• ...and so much more!
  • 9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Finally a sensible move.
    Kind of a long story but it makes a point.
    Just after Hurricane Katrina went through the family doctors office I was working for went down to southern Mississippi; Long Beach actually. I had a 'swamp person' tell me, after finding out where we were from, " the war is finally over" and actually meant it.
    That was an eye opener!

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Even Wal-Mart was shamed to act: Walmart to stop selling Confederate flag merchandise - CNNPolitics.com

Hopefully Georgia and Mississippi will see the writing on the wall and join civilization.

Now that's wrong. The battle flag IS the heritage of a great many Southerners. Those wishing to wear that part of their history (if it's THEIR history), and any business wishing to sell the flag, shouldn't be shamed into turning their back on that part of their history.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Owning human beings and fighting to own human beings is something to be ashamed of.

If I thought the flag meant that, solely, I'd agree. And while that portion certainly falls underneath that umbrella, imo, it encompasses a great deal more than that.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    What do you think that flag meant to Dylan Roof?

What do you think it means to every racist that tells us that the flag stands for "freedom" or "The Tenth Amendment" or whatever other stalking horse nonsense they come up with?

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Little late, but I guess better late than never. Never understood why DOJ never ordered them to take it down.

Now to get MS and GA back in line.

For once the Feds left well enough alone. The states should be making these decision. I'm glad SC is finally getting it right. By making their own decision, they own it. If the Feds forced the decision, they would resent it and have something else to point to with regards to union oppression.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I consider the notion that the Civil War and by extension the Confederate battle flag are all about slavery and racism and maybe another issue or two completely asinine. That said, I also consider this to be a battle not worth fighting for the purpose of mending some of the division that a certain president of questionable qualification seems hell-bent on exacerbating. I could build a case for predictions going either way in the case of the South Carolina legislature, so I will be not surprised and surprised at the same time regardless of the outcome.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Let's get rid of the US flag too, since the US killed and displaced countless numbers of Native Americans. It stands for genocide, based on its history.

Or does the fact we fought against Germans twice trump that?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Let's get rid of the US flag too, since the US killed and displaced countless numbers of Native Americans. It stands for genocide, based on its history.

Or does the fact we fought against Germans twice trump that?

Winners fly the flag that they want. And who started hostilities between English Colonists/Americans and Native Americans? Didn't Native Americans think they were tricking white settlers (when those settlers paid for land) because Native Americans had no concept of land ownership? They seemed to get pretty upset when that concept was explained to them at the end of a barrel.

Top Bottom