• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    That's an old video.We already had a thread about that some years ago.

I don't support what that veteran did.Hopefully he got arrested and charged for that theft.
    Stealing and destroying someone else's property because you don't agree on how they display their own flag is against the law.

I get that it's not a proper way to display the US flag (having a foreign flag on top on the same pole) but the US Flag Code is not the law, and shouldn't be.
    The First Amendment provides people the freedom to display their flag however they want.

If you decide to display your US flag upside down on your front porch do I have the right to steal it and cut it down with a knife? I don't think so!
    The law is not different when it's at a restaurant.

I get that vets are passionate about proper flag display, I am too.But in that situation I would have talked to the people who owned those flags and told them about the proper way to display both flags.
    I would not just stole their stuff.

That vet also showed no respect to the Mexican flag and yet expected respect for the US flag? Respect works both way.

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    Happened in 2013, can we move on?
    Not yet.
    The Flag code actually IS Federal law, go ahead and check. Though I didn't know is happened 4 years ago, it did happen in Nevada and the last time I checked that is US soil. Respect does work both ways and they were not giving respect. Thats why they didn't get respect. He stood up for what's right, no one was hurt , and for that I support what he did.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Not yet.
    The Flag code actually IS Federal law, go ahead and check. Though I didn't know is happened 4 years ago, it did happen in Nevada and the last time I checked that is US soil. Respect does work both ways and they were not giving respect. Thats why they didn't get respect. He stood up for what's right, no one was hurt , and for that I support what he did.

Their flag is their property, they can display it however they want.
    You can't get arrested and charged for "improper display" of the US flag, the flag code might be a law but is not enforced as it goes against the First Amendement.

That ver fought for those people to have the freedom to display their flag the way they want.

Did they even know it was disrespectful or did that vet just walked in and stole their flag?

I see many people who display their US flag unproperly when they think they're being patriotic and respectful.
    I wouldn't steal those people's flag just because the display is not proper per the US flag code.

What do you think of that picture?
    Both US and Mexican flag showed, US flag not properly displayed.
    Would you feel it's legal for you to break into their home and steal their US flag?

150614i.jpg

Do you think the US flag is that way because they want to be direspectful or because they are just not aware of the proper way to display it? :dunno:

Educating people is better than commiting theft in my opinion.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Not yet.
    I don't need to check the flag code, I know it. I said nothing about the flag code. So how far do we go back to make a point? It's 2017.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That's an old video.We already had a thread about that some years ago.

I don't support what that veteran did.Hopefully he got arrested and charged for that theft.
    Stealing and destroying someone else's property because you don't agree on how they display their own flag is against the law.

I get that it's not a proper way to display the US flag (having a foreign flag on top on the same pole) but the US Flag Code is not the law, and shouldn't be.
    The First Amendment provides people the freedom to display their flag however they want.

If you decide to display your US flag upside down on your front porch do I have the right to steal it and cut it down with a knife? I don't think so!
    The law is not different when it's at a restaurant.

I get that vets are passionate about proper flag display, I am too.But in that situation I would have talked to the people who owned those flags and told them about the proper way to display both flags.
    I would not just stole their stuff.

That vet also showed no respect to the Mexican flag and yet expected respect for the US flag? Respect works both way.

Sylvain, I know you to be very up on what goes on over here. Thing is, that vet took serious offense and yes, so do I.
    Probably should have fed it to the owner.

This is not Mexico and the flag was not flying at the Mexican embassy. It was flying over our flag.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The U.S. Flag Code are instructions, not enforceable with any sanction in any way, shape or form.

I'm with Sylvain. If you believe in freedom and don't believe in private property rights, you don't believe in freedom. I thank you for your service, but stop violating the rights of others.

Snowflakes apparently come at many ages and with service records.

Last edited:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Sylvain, I know you to be very up on what goes on over here. Thing is, that vet took serious offense and yes, so do I.
    Probably should have fed it to the owner.

This is not Mexico and the flag was not flying at the Mexican embassy. It was flying over our flag.

