NPR and more 'expertise' (stupidity) on guns and violence.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Need to get this bunch off the public teat once and for all.

Three social scientists called as experts. Do they have a solution for "gun violence"? Why yes, more laws!

Not one legal expert or criminologist, or dissenting view.

I wonder if the berks at NPR ever feel like they're working for Pravda? And feel bad about it, that is.

Researchers Explore How To Reduce U.S. Gun Violence Deaths : NPR

NPR is a total disgrace to journalism...

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Three social scientists called as experts. Do they have a solution for "gun violence"? Why yes, more laws!

Not one legal expert or criminologist, or dissenting view.

I wonder if the berks at NPR ever feel like they're working for Pravda? And feel bad about it, that is.

Researchers Explore How To Reduce U.S. Gun Violence Deaths : NPR

Journalism? WTF is that?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Typical liberal idiocy- treat crimes and evil like a public health issue.

Go back to peddling your unreasonable BMI standards and leave the big issues to the adults.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Same old crap. UBCs, ban "assault weapons"....blah...blah ...blah. Oh and that stupid "Smart gun" lunacy. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    MILLER: Yes, by any measure, anyway you cut it, the United States is exceptional in terms of our lethal firearm violence.

Utter nonsense. Scores of nations lead us in murders per capita.

An average American is not, like, 20 percent more likely to be killed with a gun or 50 percent more likely. They are 10 times more likely to be killed with a gun than in France or Australia, Canada.

You really want to go into who is pulling the triggers in the USA?

After a brutal massacre there in the 1990s, legislation was passed that banned assault weapons and a non-voluntary buyback of handguns and other assault weapons. And since that law was passed, there have been no mass shootings in Australia.

Plenty of mass murders in Australia. You, professor, are going door to door to collect hundreds of millions of guns in a nation the size of the United States? What is your compliance rate in California? 3% maybe. How about Eloi Heaven, New York state? Maybe 2%.

You expect us to believe that a government that cannot round up and deport 15 million illegal aliens is so competent as to round up and confiscate 400 million guns? You are delusional on a Paulian level.

How is your drug war going? You winning that yet? Any drugs smuggled into the USA across your magic border?

Let's take the weight of pot smuggled into the USA and convert that to AK-47s shall we?

In 2002, 24 million pounds of marijuana was smuggled (not counting domestic supply) into the USA. 24 million pounds of marijuana is 2.4 million AK-47s each year. AKs are not destroyed with use and it's a lot more than 24 million pounds now.

Well, what happens in jurisdictions where there's lots of guns is that the criminals are much more likely to use guns in their robberies or in their assaults. And the result from that is an increase in the murder rate.

Have you ever visited Chicago, professor?

Where there are more guns, there are more suicides and there are more homicides.

Oddly no one in my house has committed suicide or homicide.

A universal background check would require checks for all of those legal sales, and, he says, there's some direct evidence of its effectiveness.

Great. Fantastic. So, you want a background check for "legal sales". Smart.

Tell us, if ubcs worked so great why did Indiana repeal its ubc in 1998?

2007, when Missouri repealed their requirement of a universal background check on handguns, what we saw was an increase in homicide and that the repeal had the effect of costing lives in Missouri.

Right, because Ice Dog and Ray ray WERE doing background checks before that date.

Yeah, one practical issue that we should be pursuing is to develop and introduce smart guns or personalized guns.GARCIA-NAVARRO: Explain what that is.
    COOK: Well, it is a gun that will only fire if it's in the hands of the owner.

Great. Mandate it for the cops and government agents especially the SS detail around Obama. See how that goes over.

GARCIA-NAVARRO: David Hemenway focused on the accidental deaths of kids who find a loaded gun in their home and take out the magazine, thinking it's safe now.
    HEMENWAY: And there is a bullet left in the chamber, and for most of these semiautomatics, when you pull the trigger, the bullet shoots out. And you could blame, blame, blame or you could really solve the problem, as we do in lots of areas, which is by changing the product, which is make it so when you take out the magazine, the gun won't fire.

You don't know anything about guns, do you, Professor?

One of the first things they do at API250 is take a Smith (my class it was a 5906) take the magazine out and then fire the pistol without the magazine in it.

