New push for vehicle emission testing in Indiana.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Sorry for the family's loss, but this cannot become a bill and pass into law!

http://wishtv.com/2016/07/26/new-billboard-campaign-pushing-for-savannahs-law-on-citys-west-side/

Cliff notes... Two kids in cheap beater car with leaky exhaust and a poorly designed HVAC system go on a long trip... car fills with CO, driver passes out, car crashes, killing driver.

Dead girl's parents and others decide we need statewide emission laws again.

Article says it's just her parents and the girls former employer that are behind it, but they have 65k signatures so far, and I smell green politics and money behind the shiny wrapper of "save our kids".

Lake and Porter counties are the only counties on Indiana that still have these gas guzzler era laws and they're fighting to end them with massive legislatibe support, but we al know what happens when people with ambition hold up pictures of dead kids.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    How about some personal responsibility.
    Keep your car road worthy. It is your responsibility for the safety of all those you can effect in daily travels.
    Keep the tires aired up and in good condition.
    Fix the leaky exhaust.
    Keep the lights "All" working so you can turn off the high beams.
    Put some money into the car and not just the stereo.
    Fix the window and get rid of the vision blocking plastic and tape.
    Put a real tire back on the car. The donut is only there to get you home not run for a month.

I could go on and on.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Heard that this morning, too.

I lost a friend to CO poisoning when I was a kid. Almost the same situation. Know what all the adults did? Supported the family in their time of need, and then had all their own damn cars serviced. Certainly didn't force the entire state to service their cars at the point of a gun.

My cars are fine. No need to "inspect" them.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    The State gave up emissions monitoring (as a whole) long ago due to cost and upkeep.

The CO levels in the state are essentially zero. This is the case mainly due to catalytic converters on vehicles. They work - and they work very very well.

Here's a link to the State's network of CO monitors. IDEM: Carbon Monoxide (CO) Data Map Should anyone be interested, you can click on each individual site and find out tons of information.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Keep your car road worthy. It is your responsibility for the safety of all those you can effect in daily travels.
    Fix the leaky exhaust.
    Put a real tire back on the car. The donut is only there to get you home not run for a month.

I could go on and on.
    Come now. You know people cannot be expected to take care of themselves without the .gov legislating that they have to.:rolleyes:

Next up. Laws to make people shower and brush their teeth.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    When I saw the title of the thread the first thing came to mind was some legislator got tired of hearing the loud exhaust of the rice burners and Flowmasters of the ghetto farmers trucks.
    Sorry to learn of any loss that's avoidable but I can put my own fork in my mouth without the govt telling me which fingers to hold it with. When I can't hold my fork.... then stick the fork in me 'cause I'm done.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I remember when Indiana had to have a safety inspection sticker. It was $4.00. Basically they checked the tires, exhaust, lights horn, wipers, and maybe steering. It was just a hassle. It was to stop "carnage" on the road due to unsafe cars. It made no difference, as the majority of the crashes were alcohol related, no matter how "safe" the car was.

I lived in Lake county and had the emission testing. The only good thing was that there was a limit on the repair cost if you failed. I think it was $100. As long as you could prove you spent $100 to improve you emissions, you got a waver. It is not like that in some states. You have to spend until you pass. I had friends out east with a fine running Nissan in good condition that had to spend well over $2200 to pass the emission test. Seems like the Catalytic Converter was $1600 by itself. At that time, some cars barely passed from the factory, and the government had the owner on the hook forever.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Sorry but a leaking tailpipe has nothing to do with emissions. Even then you will not get to zero CO output in a gasoline vehicle.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Sorry but a leaking tailpipe has nothing to do with emissions. Even then you will not get to zero CO output in a gasoline vehicle.
    Well we all already know that's not the point. The point is to pass more laws and have some green company make millions either overseeing the program, or research, or consult on the bill's language.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Fix the leaky exhaust.

I could go on and on.

This.
    Personal
    Responsibility

MilliJac

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2014
    The Fort
    Honest question since I haven't been driving long enough to have ever needed an emissions test. Would a standard annual test even have caught an exhaust leak under the cab? I thought they just held an analyzer up to the muffler? Wouldn't it still pass since the CO is escaping further up the pipe?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Honest question since I haven't been driving long enough to have ever needed an emissions test. Would a standard annual test even have caught an exhaust leak under the cab? I thought they just held an analyzer up to the muffler? Wouldn't it still pass since the CO is escaping further up the pipe?
    Depends on the test. Most are a simple inspection and tailpipe "sniffer". They just make sure all equipment exists (Cat. Converter, etc...) and works to some minimum.

Other states have real inspections, and even check bulbs, brakes, etc... Not cheap, and a real pain to pass even a reasonably new car.

In either case, modifications are extremely frowned upon, even if they make the car's emissions LOWER.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co

odds are you're correct and unless the exhaust leak was audible, it wouldn't have been found.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Why do you want more people to die? :runaway:

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Fix the leaky exhaust.

I could go on and on.

Well, it seems I've rep'd you too often...
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to churchmouse again.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Texas still has emissions testing. I had a friend who owned a 1978 K10 Blazer. He spent a fortune every year getting his old beater to meet the annual emissions test. Stupid law.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I spent 13 years in dealerships slinging parts before I got smart and moved on. I can remember quite clearly a car rolling in with the upper ball joint so sloppy the wheel moved if you THOUGHT about looking at it. It came in because the radio didn't work. They spent $350 to ship off the factory stereo to get it repaired. They passed on the ball joint. Lo and behold by the time the radio came back in, the ball joint had snapped, put the tire through the fender and sending htem off into a ditch. They wanted a refund for hte radio repair.

People are morons. I say we remove all legislation for safety features and let these morons kill themselves off to cull the damn herd.

Top Bottom