Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 276 of 281 FirstFirst ... 176 226 266 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 ... LastLast
Results 2,751 to 2,760 of 2803

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jamil View Post
    I donít know a lot about e-verify, so I donít know if itís adequate to stop the day work/subcontracting. If youíve hired a contractor lately for construction/home repair, chances are that it was a crew of illegal workers doing the labor. The contractor subs out work to a middle man who then goes and picks up workers for the day to do the work.

The subcontractor is usually here legally and kinda shields the general contractor from responsibility. If e-verify makes everyone in the employer chain responsible, I suppose that might be a little more effective. But, itís going to be a hardship on the general contractor, especially if itís a small business, to have to make sure all the people working on his jobs are legal. Iíd hate tonsee a contractor get ruined because a some guy on a subcontractorís crew was illegal.

And how far do you go with it? Do you make the client who hired the contractor responsible for the contractorís subís sub? If I hire a contractor to replace my roof, I donít want to be on the hook for the contractorís subcontractor, hiring his illegal nephew as a gopher.
    What you need to know about E-Verify is that it's currently unavailable.

How ironic.
    Quote Originally Posted by printcraft View Post
    I have received and I have given. Usually at different times. But sometime at the same time.

User Info Menu

I keep hoping the Trump's insistence on the Wall is really just to give him something to "give away" to get something truly useful like ending chain migration, limiting visas, limiting asylum cases, and an E-verify with actual teeth.

User Info Menu

An interesting question. There is some info floating around, but I don't trust it...example:
    https://www.wnd.com/2016/11/1-main-r...nt-been-built/
    "2016: The year that hackers became more trusted than government or reporters."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AmmoManAaron View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Fence_Act_of_2006
    ​Bullies suck. They also make you stronger.

User Info Menu

Huh, Wiki actually had some useful/reputable information for a change. I admit, I didn't think to look there.
    "2016: The year that hackers became more trusted than government or reporters."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AmmoManAaron View Post
    Huh, Wiki actually had some useful/reputable information for a change. I admit, I didn't think to look there.
    The 50 billion was the projected cost for 25 years including building and maintenance.

However, they did spend something like 2 billion or more.

To me, this law, not very long ago, is a good argument that "The Wall" is nothing new and it wasn't so long ago that many Democrats were on board.
    ​Bullies suck. They also make you stronger.

User Info Menu

I think Trump's reading this thread. I heard something in the last hour (so no link) about how he's going to propose additional changes to the immigration laws, including a limited path to citizenship.

That's a great sign, if it happens. (For every promise delivered - bumpstock ban - there's one that hasn't - repeal Obamacare.)

He really would do better with the electorate overall if he had something that at least seemed comprehensive.

ETA:
    Oops... looks like only for H-1B visas, for now. At least it is a start for the conversation. The Dems will want it broader than that, so he may be playing the strategy of offering something narrow while negotiating for something broader, that he'd also be happy with.
    Resident Warning Shot Statist.

User Info Menu

Grifters gonna grift.

So that $20M border wall GoFundMe campaign? Its organizer now hopes to use the money to finance a new nonprofit. Its board includes Kris Kobach, David Clarke, Erik Prince, and Tom Tancredo

https://www.thedailybeast.com/gofund...rofit?ref=wrap
    We are Homo Ludens. We are those who play.

User Info Menu

Perfect. I missed this.

Quote Originally Posted by SheepDog4Life View Post
    Denny, perhaps you missed this part of my post:

Many, including me, have stated that eVerify needs to be required (like I-9) documentation, which presumably requires new law. Or does it? Generally, yes, but I see a way to be pretty effective in clamping down even under current law.

First off, employing an illegal carries a pretty measly fine of $375 per employee for first offense, increasing to $1,600 on 3rd and subsequent. Not very hefty, and IMO, not much of a deterrent. HOWEVER, if the employer engages in a "pattern and practice" of employing illegals, then that becomes a criminal offense with $3000 and 6 months in prison PER employee! So, suddenly, an employer with 100 illegal employees is facing $300,000 in fines and 50 years possible of possible prison sentences. Tack on filing (or not filing) fraudulent I-9s, knowingly providing fraudulent documents, and payroll violations for not paying employees accurately, etc, etc, and I would think a smart prosecutor could double that by throwing the book at the violator, now we are talking $600,000 and 100 years of potential prison time.

Now we're talking some serious consequences.

Second, charge EVERYONE responsible. CEO/President of the company? Yup. CFO/accountant? Yup. HR head? Yup. HR anybody involved in hiring? Yup. Plant manager? Yup. Crew foreman/supervisor? Yup.

Third, pile on conspiracy charges. They all knew and acted in concert. Perhaps we are now up to a $1 Million fine for each individual involved in the conspiracy and 200 years in potential prison time. (probably more like 2-5 years of "real" time serving concurrently, but still scary for the average person)

Fourth, make the opening "salvos" in an area with "friendly" courts, i.e. not California or anywhere under the 9th circuit.

Finally, and this is key, make it clear that the employer could have easily avoided this by using eVerify but PURPOSEFULLY avoided eVerify because they knew doing so would have prevented them from hiring illegals.

Boom... de facto mandatory eVerify.

tl;dr: The "regular" fines for employing illegals are minuscule and ineffective. However, prosecuting large employers as a conspiracy, and throwing the book at violators, adds real teeth. Go after those who avoid eVerify because they intend to hire large numbers of illegals.
    On the other side of fear lies freedom.

Freelance Gynecologist Trigger Time's Avatar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GPIA7R View Post
    Grifters gonna grift.

So that $20M border wall GoFundMe campaign? Its organizer now hopes to use the money to finance a new nonprofit. Its board includes Kris Kobach, David Clarke, Erik Prince, and Tom Tancredo

https://www.thedailybeast.com/gofund...rofit?ref=wrap
    Awesome. Hopefully they go to war with illegals
    Looking for 1 old sock, a half eaten sandwich, & a swig of RC cola.