GARCIA-NAVARRO: Matthew Miller's practical proposal doesn't require legislation or changing the product. It's just a simple message to gun owners - lock up your guns.

No. The Supreme Court held this was illegal. Not doing it.

MILLER: Right now, there are people who have guns in their homes stored loaded and unlocked with the best of intentions to protect themselves and their families. But the reality is - and we know this from several good studies - that they're actually imperiling themselves and their families.

I demand every single firearm in the White House and in Kenwood be locked up. We simply cannot endanger our President any longer.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis

i disagree.
    Possibly NPR is the last remaining organization that claims any journalistic integrity.

Send them an email with your thoughts and sources to provide an expert analysis of the issues and possible solutions.

Who knows? Gun talk on NPR?
    Click and Clack are in reruns.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    2007, when Missouri repealed their requirement of a universal background check on handguns, what we saw was an increase in homicide and that the repeal had the effect of costing lives in Missouri.
    John Lott put the cherry picking conclusions of this study in perspective.

What does Missouri show about the benefits from universal background checks?: Nothing really, The forthcoming Journal of Urban Health study by the Bloomberg School of Public HealthCrime Prevention Research Center

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    i disagree.
    Possibly NPR is the last remaining organization that claims any journalistic integrity.

Send them an email with your thoughts and sources to provide an expert analysis of the issues and possible solutions.

Dubious on both points. They seem very ouy of touch with anything resembling the America I grew up in.

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    i disagree.

NPR thinks they have journalistic integrity. If they did, how can they discuss violent crime in America without discussing, as Kirk suggested, who is pulling the triggers most, and why?

Let's compare the murder rates of various countries:

CountryMurders/100K
    US4
    Canada1.6
    UK1
    France1
    Australia.9
    Germany.8

So America is 4 times as bloodthirsty as those other 1st world nations, right?

Who in the US is pulling the triggers? Let's look at some demographics.

In the US, white people account for ~ 1.8 murders per 100K and black people account for 12.4 per 100K.

I'm not pointing that out to blame the high US murder rate on black people. I am saying that if the murders committed by all races were at least in proportion to whites, the United states would be in the same statistical neighborhood as the other 1st world nations. That is a significant part of the conversation that no one will talk about.

Any conversation we have about violence in the US is a farce without at least including a discussion about the demographics. But every journalist is too either too afraid or too politically correct to talk about it. And since every journalist at NPR wants more gun control, and they can't talk about who's doing the most killing, they talk about gun control. NPR may have at least a little more journalistic integrity than, say, Mother Jones, but it's not all that much more. The producers and journalists' bias shows through as clearly as the murder statistics do.

And as I said, I don't want to blame race for our high murder rates. But let's please talk about why young black men kill other young black men at such an alarming rate. The conversation can even be an argument between sides that say it's "the man" oppressing blacks; or it's a welfare system that rewards disunion of nuclear families, and no longer passes down moral values to their children. Maybe the cause is both or neither, but there is a clear distinction of violence that plagues one community an order of magnitude higher than the others. And it's doubtful that DNA causes it.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Country
    Murders/100K
    US
    Canada
    UK
    France
    Australia
    Germany

...Who in the US is pulling the triggers? Let's look at some demographics.

In the US, white people account for ~ 1.8 murders per 100K and black people account for 12.4 per 100K.

...if the murders committed by all races were at least in proportion to whites, the United states would be in the same statistical neighborhood as the other 1st world nations. That is a significant part of the conversation that no one will talk about....But every journalist is too either too afraid or too politically correct to talk about it...

Oh, they're not afraid to talk about it. It's because Poverty, silly. We need laws against Poverty. (_And_ guns).

According to the Heritage Foundation, we've spent 20 trillion on poverty-alleviation, more than all actual military wars, combined. I love how all the young twerps on social media list among their interests, "Poverty Alleviation." You know, as if it's a new idea, never tried before.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    As I read this, I heard these guys talking:

317sUhjCz0L.jpg

Utter nonsense. Scores of nations lead us in murders per capita.

You really want to go into who is pulling the triggers in the USA?

Plenty of mass murders in Australia. You, professor, are going door to door to collect hundreds of millions of guns in a nation the size of the United States? What is your compliance rate in California? 3% maybe. How about Eloi Heaven, New York state? Maybe 2%.

You expect us to believe that a government that cannot round up and deport 15 million illegal aliens is so competent as to round up and confiscate 400 million guns? You are delusional on a Paulian level.

How is your drug war going? You winning that yet? Any drugs smuggled into the USA across your magic border?

Let's take the weight of pot smuggled into the USA and convert that to AK-47s shall we?

In 2002, 24 million pounds of marijuana was smuggled (not counting domestic supply) into the USA. 24 million pounds of marijuana is 2.4 million AK-47s each year. AKs are not destroyed with use and it's a lot more than 24 million pounds now.

Have you ever visited Chicago, professor?

Oddly no one in my house has committed suicide or homicide.

Great. Fantastic. So, you want a background check for "legal sales". Smart.

Tell us, if ubcs worked so great why did Indiana repeal its ubc in 1998?

Right, because Ice Dog and Ray ray WERE doing background checks before that date.

Great. Mandate it for the cops and government agents especially the SS detail around Obama. See how that goes over.

You don't know anything about guns, do you, Professor?

One of the first things they do at API250 is take a Smith (my class it was a 5906) take the magazine out and then fire the pistol without the magazine in it.

No. The Supreme Court held this was illegal. Not doing it.

I demand every single firearm in the White House and in Kenwood be locked up. We simply cannot endanger our President any longer.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    NPR thinks they have journalistic integrity. If they did, how can they discuss violent crime in America without discussing, as Kirk suggested, who is pulling the triggers most, and why?

CountryMurders/100K
    US4
    Canada1.6
    UK1
    France1
    Australia.9
    Germany.8

I'm not pointing that out to blame the high US murder rate on black people. I am saying that if the murders committed by all races were at least in proportion to whites, the United states would be in the same statistical neighborhood as the other 1st world nations. That is a significant part of the conversation that no one will talk about.

Any conversation we have about violence in the US is a farce without at least including a discussion about the demographics. But every journalist is too either too afraid or too politically correct to talk about it. And since every journalist at NPR wants more gun control, and they can't talk about who's doing the most killing, they talk about gun control. NPR may have at least a little more journalistic integrity than, say, Mother Jones, but it's not all that much more. The producers and journalists' bias shows through as clearly as the murder statistics do.

And as I said, I don't want to blame race for our high murder rates. But let's please talk about why young black men kill other young black men at such an alarming rate. The conversation can even be an argument between sides that say it's "the man" oppressing blacks; or it's a welfare system that rewards disunion of nuclear families, and no longer passes down moral values to their children. Maybe the cause is both or neither, but there is a clear distinction of violence that plagues one community an order of magnitude higher than the others. And it's doubtful that DNA causes it.

It's always easier to address objects and fix problems with them than it is to address people and fix them.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

CountryMurders/100K
    US4
    Canada1.6
    UK1
    France1
    Australia.9
    Germany.8

I agree, let's remove race from the question, per se. Sadly, I don't have time to pull the stats and do the comparison, but what happens if we remove, say, NYC, San Fran, LA, Chicago, and Detroit from the equation? Take the US population and the US crime rate, and remove the population in those cities from the one side and the crime in those cities from the other side, then compare us with the other "first world nations" (I've never understood why that matters... Is a life lost in a "second world nation" or a "third world nation" worth less and not worthy of consideration?)

At any rate, I'd like to see where we fall on that comparison, if it was done. If it's as much lower as I hypothesize, the truth would seem to me to be that our problem is not guns, not "mental illness", but large concentrations of people living under Democrat rule.

Blessings,
    Bill

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    I can't wait until there are no guns and the strong can prey upon the weak with impunity.

Are we talking about criminals here, or the government? Or both...

Of course I would like NPR to address why 'social scientists' have expertise on this matter. But then don't address social causes... But only trot out 'solutions' that amount to 'be like Australia'. Gee, should we emulate AUS and the UK on all our other policies? Because they don't have any social/crime problems, amiright?

NPR never looks at this issue from the side of the Constitutionalists, or considers that there may be an excellent rationale for gun ownership despite the 'massive' numbers of 'mass' shootings...

The rationale for NPR is infinitely weaker than the rationale for private gun ownership. Maybe when there's no NPR or PBS or CPB we can talk about the 2d Amendment. (Nah...)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom