US Navy Strike group moving to the Korean peninsula.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    U.S. Navy strike group to move toward Korean peninsula: U.S. official | Reuters

A U.S. Navy strike group will be moving toward the western Pacific Ocean near the Korean peninsula as a show of force, a U.S. official told Reuters on Saturday, as concerns grow about North Korea's advancing weapons program.
    Earlier this month North Korea tested a liquid-fueled Scud missile which only traveled a fraction of its range.
    The strike group, called Carl Vinson, includes an aircraft carrier and will make its way from Singapore toward the Korean peninsula, according to the official, who was not authorized to speak to the media and requested anonymity.
    "We feel the increased presence is necessary," the official said, citing North Korea's worrisome behavior.

I really don't know what to think about this. Risky move but it could help Japan out if it's successful. Some form of military action will be necessary before they develop nuclear ICBMs.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I find the timing of this curious. He orders this move right after spending 2 days with the Chinese Premier. I wonder if the Chinese are getting tired of him and are washing their hands of the issue.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    NK has played this game successfully for years, make a lot of military noise until somebody gives you money to stop. Somebody in western leadership goes home with a worthless agreement and gets TV time in front of the gushing media. Then the whole process starts over with a new cast of characters. Maybe this time we won't pay, Rex just doesn't have that "must be on TV" look about him.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    A carrier battle group brings a whole lot of firepower as well as a message in all caps. These guys were on their way to Australia so having them go park off the Korean Peninsula isn't as easy as sending an e-mail.

Another thing to keep in mind is the heavy bombers that the USAF rotates in and out of Guam. That's been going on for years. There is a lot of military capability in South Korea (both US and ROK) and there is a lot of pre-positioned WRM (War Reserve Materiel) in places most have never heard of or thought had closed years ago.

If we start hearing about a squadron of F-15s from Alaska parking at somewhere other than Osan or Kunsan Air Base or the 18 Wing out of Okinawa showing up? Then it's getting really serious. Moving F-22s to Okinawa or Guam could be a show of force. If the A-10s out of Eielson AFB, AK get parked at Suwon AB?? Katy bar the door!

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    This is phase 2 of the Syrian missile strike. Both are meant to send a message to NK and China. The message looks different to the two nations, but it is pretty clear.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    How is warning the Russians to move their stuff and by proxy warning Assad to move his stuff, and then launching millions of dollars at an empty airfield a message to the bad guys?

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    How is warning the Russians to move their stuff and by proxy warning Assad to move his stuff, and then launching millions of dollars at an empty airfield a message to the bad guys?
    They probably didn't get enough notice to clear out all their equipment, and certainly not stockpiles of munitions and chemical weapons.

I'm guessing the carrier force is more about convincing the chinese to get serious about leaning on NK. Kim jong the young-un won't be in a hurry to lose face over an implied threat.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Heard over the radio that Kim has gone into hiding. Scared little baby, rattles his sabers and then poops his pants when real fire power shows up on his doorstep.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Heard over the radio that Kim has gone into hiding. Scared little baby, rattles his sabers and then poops his pants when real fire power shows up on his doorstep.

Isn't he always into hiding?
    He has several residences connected by undergound railways.People never know where he's at.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

He is used to having his butt kissed when he acts out like this. Pay offs to stop being foolish.
    Time for that to stop.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    The most important part about having a big stick is the other guy thinking that you'll actually use it. Obama's foreign policy neutered things because no one really believed he'd do anything effective.

Very Reaganesque, IMO, for Trump thus far. Hopefully he doesn't go full Bush and involve ground troops in an actual invasion.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    The most important part about having a big stick is the other guy thinking that you'll actually use it. Obama's foreign policy neutered things because no one really believed he'd do anything effective.

Very Reaganesque, IMO, for Trump thus far. Hopefully he doesn't go full Bush and involve ground troops in an actual invasion.

Very Reagan-esque indeed. As to how far he goes, I`m praying he`ll do whatever is necessary to put an end to this. It`s the old, "you can pay me now, or pay me later" thing. It will be a lot less painful now, than later down the line to resolve this.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Hopefully he doesn't go full Bush and involve ground troops in an actual invasion.

Our troops on the Korean peninsula are stopping the south from going north and crushing the fat little dictator as much as keeping the north out. If the balloon goes up we'll have to run to keep up; but things will get very messy for bit that's for sure.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    If the balloon goes up, I expect (and hope) the first sign will be the on orbit destruction of the two Nork satellites that pass over the continental US. I bet Act's buddies are shadowing every Nork sub all the time, too

Top Bottom