• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I'm disappointed he didn't tweet this, but maybe he wanted to sneak it in.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-pres...der-comprehensive-plan-reorganizing-executive

Section 1. Purpose. This order is intended to improve the efficiency, effectiveness, and accountability of the executive branch by directing the Director of the Office of Management and Budget (Director) to propose a plan to reorganize governmental functions and eliminate unnecessary agencies (as defined in section 551(1) of title 5, United States Code), components of agencies, and agency programs.
    Sec. 2. Proposed Plan to Improve the Efficiency, Effectiveness, and Accountability of Federal Agencies, Including, as Appropriate, to Eliminate or Reorganize Unnecessary or Redundant Federal Agencies. (a) Within 180 days of the date of this order, the head of each agency shall submit to the Director a proposed plan to reorganize the agency, if appropriate, in order to improve the efficiency, effectiveness, and accountability of that agency.

There's more in the order at the link, but given that it's President Trump OMG!11!! issuing the order, this is probably enough to send the NYT into orbit shrieking and hair-pulling. Standby for more "protests." At least that's how I will judge the effectiveness of it.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Oh, and...

(b) The Director shall publish a notice in the Federal Register inviting the public to suggest improvements in the organization and functioning of the executive branch and shall consider the suggestions when formulating the proposed plan described in subsection (c) of this section.

Sharpen your pencils...

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    He doesn't need an EO to do this. He's the boss. He can just do it.

Well, the rule making he needs to notice and have public comment on, but he won't know what notice/public comment to have until he knows what he's getting rid of.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    He doesn't need an EO to do this. He's the boss. He can just do it.

Well yes, he could just yell at them in a cabinet meeting or send them emails I suppose, but pretty much every big organization has a format for orders from the big boss.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Well yes, he could just yell at them in a cabinet meeting or send them emails I suppose, but pretty much every big organization has a format for orders from the big boss.
    Yes. But not every boss is POTUS, where Executive Order is different than an order from the executive.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Anyone have the over/under on the departments of energy and education, respectively?
    Or maybe the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives Criminal Enforcement Squad? (BATFECES)
    Maybe the latter will reorganize in keeping with the Constitution, and stop going after "arms"?
    To wit: Bureau of Alcohol and Tobacco, Governmental Useless Agency Newly Organized (BATGUANO)

I'm not expecting much from this. Too much resistance to him inside the Beltway, and the reorganizational plans will likely make insignificant changes or will only increase the power that the agencies have. I will happily be wrong on that prediction, if it happens that way.

Blessings,
    Bill

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    By reorganize he means "take a flamethrower to the CFR", right?

Anyone have the over/under on the departments of energy and education, respectively?
    Or maybe the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives Criminal Enforcement Squad? (BATFECES)
    Maybe the latter will reorganize in keeping with the Constitution, and stop going after "arms"?
    To wit: Bureau of Alcohol and Tobacco, Governmental Useless Agency Newly Organized (BATGUANO)

I'm not expecting much from this. Too much resistance to him inside the Beltway, and the reorganizational plans will likely make insignificant changes or will only increase the power that the agencies have. I will happily be wrong on that prediction, if it happens that way.

Blessings,
    Bill

A reorganization with an apparent focus on reduction would seem to imply a smaller budget and workforce too. Oh, what's this:

Trump budget expected to seek historic cuts to federal workforce ? The Denver Post

Granted, it probably wouldn't take much of a reduction to be "historic", given the history of the federal government, but one can always hope.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    But we have yet to see what congress says. Already congress has said that his "short budget" is a no go in terms of what he wants to cut: epa, foriegn aid, pbs.

What i wonder is say trump asks for $100 but congress says no you nedd $200. Does potus have the power to take the $200 and then only spend $100 for the year?

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Does potus have the power to take the $200 and then only spend $100 for the year?

I can only imagine POTUS can cut whatever he sees fit in any of the executive aspects of government. They all work for him.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Seems like one of the articles of impeachment against Nixon had something to do with not spending appropriated money for some program. I don't remember the details, as that was a few years ago.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Seems like one of the articles of impeachment against Nixon had something to do with not spending appropriated money for some program. I don't remember the details, as that was a few years ago.

You are right.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impoundment_of_appropriated_funds

I wonder if that applies to specific programs spelled out by government. In other words, maybe he can't impound funds set aside for a specific legislative action, but he can impound funds to be spent generally in a department.

Top Bottom