Well, the Turkish Military Just Rolled Over...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    ...in Istanbul. Ok, I don't claim to know a heck of a whole lot about Turkey, and this coup is still confusing. However, one of the stunning images I saw, was members of the Turkish military, hands up, surrendering to civilians. Civilians, in a number of cases promptly started abusing them.

Here's my issue. I figure the higher ups mobilized the military, without them really knowing why they were being mobilized; so they may not have been committed to ideologically to the coup. My question, is if that's true, why surrender, turn over their weapons and equipment, and place themselves in the hands of a crowd who hasn't a clue what's going on, other than it appears the military is supporting the coup. Why not just say to the crowd "hey guys, we didn't know what was going on, we'll keep our guns and vehicles, and withdraw."

I have a hard time envisioning American soldiers doing the same. I can see them telling a crowd, "nah, we're good, and we're keeping our guns." If the crowd tried to treat members of the US Military the way the people are treating the Turkish military, I see that going bad very quickly... but then again I don't think US citizens would handle themselves like the Turks.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Aren't they fighting against ISIS?

Turkey? You mean the nation that sat and watched (literally within eyeball's distance) as the Kurds almost lost Kobani? Essentially, the ISIS tried to wipe out the Kurds. Turkey doesn't really like the Kurds, as they are a problem in Turkey. They basically sat back and let ISIS try to kill them off. Turkey isn't a friend to ISIS, but they aren't really a legit enemy either.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I saw that the president recently made a statement about how those involved would pay dearly... Sad it didn't work out, seems like it would have been a good thing.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Of course they abused the military. The military was fighting against the radicalization of their country.

It's a very sad situation and I commend the military for trying, but that nation is lost.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Of course they abused the military. The military was fighting against the radicalization of their country.

It's a very sad situation and I commend the military for trying, but that nation is lost.

Sure looks that way, it will get even worse now. It will become even more radical and probably become the strong arm for ISIS. Military tried fighting for their country and against its ever increasing radical terrorist loving government and we got Barry over here cheering on the enemy to keep tyranny……but that was to be expected.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    ISIS getting Turkey.

JV team for sure, Mr. President.

Failed states from the Pillars of Hercules to the nut balls in Iran. Way to go, Barry. The world is on fire and you are hiding the extinguishers.

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    ISIS getting Turkey.

JV team for sure, Mr. President.

Failed states from the Pillars of Hercules to the nut balls in Iran. Way to go, Barry. The world is on fire and you are hiding the extinguishers.

And you are suggesting our president do what, concerning this coup? And how exactly is ISIS related to the events in Turkey?

Kut (is missing the connection and the logic in assignment of blame)

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Sure looks that way, it will get even worse now. It will become even more radical and probably become the strong arm for ISIS. Military tried fighting for their country and against its ever increasing radical terrorist loving government and we got Barry over here cheering on the enemy to keep tyranny……but that was to be expected.

Couple things... no, Turkey won't probably become the strong arm of ISIS
    and a democratically elected govt, supported by it's people is hard to define as "tyranny." In fact, based on the writings of our founders, a military that seeks to overthrow such a body IS the definition of tyranny.

Kut (thinks it's scary that Americans have beliefs like this)

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Couple things... no, Turkey won't probably become the strong arm of ISIS
    and a democratically elected govt, supported by it's people is hard to define as "tyranny." In fact, based on the writings of our founders, a military that seeks to overthrow such a body IS the definition of tyranny.

Kut (thinks it's scary that Americans have beliefs like this)

Are we forgetting that Chavez and Maduro were both 'democratically elected'?

Perhaps we should ask a typical Venezuelan citizen about this

Kut (should know better)

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Are we forgetting that Chavez and Maduro were both 'democratically elected'?

Perhaps we should ask a typical Venezuelan citizen about this

Kut (should know better)

Point? Adolph Hitler would've been a better example, btw.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Point? Adolph Hitler would've been a better example, btw.

Invoking/provoking Godwin's law? Nope, my examples are fine. Chavez especially because he appealed to the hardscrabble, simple country folk to get elected; bribed them with largesse to stay in power and eventually tried to subvert their constitution to maintain his power

If you're Erdogan, what's not to like about that example (other than the failing part)

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Invoking/provoking Godwin's law? Nope, my examples are fine. Chavez especially because he appealed to the hardscrabble, simple country folk to get elected; bribed them with largesse to stay in power and eventually tried to subvert their constitution to maintain his power

If you're Erdogan, what's not to like about that example (other than the failing part)

Honestly Im not getting your point. Ok Ero is a bad guy... but he was still elected. The military was assumed to be, to the Turkish people, equally as bad, or worse. In any case, no one has provided proof that Turkey will become affiliated with ISIS, nor illustrated how Ero's tyranny would be worse than the military's tyranny. All I know, is that one applies the thoughts of the founders, then it's obvious who is in the wrong, the military.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I don't have a crayon font installed (but I could get one) so used color to match overly broad assertions to the examples that refute them

You know i.e.: a democratically elected govt, supported by it's people is hard to define as "tyranny" maps to Are we forgetting that Chavez and Maduro were both 'democratically elected'?

you know, two people who can definitely be defined as tyrants

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    OUR government is elected by the People and COULD conceivably become tyrannical someday. And our military (and citizens) COULD someday rise up against it. Far-fetched, but far from impossible.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    OUR government is elected by the People and COULD conceivably become tyrannical someday. And our military (and citizens) COULD someday rise up against it. Far-fetched, but far from impossible.

And lose. The military of a democratically elected govt will most likely NOT win out over the populace, unless there are external forces at work (ie another state intervening).

Top Bottom