• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy1981

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Becoming the 6th state that allows terminally ill people to end their lives with the assistance of their physicians. Good on governor Brown and the state legislators for doing the humane thing. It's very unlikely we'll ever see a similar law in Indiana given who runs this state. Sad to say. We can but hope.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...assisted-suicide-for-terminally-ill-patients/

Do you trust the government getting into the business of death? Government has a form grip on healthcare and by permitting this you are letting the genie out of the bottle.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Good for California. They must be so proud of themselves, solving this problem.

Do you trust the government getting into the business of death? Government has a form grip on healthcare and by permitting this you are letting the genie out of the bottle.

They've done so well with marriage, what could possibly go wrong??

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I understand not wanting to see people suffer. But I'm reluctant to celebrate further embracing of the culture of death that seems to be growing in this country.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Good for them. It always strikes me as ironic that the supposed champions of "small government" freak out if the government isn't restricting the most personal and intimate decisions. Deciding if you wish to keep fighting a terminal illness is certainly one of the most personal decisions anyone can make.

DNRs, hospice care with focus on pain management vs heroic measures to prolong the life for little purpose other than pain, those have been GOOD things for the terminally ill. The right to decide for themselves if they wish to surrender that fight should be in their hands as well.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Good on governor Brown and the state legislators for doing the humane thing. It's very unlikely we'll ever see a similar law in Indiana given who runs this state. Sad to say. We can but hope.

Yes....We can only hope and pray that Indiana can get a Governor like Jerry Brown and we can model ourselves after California...That beacon of freedom and individual rights, that "shiny state on the hill" that is a light in the darkness for individual liberty........

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Anyone against this should watch the movie - "You Don't Know Jack" about Jack Kevorkian.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    This might turn out to be a good thing to help address the rising cost of medical care -- especially as we evolve into a single payer system. If "suicide" becomes legal everywhere, when you are confronted with the bureaucrat that says you no longer qualify for further treatments or your funding allotment has been exhausted for the year, except for the suicide pills, you might be glad you have one last option available to you.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County

The government isn't "getting into the business of death". The state legislature in Cali made it so doctors and patients will NOT face government sanction for the doctor aiding in helping their patient die a dignified death. The same law exists in 5 other states and works just fine. Frankly, I'd love to see it here in Indiana and in the other states, too. It's returning a basic right to people and making it so those who care about them will not face government sanctions. There is no genie, and if there were, it's long out of the bottle and there has been no perceptible harm.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    We didn't have a right to choose when our life began, we don't have the right to choose when it ends. The concepts of assisted suicide or euthanasia are total nonsense. What the state has the power to grant, it has the power to impose. In the words of the late John Paul II, “True compassion leads to sharing another’s pain; it does not kill the person whose suffering we cannot bear.” Compassion does not involve killing. In actuality, the word compassion means to “suffer with”, killing and compassion have nothing in common. We are not animals to be put down when our health fails us. Death will come soon enough on its own. This life is very short compared to the next one, and the way we die may have a lot to do with the quality of our eternal life.

Jarhead77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Noblesville
    Being terminally ill, my heart breaks. I could choose to die on my own, here in Indiana, without the help of a dr. I don't see how this law is helpful other than to ensure a Dr gets paid more? Someone? Buhler? Seems there is a VERY slippery slope here? Maybe I'm missing the point?

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Being terminally ill, my heart breaks. I could choose to die on my own, here in Indiana, without the help of a dr. I don't see how this law is helpful other than to ensure a Dr gets paid more? Someone? Buhler? Seems there is a VERY slippery slope here? Maybe I'm missing the point?

No sir...I believe you got the point exactly...The irony is how some folks pick and choose what death penalty they are a fan of...Unborn children and sick folks? Hell yeah...Convicted murderers? Not so much...

22f1859164124ddac16ad217d74cfe09185b865b862e4a6637269af7b634b25d.jpg

And thank you for your service....

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    We didn't have a right to choose when our life began, we don't have the right to choose when it ends.

