Well, It doesn't look like Walker can be trusted either. We'll see.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    As I read it, Walker is looking to alter the bill. Nothing has been finalized and Walker wasn't the author/sponsor. I think this post may be a little premature. Let's see how it shakes out before we go after Walker. IMO this guy has clearly proven he is a conservative. The Dems have scrutinized him seven ways from Sunday. All they missed is he passed gas once in the first grade. (purple) At this point, I see him as our best best to take the White House.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I am especially disturbed by making the legislation retroactive to the day before and using it to cover the tracks of whoever inserted the language and providing cover all future such activities. If, as a legislator, you believe it you should own it.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I am especially disturbed by making the legislation retroactive to the day before and using it to cover the tracks of whoever inserted the language and providing cover all future such activities. If, as a legislator, you believe it you should own it.

:+1:

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Bug, you are aware that Democrats have been using such statutes in Wisconsin to conduct lawfare against their political opponents?

Walker is acting in self-defense.

By increasing restrictions to what the public should know about what their lawmakers are doing? That's begging for abuse and corruption.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Read through the links JTScribe. Why not openly go after the law being used to sanction these activities while highlighting the abuses? Why slip in effective immunity for yourself and powerful friends under cover of an unrelated bill and use a retroactive provision to cover everyones tracks? How many wrongs make a right, I didn't think two as enough.

Kirk, you are well versed in the law. If the folks mentioned in the articles JTScribe linked are being investigated and could possibly be charged under an existing law, changes to open records provisions would not help them, no? They would have already committed their 'infractions' under the old statutes. So whereas Walker may be giving himself breathing room, he wouldn't be helping those already under investigation.

The backpedaling has already begun, Scott Walker, Republicans back away from open records changes

Note these changes were slipped in just after Walker is being sued, but that could be coincidental timing. Note the part where legislators (Republicans) say they were assured by the governor's office that the provisions would not be vetoed. This is not the same as being so assured by the governor himself but does imply some level of prior knowledge and consent

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I would like to like Walker. He just has this sort of "smarm" factor and this doesn't help. I'm glad he's backing away from it but I'd rather it be because he realizes it goes against transparency than simply because he fears the optics.

DanSwanky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Springfield
    Being at all surprised that a politician of either party is found to be dishonest is puzzling to me. Every election people buy in to the rhetoric they spout to get votes and are miffed when they do not fulfill what they promise.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    IF there were ever ANY law passed that included ONLY the singular content of a law I will be surprised.
    It's pretty common to throw all kinds of things into a bill that have nothing to do with a law's intent.
    Read the fine print for yourself and don't pay much attention to the media when it comes to politics. Too much spin for the real truth to come to the surface

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    As I read it, Walker is looking to alter the bill. Nothing has been finalized and Walker wasn't the author/sponsor. I think this post may be a little premature. Let's see how it shakes out before we go after Walker. IMO this guy has clearly proven he is a conservative. The Dems have scrutinized him seven ways from Sunday. All they missed is he passed gas once in the first grade. (purple) At this point, I see him as our best best to take the White House.

Maybe, but wait until it comes out that he did it TOWARDS a liberal teacher...

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013

I've known John Chisholm for close to 50 years. He used to be a hard core right wing infantry Lt. stationed in the DMZ of Korea Then he got a job out of law school in the MKE DAs office and succeeded McCann into the DA role. In MKE County you had better listen to your leftist masters or you are SOL.

Surprisingly I also know Schimmel from Bug's links. Went to HS with both of them and in Chisolm's case, grade school too.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Keep in mind when reading these articles on alleged 'scandals' by Republican candidates for president that the press, especially in Wisconsin, and especially in Wisconsin when talking about Walker, have their knives out. As Glenn Reynolds says, the MSM are Democratic operatives with bylines. Whatever the foibles of the bill, the articles will go heavy on superlatives of malfeasance and tut-tutting quotes by the Dems.

There is no one running for office that can't be made to look like they have feet of clay, but we are not electing God or the Messiah. After the absolute kleptocratic mess of the last 7 years, any one of the Republican candidates (including Trump) would be a huge improvement, and Walker would be very very good. He held course through some pretty vile opposition, saw his policies vindicated by election, court challenges, and actual results, and that is worth a lot.

Top Bottom