They could have burned the US flag if they wanted, it would have still be illegal to steal their flag.
    I've seen vets do that in videos, steal people's flag during protests where people were trying to burn them.
    I deplore flag burning of course but people have the rigth to do what they want with their own property even if that offends you.
    (If they steal YOUR flag and try to burn it then it's a different story, you can use force to defend your own propety)

This was far from a flag burning though.I'm sure the owners of that restaurant were proud to dispaly both flag and probably just had one pole for both.And didn't know it was not a proper way to display either flag.

That vet should have talked to the owner, not steal his property.

I have great respect for vets but their vet status doesn't allow them to decide who should have a First Amendment rigth and who shouldn't. :twocents:

Not to mention it could have ended badly for the vet.
    Imagine if someone came to your house with a big knife to steal your property.I'm sure it wouldn't end well for the guy.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    They could have burned the US flag if they wanted, it would have still be illegal to steal their flag.
    I've seen vets do that in videos, steal people's flag during protests where people were trying to burn them.
    I deplore flag burning of course but people have the rigth to do what they want with their own property even if that offends you.
    (If they steal YOUR flag and try to burn it then it's a different story, you can use force to defend your own propety)

This was far from a flag burning though.I'm sure the owners of that restaurant were proud to dispaly both flag and probably just had one pole for both.And didn't know it was not a proper way to display either flag.

That vet should have talked to the owner, not steal his property.

I have great respect for vets but their vet status doesn't allow them to decide who should have a First Amendment rigth and who shouldn't. :twocents:

Not to mention it could have ended badly for the vet.
    Imagine if someone came to your house with a big knife to steal your property.I'm sure it wouldn't end well for the guy.

No it would not end well. But I am not inviting the action.

Hough made makes a good point. I understand yours.
    I am not condoning the theft or the vandalism.
    This is an emotional issue with many. Especially now.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Sylvain, what if it had been a cafe in the 19th arrondissement flying the ISIS shahada flag above the tricolour

You can't really compare the flag of a sovereign friendly nation (Mexico) to the one of a terrorist group.
    Of course I wouldn't be pleased to see the ISIS flag but I wouldn't steal someone else's flag over what I think should be the proper display of a flag.
    I would probably decide to support another business too.

Now if you're in France and decide to put your US flag on top of a French flag on a single pole (neither flag properly displayed) then I wouldn't have a problem with that.
    People have the right to do whatever they want with their own flags.It's a free country (so is America).

I think that vet overreacted (and broke the law) especially since there was no malicious intent behind that flag display.

I have seen neighbours display US flags improperly during D-Day (which is a big day over here in Normandy).One had a Union Jack and the US flag one the same pole in his yard (not sure which was on top, doesn't matter).He also had a French flag, Canadian flag and other Allied flags from WW2.
    The guy just had too much flags and not enough poles in his yard.I can assure you there was not ill intent behind the improper display on the US flag.
    He was proud of of it and decided to display it on the same pole as another flag rather than not displaying it that day.

If you're a vet and you're pissed by the improper display of the US flag then use your words.Talk to the flag owner, educate him, tell him how much that flag means to you and how it should be displayed.
    Don't just pull a knife and steal it.

I own both the US (right now neatly folded in triangle on a shelf) and French flag and would rather not display any than display any of them improperly.
    My problem is not about respecting the flag but rather respecting people's property (which is one of the rights represented by the US flag).

If you take MY US flag and step on it I will probably punch you in the face.
    If you take YOUR US flag and do the same then I will just think less of you, but I will let you step on your propety.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    I would bet there are at least 59,587 U.S Servicemen buried in France whom might have took offense with being called snowflakes.

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I used that example, Sylvain, because the flag flown at the top of the pole can be interpreted as a claim of the sovereignty of the property. That particular flag combination, in conjunction with the ideas of La Raza, in certain areas of our country would be almost as infuriating as ISIS claiming a part of your country

View attachment 54680

View attachment 54681

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom