• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Would be a really good World Cup qualifier, but it turns out these countries are building up to quite a foreign policy fight.

Turkey-Netherlands row: Dutch warn citizens after Erdogan threat - BBC News

It basically started with rallies planned by expatriate Turks in European countries. Some countries, including the Netherlands, forbade such gatherings of Turks on security grounds.

So, the Turkish President called such prohibitions against gatherings of Turks "nazism" and "banana republic" type things and threatened to sanction countries that do that sort of thing.

Strange days, indeed.

indyguy333

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2015
    Huntington
    I think it's funny how the Turkish president calls them "nazis" for not going along with his demands. That label is in danger of not meaning anything if it keeps getting tossed around.

I also saw Germany is pulling out of a joint air force base in Turkey in solidarity with the Dutch. Things might get interesting

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Think this will help or hurt Geert Wilders in the upcoming election?

I think it helps him AND Erdogan.

Nationalism is all en vogue right now. (And I'm not talking '90s girl bands, either.)

Brexit was a symptom of European unity (to the extent Turkey could be counted as European) falling apart. Its a crazy new world, with Eastern Europe more excited (sorta) about being allied with the US than Western Europe.

Top Bottom