Breaking: Per SCOTUS, Same-Sex Marriage is now law of the land.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'd like to see some sort of protection for churches here. Allow them to maintain the right to deny a same-sex marriage. Surely, they will be targeted soon.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I'd like to see some sort of protection for churches here. Allow them to maintain the right to deny a same-sex marriage. Surely, they will be targeted soon.

Churches already have the capability to deny non-congregants their services. It's always been that way. Now you want extra special privileges for them? They are already covered well enough.

Last edited:

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area

You mean "perform" same sex marriages, don't you? A church now has no legal basis for denying other services to same sex couples.

I didn't agree with the decision, but it's now the law of the land and perhaps the vitriol will fade in time. Time to move on to other issues (for me).

sbu sailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    South of Center...

As non-profits, churches already have that protection. A for-profit "chapel" a la Vegas, does not. I believe if a church has a "profit" building like a meeting hall, they can be sued for denying the venue. Not truly sure of that, but I think they can. They cannot be sued for the pastor refuses to perform the service, or denied use of the church building itself.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Churches already have the capability to deny non-congregates their services. It's always been that way. Now you want extra special privileges for them? They are already covered well enough.

I don't think so. The lawsuits will come.

No church should be forced to do anything they don't want to do. I'm willing to put a lot of money on a bet that people will try. We'll see.

They cannot be sued for the pastor refuses to perform the service, or denied use of the church building itself.

I'm not confident that people will care. This will be the next big issue.

sbu sailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    South of Center...
    So the gay marriage ruling means there's now case precedent to force states to recognize CCW permits from other states, right?

While people are jumping up and done clamoring for this and that, remember that every time something like this happens it degrades the states rights to govern themselves. This type of all encompassing "federal gubment reach" is what sparked the first civil war.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Churches already have the capability to deny non-congregates their services. It's always been that way. Now you want extra special privileges for them? They are already covered well enough.

Privileges? You mean the right to worship and practice your faith is a privilege? Your attitude in this is quite mainstream. And what you consider privileges will soon be gone. Pastors will be performing marriages or suffering the consequences. I support government staying out of marriage altogether. No licensing, no complicated tax code, no government definitions. But government is involved, and they will enforce this civil right over human right. Mark my words.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Churches should get out of the marriage business. Let Justices of the Peace conduct them.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Can a Baptist sue a Catholic Church for not holding/performing a ceremony? Nope. Cases may be filed my good man, but they won't see the inside of a court.

You underestimate the power of the screaming masses. Media will latch onto those cases and make them an issue.

We will see. That's just where I see it going.

Top Bottom