusions or an obstacle to be circumvented.

73. Enforceable international agreements are urgently needed, since local authorities are not always capable of effective intervention. Relations between states must be respectful of each other’s sovereignty, but must also lay down mutually agreed means of averting regional disasters which would eventually affect everyone. Global regulatory norms are needed to impose obligations and prevent unacceptable actions, for example, when powerful companies dump contaminated waste or offshore polluting industries in other countries.

174. Let us also mention the system of governance of the oceans. International and regional conventions do exist, but fragmentation and the lack of strict mechanisms of regulation, control and penalization end up undermining these efforts. The growing problem of marine waste and the protection of the open seas represent particular challenges. What is needed, in effect, is an agreement on systems of governance for the whole range of so-called “global commons”.

175. The same mindset which stands in the way of making radical decisions to reverse the trend of global warming also stands in the way of achieving the goal of eliminating poverty. A more responsible overall approach is needed to deal with both problems: the reduction of pollution and the development of poorer countries and regions. The twenty-first century, while maintaining systems of governance inherited from the past, is witnessing a weakening of the power of nation states, chiefly because the economic and financial sectors, being transnational, tends to prevail over the political. Given this situation, it is essential to devise stronger and more efficiently organized international institutions, with functionaries who are appointed fairly by agreement among national governments, and empowered to impose sanctions. As Benedict XVI has affirmed in continuity with the social teaching of the Church: “To manage the global economy; to revive economies hit by the crisis; to avoid any deterioration of the present crisis and the greater imbalances that would result; to bring about integral and timely disarmament, food security and peace; to guarantee the protection of the environment and to regulate migration: for all this, there is urgent need of a true world political authority, as my predecessor Blessed John XXIII indicated some years ago”.[129] Diplomacy also takes on new importance in the work of developing international strategies which can anticipate serious problems affecting us all.

More reading: Pope's Environmental Encyclical Calls for World Government

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    That man needs to keep his attention on his denomination. He has no world government authority. He does not speak for as many people or entities as he thinks he does.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Not the first time

The Vatican's urging for World Government did not begin with the current pope. Francis bolstered his argument by quoting Benedict XVI, and Benedict XVI did the same by quoting John XXIII. This idea goes back a long way.

Here it is, again in full context. Benedict wanted the world government to have "real teeth" and to participate in global gun control.

Pope Benedict XVI, CARITAS IN VERITATE (2009), paragraph 67.

67. In the face of the unrelenting growth of global interdependence, there is a strongly felt need, even in the midst of a global recession, for a reform of the United Nations Organization, and likewise of economic institutions and international finance, so that the concept of the family of nations can acquire real teeth. One also senses the urgent need to find innovative ways of implementing the principle of the responsibility to protect[146] and of giving poorer nations an effective voice in shared decision-making. This seems necessary in order to arrive at a political, juridical and economic order which can increase and give direction to international cooperation for the development of all peoples in solidarity. To manage the global economy; to revive economies hit by the crisis; to avoid any deterioration of the present crisis and the greater imbalances that would result; to bring about integral and timely disarmament, food security and peace; to guarantee the protection of the environment and to regulate migration: for all this, there is urgent need of a true world political authority, as my predecessor Blessed John XXIII indicated some years ago. Such an authority would need to be regulated by law, to observe consistently the principles of subsidiarity and solidarity, to seek to establish the common good[147], and to make a commitment to securing authentic integral human development inspired by the values of charity in truth. Furthermore, such an authority would need to be universally recognized and to be vested with the effective power to ensure security for all, regard for justice, and respect for rights[148]. Obviously it would have to have the authority to ensure compliance with its decisions from all parties, and also with the coordinated measures adopted in various international forums. Without this, despite the great progress accomplished in various sectors, international law would risk being conditioned by the balance of power among the strongest nations. The integral development of peoples and international cooperation require the establishment of a greater degree of international ordering, marked by subsidiarity, for the management of globalization[149]. They also require the construction of a social order that at last conforms to the moral order, to the interconnection between moral and social spheres, and to the link between politics and the economic and civil spheres, as envisaged by the Charter of the United Nations.

A couple years later, emissaries of Benedict XVI released a report that elaborated on his goals, directly called for a World Central Bank and a World Government.

