Scrounging brass
    I'll help:
    machine-gun-facebook-like1-1-png.76859

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I'm repurposing this thread for my own use. :)

Basically, a few news stories in recent weeks have reminded me that there are places around the world that do things differently than us here in the US. Have a different mindset. Tolerate different government acts.

So, with that in mind, I bring you this fascinating story.

Stolen Degas painting Les Choristes found on a bus - BBC News

Sure, the recovery of a stolen Degas is more than enough reason to celebrate. But, what makes this INGO worthy IMHO is this little blurb about how it was found.

None of the passengers admitted to owning the painting.
    Customs officials discovered the painting inside a suitcase. Nobody has been arrested.
    It was found during a random search, according to Reuters news agency.

There was a RANDOM stop of a bus. After that, there's basically 2 ways this went down:
    - The passengers were all asked to gather their personal belongings, and anything not claimed was searched.
    - The personal belongings were searched (either comprehensively or randomly), this was found, and no one claimed it.

Either way, other than a border checkpoint, I can't see this happening in America.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    More importantly, what kind of Philistine just tosses something like that in a suitcase. In France, that alone should get him the guillotine

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Indeed.

Part of me wonders if, instead of "random," there was a tip.

I'm thinking painting goes in suitcase, suitcase gets left on bus then anonymous phone call is placed.

Whoever out that painting on there was long gone before the bus was searched.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I have told this story before, but it goes along with T.Lex's point. When I was in Russia the police had random checks of cars driving down the road. An officer simply stood next to the road and pointed with a baton at any car he wanted to pull over. The driver would dutifully pull over next to a police car that was a few hundred yards down the road where the occupants would be questioned. This actually happened to the car I was riding in once. We had to produce our passports and explain why we were driving down the road; destination, intentions once we got there. It was a common courtesy among the Russian drivers that every time you passed a police car you would then flash your headlights at oncoming traffic to warn them there was a police car ahead. Everyone did this going both ways, so there was always a warning.

The same thing could happen to you simply walking down the street. We were told to never look an officer in the eye, always stare at your shoes, otherwise you will seem suspicious to them. This also happened to me once, but when I replied in English the officer quickly waved me on.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Egypt arrests mother of woman at centre of BBC report - BBC News

An Egyptian woman who spoke to the BBC about the torture and forced disappearance of her daughter has been arrested by Egyptian authorities on suspicion of spreading false news.
    She has been detained for 15 days for questioning, officials said.

I wonder if "spreading false news" might ever be criminalized here in the US. I think some INGOers would support something like that.

Top Bottom