Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hmmmm, The Feds must have intel about another airlines attack???

Both of these announcements happen the same day?? Must have some intel?? I'm sure more airlines will post before the day is over....

US forbids any device larger than cellphone on flights from 13 countries

Royal Jordanian Airlines bans electronic devices on flights | The Independent
    Proud Member of D.A.D.D.

Dads against daughters dating.....

Battery fire risk?
    Unapologetic Abolitionist

Dunno, but I'd stick to the rules if you're on a Royal Jordanian flight. I was on one where a trouble maker was tied up with those seat belt demonstrator things, then cocooned in duct tape, and physically assisted into a calmer state. He then remained in the duct tape cocoon for the remainder of a very long flight.
    My nuts are the great uniter.

They had a few batteries that exploded during flight on different flights.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with terrorism.

Not sure if you can still carry your laptop in a checked bag, turned off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trigger Time View Post
    I like turtles

I would have no problem with leaving my laptop in my checked bags since I never use it during the flight anyway.
    The only problem I have is with the way they handle your checked bags.
    You don't want any fragile electronic device in there.
    I like turtles

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvain View Post
    They had a few batteries that exploded during flight on different flights.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with terrorism.

Not sure if you can still carry your laptop in a checked bag, turned off.
    That doesn't add up if they are only banning them on flights to the US. It also doesn't add up that it'd be cool in the cargo hold. Fire is fire, and it seems like a fire in the passenger compartment could be dealt with easier than a fire in the cargo hold...but I don't know poo about airplanes. Maybe they have some fire suppressant system in the cargo hold.
    My nuts are the great uniter.

But didn't a judge in Hawaii just recently say you can't ban people from specific countries, so wouldn't banning electronic devices fall into the same category of we don't care what they do to us as long as we don't make them feel bad before they do it??? Or something silly like that.

I Care...Really

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvain View Post
    I would have no problem with leaving my laptop in my checked bags since I never use it during the flight anyway.
    The only problem I have is with the way they handle your checked bags.
    You don't want any fragile electronic device in there.
    Bubble wrap.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    That doesn't add up if they are only banning them on flights to the US. It also doesn't add up that it'd be cool in the cargo hold. Fire is fire, and it seems like a fire in the passenger compartment could be dealt with easier than a fire in the cargo hold...but I don't know poo about airplanes. Maybe they have some fire suppressant system in the cargo hold.
    It could be that they are banning them only from countries with less strict laws regarding electronic devices (Asia and Africa) because those made for those countries are more likely to explode.
    Also I think it only happens when they are in use.So if they are in the cargo hold they would be turned off.
    It's also easier to control a fire in the cargo hold.You can stop the flow of fresh air (therefore oxygen) to that part of the plane.
    You can't do that with the cabin since passengers need to breath.
    I like turtles

FWIW, it is forbidden to have lithium batteries in checked baggage. The cargo compartment is the WORST place to have a thermal runaway and fire. If you listen to the gate announcements, they typically repeat this information. Remove all lithium batteries from checked baggage.

And no... fighting a fire in a cargo hold is NOT easier than cooling a battery in a metal trash bin with water. Not by a long shot.

You also cannot stop oxygen from entering the hold... the pressurized cargo holds share the same pressurized bubble that you are in. It's the same air, recirculated. You can blow the halon bottles, sure, but there is a lot more to burn in a cargo hold, than in the cabin where you can easily isolate the battery, and it isn't hidden from view.

I know a little about aircraft.

Last edited by Fizzerpilot; 03-20-2017 at 21:54.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast