Prosecutorial misconduct in my back yard?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    So what charges can be brought against that prosecutor and what types of penalty might he face?

Or is this a case of, "Oops..." that we will never heard about again?

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Wow, that is a mess. From the headline I got the impression the defendant had been held for three years while the prosecution knew of exculpatory evidence the whole time, but it came to light - as far as the court knows anyway - the week before the trial started, but the prosecution kept mum.

So the defendant was acquitted in an earlier trial for a different but similar case, the charges dropped in this one because one of the alleged victims lied, and a third trial for yet another alleged victim is scheduled. I wonder what the probability is that the third trial will ever happen?

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Judge sounds like a real d-bag:

Alexa said there is no way the witnesses in this case — the two children — could be brought back again in a way to assure a fair trial for Knowles.

Alexa said he was "displeased" and found it "distasteful" that he was put in the situation of having to respond to the discovery.

When Knowles thanked him for the acquittal, Alexa chastised him and said it was not being done for him.

"It's for our system," he said.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    The parties who knew about it should be stripped of all powers that they have, fired and charged with conspiracy and any other criminal offence that can be levied. Then, if found guilty they should be imprisoned for the maximum sentence. A bit of horsewhipping in the public square wouldn't hurt, either.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Judge sounds like a real d-bag:

Alexa said there is no way the witnesses in this case — the two children — could be brought back again in a way to assure a fair trial for Knowles.

Alexa said he was "displeased" and found it "distasteful" that he was put in the situation of having to respond to the discovery.

When Knowles thanked him for the acquittal, Alexa chastised him and said it was not being done for him.

"It's for our system," he said.
    How so? The law generally compels him to do what he did. He has a duty to ensure a fair trial and it looks like the state may not have wanted to give one. When the state forces a mistrial through misconduct, jeopardy generally attaches and you can't retry people just because the state didn't play fair.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Sounds like people were trying to get him for more than he did.....but he still has other charges of child molesting that still stand. Is that what I'm reading? I understand the story is about the attempted manipulation of the system but the guy only got the charges involving the one boy dropped. Sounds to me like at least a few people are convinced he is a molester but wanted to take short cuts to pile on the charges.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I think charges like these are some of the most fabricated in the justice system. While I know the child molestation and such happens way to often. It seems like a whole bunch of these cases involve nasty breakups and child custody fights. Of the numerous people I have seen that flat out lied and or influenced kids to lie on these type of charges, none were ever charged with a crime of false reporting ect. It is nasty business and the mere allegation alone causes very bad things to happen to innocent people until it gets sorted out.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I think charges like these are some of the most fabricated in the justice system. While I know the child molestation and such happens way to often. It seems like a whole bunch of these cases involve nasty breakups and child custody fights. Of the numerous people I have seen that flat out lied and or influenced kids to lie on these type of charges, none were ever charged with a crime of false reporting ect. It is nasty business and the mere allegation alone causes very bad things to happen to innocent people until it gets sorted out.
    So true. Reminds me of the witch hunts they had in the 80s for this. It was really scary what some people went through that never did anything wrong.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I think the people who say: "they brought charges so there must be something there" really need to think about that.

I don't know if this guy is guilty of something or not, but what I do know is that he hasn't been convicted of anything or even gone to trial yet. Do we believe in the presumption of innocence or not.

A persistent problem I have seen are jurors thinking: "well, this is in court, so there must be some truth to it." Friends, it's pretty easy to get a case to trial. Stop it. Don't think that way.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have a friend whose life was ruined by false accusations of this nature. There are a lot of non-guilty people who spent time in prison in California for that famous case where the psychologist used "recovered memories" from children to falsely convict them (some may still be in there).

In addition, the false accusations hurt the real victims of molestation as well.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    How so? The law generally compels him to do what he did. He has a duty to ensure a fair trial and it looks like the state may not have wanted to give one. When the state forces a mistrial through misconduct, jeopardy generally attaches and you can't retry people just because the state didn't play fair.

I mean that the judge sounded like a jerk that he was displeased and found it distasteful that he had to the do the right thing because prosecutor's office screwed up. Plus his response to Knowles.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Accused child molesters are considered "non-people," not deserving of due process.
    Many people consider gun owners "non-people," not deserving of being considered human.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I mean that the judge sounded like a jerk that he was displeased and found it distasteful that he had to the do the right thing because prosecutor's office screwed up. Plus his response to Knowles.

I have been caught in the middle of other people's wrongdoing, and it is distasteful. You feel dirty just having been around it. That's how I take the judge. As for his response to Knowles, while harsh, it is perfect. He isn't there to have mercy or vengeance, and he isn't there for people. He is there for justice and to uphold the integrity of our legal system. I have a lot of respect for a judge who gets that.

Top Bottom