'Religious freedom' bill picks up momentum in House.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    'Religious freedom' bill picks up momentum in House | TheHill

Pressure is mounting on House GOP leaders to call a vote this month on a religious-freedom bill banning the federal government from punishing churches, charities or private schools for actions in opposition to same-sex marriage.

The legislation, dubbed the First Amendment Defense Act, is gaining steam. Nearly 50 Republicans — including Majority Whip Steve Scalise (La.), Policy Chairman Luke Messer (Ind.) and Republican Study Committee Chairman Bill Flores (Texas) — signed on just last week, pushing the total number of GOP co-sponsors to 115.

Think this'll get as much backlash nationally that the Indy RFRA got? I'm all for protecting churches.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    We have the 1st Amendment. Despite the errant belief about the wall of separation, it's quite clear what congress cannot do. What will this bill do that a bonafide constitutional amendment will not do? Double dog dare 'em?

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    We have the 1st Amendment. Despite the errant belief about the wall of separation, it's quite clear what congress cannot do. What will this bill do that a bonafide constitutional amendment will not do? Double dog dare 'em?

There does seem to be a habit of making laws for things that are already covered by law... like Indiana trying to ban gay marriage (when it was already banned [and ironically, caused it to be unbanned]), then RFRA to protect religious entities (which was already sort of a thing)...

Lot of these laws trying to make something "double-illegal" are backfiring, and I think a national RFRA is going to be spun the same way Indiana's was.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    There does seem to be a habit of making laws for things that are already covered by law... like Indiana trying to ban gay marriage (when it was already banned [and ironically, caused it to be unbanned]), then RFRA to protect religious entities (which was already sort of a thing)...

Lot of these laws trying to make something "double-illegal" are backfiring, and I think a national RFRA is going to be spun the same way Indiana's was.

I agree. Just uphold the constitution. All this machinations just waste time and tend to create unintended consequences.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The only purpose for these double laws is to give lawmakers a conservative report card.

deal me in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2012
    Avon
    Republicans have controlled both houses of congress for over 6 months and what have they done to make government smaller? Nothing. Instead we get more silliness and redundant laws. Even if they win the presidency and control congress they still won't do anything. Liberals and the press will attack their policies and they will back down like the pussies they are.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Republicans have controlled both houses of congress for over 6 months and what have they done to make government smaller? Nothing. Instead we get more silliness and redundant laws. Even if they win the presidency and control congress they still won't do anything. Liberals and the press will attack their policies and they will back down like the pussies they are.

I really don't intend this to be snarky or anything but...how would a Libertarian controlled congress get anything shrinking the size of government past this president?

deal me in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2012
    Avon
    I really don't intend this to be snarky or anything but...how would a Libertarian controlled congress get anything shrinking the size of government past this president?

Maybe they wouldn't, but why not fight the good fight? Make Obama veto popular tax reform. Defund wasteful spending. Show me that you want to do the right thing and maybe I'll believe in you. But no, they don't want to take any risks, they just want to run against obamas record and hope for the best.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Maybe they wouldn't, but why not fight the good fight? Make Obama veto popular tax reform. Defund wasteful spending. Show me that you want to do the right thing and maybe I'll believe in you. But no, they don't want to take any risks, they just want to run against obamas record and hope for the best.

I wish the Republicans would make Obama veto good legislation. Instead they pass dumb ass trade legislation that gives the president even more power.

deal me in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2012
    Avon
    I wish the Republicans would make Obama veto good legislation. Instead they pass dumb ass trade legislation that gives the president even more power.

I think that trade bill was all about follow the money. Big business and big banking wanted it passed so it got passed. I think that's usually the case when republican leadership and Obama are on the same side.

MAJB Retired

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    :(

Unfortunately it actually takes 60 votes in he Senate to bring a bill to the floor for debate, and the Republicans are just short of that number.

deal me in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2012
    Avon
    :(

Unfortunately it actually takes 60 votes in he Senate to bring a bill to the floor for debate, and the Republicans are just short of that number.

Make red state dems vote against tax reform. Make them vote against defunding the irs. Can't remember ever seeing the republicans stand on principle. It's always about winning the next election and never about doing what's right.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    If our government actually governed by "rule of law", we have the 1st Amendment to the US Constitution,
    AND
    we have Indiana Constitution
    Article 1
    Section 3. Freedom of religious opinions
    Section 3. No law shall, in any case whatever, control the free exercise and enjoyment of religious opinions, or interfere with the rights of conscience.

Top Bottom