I'd disagree, and unless the gov't is going to enforce religious beliefs and concerns of the afterlife, I'm not sure how we lack the right to decide when to end our lives. The whole point of hospice care is to allow someone to die in comfort. Without getting too personal, I've been through the hospice thing twice and it was better for everyone, including the dying, then the hospital with "heroic measures" in place and keeping people alive solely to be alive and prolong their suffering. The Do Not Resuscitate Orders, Living Wills, etc. have been a boon to those people.

More importantly YOU don't have a right to decide when SOMEONE ELSE decides to end their life, via government or otherwise. This is not someone who's mentally ill, has a temporary and surmountable obstacle, and in the heat of the moment decides to end their life. This is a process for people with no chance, who are of sound mind, and who have shown they understand the consequences to end their own suffering. What, exactly, gives you the right to interfere in that decision?

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I'd disagree, and unless the gov't is going to enforce religious beliefs and concerns of the afterlife, I'm not sure how we lack the right to decide when to end our lives. The whole point of hospice care is to allow someone to die in comfort. Without getting too personal, I've been through the hospice thing twice and it was better for everyone, including the dying, then the hospital with "heroic measures" in place and keeping people alive solely to be alive and prolong their suffering. The Do Not Resuscitate Orders, Living Wills, etc. have been a boon to those people.

More importantly YOU don't have a right to decide when SOMEONE ELSE decides to end their life, via government or otherwise. This is not someone who's mentally ill, has a temporary and surmountable obstacle, and in the heat of the moment decides to end their life. This is a process for people with no chance, who are of sound mind, and who have shown they understand the consequences to end their own suffering. What, exactly, gives you the right to interfere in that decision?

I disagree. You're assuming a right to yourself that you don't have. Killing is killing no matter if that person is someone else or yourself. Why this fascination with death? Why do we turn to death as the answer to every difficult situation in life? Why is it that you can arrest someone for murder? You don't consider that a violation if their rights? Yet if I say no you can't kill yourself, somehow now I am violating your rights? I think we turn to death too much, always under a guise of one sort or another. Dress it up as you wish. Killing is killing. We have shown ourselves too easily given to killing. Roe v Wade passed but was only supposed to be for extreme cases. Now it's abortion on demand and 55 million Americans lost, and there was a good reason in the mind of every mother who made that decision. How long before mandatory euthanasia for those who cost too much to keep alive? If Roe is any indication, not long at all. We are headed in the wrong direction.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    We didn't have a right to choose when our life began, we don't have the right to choose when it ends...

I disagree. You're assuming a right to yourself that you don't have. Killing is killing no matter if that person is someone else or yourself...Dress it up as you wish. Killing is killing...

You have a most curious interpretation of individual rights. Namely, you simply do not seem to believe in them, or not very much, on any level that matters.

Whom do you believe owns an individual's life?

Do you believe in the right of self-defense with a firearm ("killing")?

Last edited:

CountryBoy1981

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    The government isn't "getting into the business of death". The state legislature in Cali made it so doctors and patients will NOT face government sanction for the doctor aiding in helping their patient die a dignified death. The same law exists in 5 other states and works just fine. Frankly, I'd love to see it here in Indiana and in the other states, too. It's returning a basic right to people and making it so those who care about them will not face government sanctions. There is no genie, and if there were, it's long out of the bottle and there has been no perceptible harm.

The 64-year-old Oregon woman, whose lung cancer had been in remission, learned the disease had returned and would likely kill her. Her last hope was a $4,000-a-month drug that her doctor prescribed for her, but the insurance company refused to pay.What the Oregon Health Plan did agree to cover, however, were drugs for a physician-assisted death. Those drugs would cost about $50.
    "It was horrible," Wagner told ABCNews.com. "I got a letter in the mail that basically said if you want to take the pills, we will help you get that from the doctor and we will stand there and watch you die. But we won't give you the medication to live."

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=5517492&page=1

Oregon heath plan had decided the $4,000.00 a month wasn't in the budget but the $50.00 death pill was.

Top Bottom