Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: NPR and more 'expertise' (stupidity) on guns and violence.

User Info Menu

NPR and more 'expertise' (stupidity) on guns and violence.

Need to get this bunch off the public teat once and for all.

Three social scientists called as experts. Do they have a solution for "gun violence"? Why yes, more laws!

Not one legal expert or criminologist, or dissenting view.

I wonder if the berks at NPR ever feel like they're working for Pravda? And feel bad about it, that is.

Researchers Explore How To Reduce U.S. Gun Violence Deaths : NPR

NPR is a total disgrace to journalism...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cobber View Post

Three social scientists called as experts. Do they have a solution for "gun violence"? Why yes, more laws!

Not one legal expert or criminologist, or dissenting view.

I wonder if the berks at NPR ever feel like they're working for Pravda? And feel bad about it, that is.

Researchers Explore How To Reduce U.S. Gun Violence Deaths : NPR

Journalism? WTF is that?
    I have spoken.
    If you’re woke you dig it.

User Info Menu

And since that law was passed, there have been no mass shootings in Australia.
    They aren't even hiding their lies anymore.
    I told you to buy ammo, mags and lowers. Get on it.

User Info Menu

Typical liberal idiocy- treat crimes and evil like a public health issue.

Go back to peddling your unreasonable BMI standards and leave the big issues to the adults.
    ​Bullies suck. They also make you stronger.

KG1
    Grandmaster

User Info Menu

Same old crap. UBCs, ban "assault weapons"....blah...blah ...blah. Oh and that stupid "Smart gun" lunacy.
    Last edited by KG1; 10-12-2015 at 17:00.

User Info Menu

I heard this on NPR Sunday AM. I kept screaming "Oregon already has a universal background check and it didn't stop Obama's son" as I was cleaning the kitchen.

User Info Menu

MILLER: Yes, by any measure, anyway you cut it, the United States is exceptional in terms of our lethal firearm violence.
    Utter nonsense. Scores of nations lead us in murders per capita.

An average American is not, like, 20 percent more likely to be killed with a gun or 50 percent more likely. They are 10 times more likely to be killed with a gun than in France or Australia, Canada.
    You really want to go into who is pulling the triggers in the USA?

After a brutal massacre there in the 1990s, legislation was passed that banned assault weapons and a non-voluntary buyback of handguns and other assault weapons. And since that law was passed, there have been no mass shootings in Australia.
    Plenty of mass murders in Australia. You, professor, are going door to door to collect hundreds of millions of guns in a nation the size of the United States? What is your compliance rate in California? 3% maybe. How about Eloi Heaven, New York state? Maybe 2%.

You expect us to believe that a government that cannot round up and deport 15 million illegal aliens is so competent as to round up and confiscate 400 million guns? You are delusional on a Paulian level.

How is your drug war going? You winning that yet? Any drugs smuggled into the USA across your magic border?

Let's take the weight of pot smuggled into the USA and convert that to AK-47s shall we?

In 2002, 24 million pounds of marijuana was smuggled (not counting domestic supply) into the USA. 24 million pounds of marijuana is 2.4 million AK-47s each year. AKs are not destroyed with use and it's a lot more than 24 million pounds now.

Well, what happens in jurisdictions where there's lots of guns is that the criminals are much more likely to use guns in their robberies or in their assaults. And the result from that is an increase in the murder rate.
    Have you ever visited Chicago, professor?

Where there are more guns, there are more suicides and there are more homicides.
    Oddly no one in my house has committed suicide or homicide.

A universal background check would require checks for all of those legal sales, and, he says, there's some direct evidence of its effectiveness.
    Great. Fantastic. So, you want a background check for "legal sales". Smart.

Tell us, if ubcs worked so great why did Indiana repeal its ubc in 1998?

2007, when Missouri repealed their requirement of a universal background check on handguns, what we saw was an increase in homicide and that the repeal had the effect of costing lives in Missouri.
    Right, because Ice Dog and Ray ray WERE doing background checks before that date.

Yeah, one practical issue that we should be pursuing is to develop and introduce smart guns or personalized guns.GARCIA-NAVARRO: Explain what that is.
    COOK: Well, it is a gun that will only fire if it's in the hands of the owner.
    Great. Mandate it for the cops and government agents especially the SS detail around Obama. See how that goes over.

GARCIA-NAVARRO: David Hemenway focused on the accidental deaths of kids who find a loaded gun in their home and take out the magazine, thinking it's safe now.
    HEMENWAY: And there is a bullet left in the chamber, and for most of these semiautomatics, when you pull the trigger, the bullet shoots out. And you could blame, blame, blame or you could really solve the problem, as we do in lots of areas, which is by changing the product, which is make it so when you take out the magazine, the gun won't fire.
    You don't know anything about guns, do you, Professor?

One of the first things they do at API250 is take a Smith (my class it was a 5906) take the magazine out and then fire the pistol without the magazine in it.

GARCIA-NAVARRO: Matthew Miller's practical proposal doesn't require legislation or changing the product. It's just a simple message to gun owners - lock up your guns.
    No. The Supreme Court held this was illegal. Not doing it.

MILLER: Right now, there are people who have guns in their homes stored loaded and unlocked with the best of intentions to protect themselves and their families. But the reality is - and we know this from several good studies - that they're actually imperiling themselves and their families.
    I demand every single firearm in the White House and in Kenwood be locked up. We simply cannot endanger our President any longer.

Expert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cobber View Post

i disagree.
    Possibly NPR is the last remaining organization that claims any journalistic integrity.

Send them an email with your thoughts and sources to provide an expert analysis of the issues and possible solutions.

Who knows? Gun talk on NPR?
    Click and Clack are in reruns.

KG1
    Grandmaster

User Info Menu

2007, when Missouri repealed their requirement of a universal background check on handguns, what we saw was an increase in homicide and that the repeal had the effect of costing lives in Missouri.
    John Lott put the cherry picking conclusions of this study in perspective.

What does Missouri show about the benefits from universal background checks?: Nothing really, The forthcoming Journal of Urban Health study by the Bloomberg School of Public HealthCrime Prevention Research Center

User Info Menu

What a crock of crap.

It's ok! I'm an INGO member!

Todd Young (R-IN)
    https://www.young.senate.gov/contact

Mike Braun (R-IN)
    https://www.braun.senate.gov/contact-mike

Find your U.S. Rep
    http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/

/l ,[____],
    l---L -OlllllllO-
    ()_)-()_)-o-)_)