Vatican Council, “Towards Reforming the International Financial and Monetary Systems in the Context of Global Public Authority” (2011):

These measures ought to be conceived of as some of the first steps in view of a public Authority with universal jurisdiction; as a first stage in a longer effort by the global community to steer its institutions towards achieving the common good. Other stages will have to follow in which the dynamics familiar to us may become more marked, but they may also be accompanied by changes which would be useless to try to predict today.In this process, the primacy of the spiritual and of ethics needs to be restored and, with them, the primacy of politics – which is responsible for the common good – over the economy and finance. These latter need to be brought back within the boundaries of their real vocation and function, including their social function, in consideration of their obvious responsibilities to society, in order to nourish markets and financial institutions which are really at the service of the person, which are capable of responding to the needs of the common good and universal brotherhood, and which transcend all forms of economist stagnation and performative mercantilism.

3. An Authority over Globalization

On the way to building a more fraternal and just human family and, even before that, a new humanism open to transcendence, Blessed John XXIII’s teaching seems especially timely. In the prophetic Encyclical Pacem in Terris of 1963, he observed that the world was heading towards ever greater unification. He then acknowledged the fact that a correspondence was lacking in the human community between the political organization “on a world level and the objective needs of the universal common good”. He also expressed the hope that one day “a true world political authority” would be created.In view of the unification of the world engendered by the complex phenomenon of globalization, and of the importance of guaranteeing, in addition to other collective goods, the good of a free, stable world economic and financial system at the service of the real economy, today the teaching of Pacem in Terris appears to be even more vital and worthy of urgent implementation.In the same spirit of Pacem in Terris, Benedict XVI himself expressed the need to create a world political authority. This seems obvious if we consider the fact that the agenda of questions to be dealt with globally is becoming ever longer. Think, for example, of peace and security; disarmament and arms control; promotion and protection of fundamental human rights; management of the economy and development policies; management of the migratory flows and food security, and protection of the environment. In all these areas, the growing interdependence between States and regions of the world becomes more and more obvious as well as the need for answers that are not just sectorial and isolated, but systematic and integrated, rich in solidarity and subsidiarity and geared to the universal common good.

More reading:

Vatican Council Calls for World Government, Central Bank (2011)

The Vatican Calls for World Government - Forbes (2011)

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    The Papacy has always been or tried to be a major world power, this is not surprising. Now the ecological disaster thing I agree with.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    If running the AC is bad, my wife has condemned us to hell, for sure.

I have great respect for my Catholic friends, family, their church, their traditions, and beliefs. There are many aspects I support but world governance is not one of them. Government force to attain the pontiff's vision is antithetical to freedom.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The Papacy has always been or tried to be a major world power, this is not surprising. Now the ecological disaster thing I agree with.

The Vatican is considered its own country, with sovereign status. Because of this it is no surprise.

Reminds me of Dwight from The Office.

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    He has definitely been very political which I don't believe is correct. I am Catholic and I do read what he says and I try to find the teachings in it. At times due to outside parties political agendas they twist and take out of context his words. However this latest one is one I will take with a grain of salt. These do not hold any specific weight within the church. It is a shame he has went this route with these encyclicals. Really Miss Saint John Paul the second as the pope.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Francis came up in the Jesuit order in South America, which is a hotbed of "Liberation Theology." Taken in doctrinal terms (from what I have read and heard about this "leaked" encyclical) the idea that rich Christians have a duty to share with the poor has a biblical background. Not often mentioned that I have heard is that Francis also ties the Global Warming POV to the logical fallacy that sees the "world" as in need of salvation, but doesn't feel the same about human babies-in-the-womb. Since the Pope has his facts wrong about Global Warming, I don't feel too badly about ignoring that teaching; just as I'm sure others will ignore his teaching about the evil of abortion.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I wonder if his "holiness" enjoys A/C on a particularly warm Roman afternoon? And how does he get around the world without consuming petroleum? I'm sure none of his food comes from crops grown on former wetlands, either. He decries anthropocentrism, but he really suffers from the typical malady of would-be do gooders: anything he does is justified because his cause is righteous. I'm sure he and Al Gore would get along famously.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I don't know why he thinks he's in charge. Whatever he says doesn't really matter to me.

So he doesn't use the a/c? Yeah right.

Top Bottom