• ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Wait a second, guys. DNA swab on felony conviction *even if reduced*? Maybe for a violent felony, but do we really need a DNA sample from the Martha Stewart types? This slope is not just slippery, it is the North Face of Everest, ice and all. The bar should be very high, if indeed this act is even being contemplated. And just because the tech isn't there now to use a swab as a profile for other purposes does not mean it won't be in 5 or 10 years.

Caution should be the word of the day. I am hopeful the Senate shoots this one down.

Blessings,
    Bill

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Wait a second, guys. DNA swab on felony conviction *even if reduced*? Maybe for a violent felony, but do we really need a DNA sample from the Martha Stewart types? This slope is not just slippery, it is the North Face of Everest, ice and all. The bar should be very high, if indeed this act is even being contemplated. And just because the tech isn't there now to use a swab as a profile for other purposes does not mean it won't be in 5 or 10 years.

Caution should be the word of the day. I am hopeful the Senate shoots this one down.

Blessings,
    Bill
    Hopeful? Yes. Optimistic? Nope.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Viscerally, I don't like this...but intellectually, I'm trying to figure out how this is substantially different from fingerprinting and mug shots.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Viscerally, I don't like this...but intellectually, I'm trying to figure out how this is substantially different from fingerprinting and mug shots.
    Funny. That was my first thought, then I realized I hated the idea of yet more data collection. Let them get a warrant to collect it.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    If this is OK'd to "fight crime", the logical conclusion will eventually be that EVERYBODY will be required to submit DNA for a government database to "fight crime" even "better".
    This will be a part of an ever expanding surveillance state that will eventually rob us of ALL privacy.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    If this is OK'd to "fight crime", the logical conclusion will eventually be that EVERYBODY will be required to submit DNA for a government database to "fight crime" even "better".
    This will be a part of an ever expanding surveillance state that will eventually rob us of ALL privacy.
    Do we still have any?

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    I was going to post some sarcasm, but I can't because I'm so disgusted with this bill. How in the world can anyone think that this is a good idea? How many times have people been arrested by mistake and then released.

"We're sorry that you were arrested, but now we have your DNA. I guess it sucks to be you." :ugh:

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England

It's physically invasive and actually removes a small physical portion of your body. The other 2 don't. I don't know if that meets the substantially part, but that is a clear distinction.
    And I'm not sure that yo can use fingerprints to plant fingerprints......

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    It's physically invasive and actually removes a small physical portion of your body. The other 2 don't. I don't know if that meets the substantially part, but that is a clear distinction.
    And I'm not sure that yo can use fingerprints to plant fingerprints......

You're right, it is invasive in some measure. Arguably, getting the ink off your fingers is more inconvenient.

I'm not saying that one justifies the other, just thinking out loud.

Top Bottom