Congrats Carmel PD.... You Made the News?!?!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Wow. This guy has been too nice. He needs the meanest SOB lawyer in Indiana to make Carmel understand a few BASIC legal issues and render some financial justice for this guy.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Anything cops do right now will be scrutinized.
    I wouldn't be a cop for anything. LEOs are welcome to that job and I'm sure it doesn't pay enough for what they're up against.
    I've ran into a few "dickcops" but 99% or so have been great guys and gals.
    I'm happy to live south of some areas though.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Just another example of why you shouldn't play the field sobriety test "game". Certified breath test or bust. IANAL and this does not represent legal advice....

Last edited:

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    I would refuse the "field sobriety test" let's go blow in the machine, I think (my opinion) that the test is just a way for the police to drag you off to jail. As this video shows, it is very subjective and if the officer wants to take you in a FST is a great way to say you have suspicion.
    I also think that in a case like this one, or in a "man with a gun" call, the name of the person who called should be a matter of public record. Too many times I have read of police calls gone wrong which were initiated by a 911 call which may or may not be anonymous. The police do their job while an innocent citizen is detained because they got a call....maybe....

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I'm reminding of when I traveled to Russia, we were told to never look a police officer in the eye when passing by. If you don't try to avoid them like a normal Russian would you will look suspicious to them.

In this case, the guy looked suspicious not because he was breaking any law, but precisely because he wasn't breaking the law that most people break. It doesn't pay to stand out in a crowd where the authorities are concerned.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    I'm reminding of when I traveled to Russia, we were told to never look a police officer in the eye when passing by. If you don't try to avoid them like a normal Russian would you will look suspicious to them.

In this case, the guy looked suspicious not because he was breaking any law, but precisely because he wasn't breaking the law that most people break. It doesn't pay to stand out in a crowd where the authorities are concerned.

So obeying the law is now probable cause of breaking the law?

this country is Fubar.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    This is where there is a double standard for LEOs. This case, this video, show a gray area. If an officer gets it right in that gray area, he's done a good job. If he gets it wrong, its on the 11:00 news.

As soon as the guy admitted taking the prescription drug, combined with the description of the erratic driving (and, frankly, combined with going LESS than the speed limit), there was at least RAS for driving under the influence of the drug. The breath tests were superfluous, since there was no RAS for drinking and driving. And, the problem with the blood test is that it wasn't immediately available. The prosecutor properly declined to prosecute.

The system sorted it out.

LEOs basically have to be right every time. The pressure associated with it is part of the job.

From what I could tell, the officer was polite and respectful throughout, and believed he was following his training and procedures from the department and the prosecutor. This was a judgment call, by a relatively new officer. Good opportunity for better training and clarification of policies.

I understand that other trained LEOs would use different/better judgment. That doesn't make this officer wrong.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I know Zach. He works my shift. It would be inappropriate for me to comment on this, in case anyone is wondering why I'm going to be fairly silent on this particular situation. All I'll say that he is young and active.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I agree that not all impairment is from alcohol and benzos can certainly make it unsafe to drive. But chasing a blood BAC for an anxiety med dose is ridiculous.

i have called in numerous people I suspect are impaired. If the officer doesn't see anything bad and the guy seems coherent, seems like it should end at that. Having taken a med doesn't necessarily mean you can't drive. Not a good situation.

someone posted about police scrutiny above, this happened years ago and only now is the video coming out showing how egregious it was.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Probably should have said this in my initial post, but I have NO information other than what was in the story and my experience working closely with CPD. I don't think I know this particular officer, although it is likely I've met him. He started after I left the City of Carmel's employ.

I agree that not all impairment is from alcohol and benzos can certainly make it unsafe to drive. But chasing a blood BAC for an anxiety med dose is ridiculous.

i have called in numerous people I suspect are impaired. If the officer doesn't see anything bad and the guy seems coherent, seems like it should end at that. Having taken a med doesn't necessarily mean you can't drive. Not a good situation.

Yeah, and the officer basically said as much. :)

But, he was following what he perceived to be the protocol to get the blood test. One issue I do have is why a supervisor didn't step in and use it as a teachable moment to say, "Uh... you sure this is the right thing to do?"

I'm confident those conversations have also happened.

someone posted about police scrutiny above, this happened years ago and only now is the video coming out showing how egregious it was.

Yeah... I noticed that, too.

Dude probably couldn't get anyone to pay attention on the news media side, until they decided CPD hadn't been in the news for awhile. Then some slow walking by the city....

WTHR was probably disappointed at how polite the officer was.

And Jack Crawford cracks me up every time. :)

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    IMO, No Excuse for a 3rd year patrolman to screw this up on a department as large as Carmel or is this just another PD Money Making Scheme like the Multi Year Traffic Scam Fiasco..

The victim suffered an Incarceration of more than 12 hours, car towed, impounded, arrest record. Hmmm, Caramel better break out the checkbook because they owe this guy Big Time.

I Never go more than 25 in Carmel If it is a Posted 30, Carmel Needs the Money ;)

This Chief hasn't a Clue. Carmel better go back to hiring Retired IPD for their Chiefs.

T Lex, Carmel better hope that the Victim doesn't Hire Jack Crawford :):

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    This is where there is a double standard for LEOs. This case, this video, show a gray area. If an officer gets it right in that gray area, he's done a good job. If he gets it wrong, its on the 11:00 news.

Your analysis misses the problem, the traffic stop.

Top Bottom