Indianapolis
    C9kHZRtXUAAQKzc.jpg:large

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Yet another one of the unintended consequences of the end of the Cold War.
    Turkey once was an ally and friend.
    Put this Erdagon ****stain in power and he wants to turn the place into yet another Islamist sewer.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    "What the voters were saying: Insaf Akay, a 37-year-old mother in a headscarf, said she was tired of being discriminated against by secular Turks, describing how she had been spat on in a market. “I think there will be more freedom for people like me under the new system,” she said."

If true it's pretty ****ty to persecute people for their religious beliefs. But I think what she means, is that there'll be more freedom to personally oppress people who don't agree with her. They're just trading who has the power of the stick.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    People voting sometimes vote for things not ultimately in their best interest.

No exception, applies everywhere in the world.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    We've been planning an Istanbul trip for later this year (really, just turning a flight connection into a three-day stay). It's starting to look like this may not be a great plan.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    We've been planning an Istanbul trip for later this year (really, just turning a flight connection into a three-day stay). It's starting to look like this may not be a great plan.
    Might depend on how much of an adrenalin junkie you are. :)

FWIW, Ramadan starts May 26, and Eid is June 25.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    "What the voters were saying: Insaf Akay, a 37-year-old mother in a headscarf, said she was tired of being discriminated against by secular Turks, describing how she had been spat on in a market. “I think there will be more freedom for people like me under the new system,” she said."

If true it's pretty ****ty to persecute people for their religious beliefs. But I think what she means, is that there'll be more freedom to personally oppress people who don't agree with her. They're just trading who has the power of the stick.

Yep
    That story about "abuse" sounds mighty fishy, too, with the distinct smell of taqiya.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Sounds like the vote may have been tampered with, fraudulent voters, intimidation, etc.

Dictators are dictators, regardless of motivation. We've been walking a fine line with Turkey and the Kurds, historically enemies to each other but allied with us. This will be interesting.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Dear dictator Erdogan. Congratulations on your permanent grasp of power. I'm still working on mine. Wish me luck,

The D.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Well, Turkey has been on a downward spiral from powerful secular NATO country to third world islamic totalitarian ****-hole since 2007. Jailing journalists and consolidating power? Sounds like iran to me.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    So, on the eve of the 1yr anniversary to the coup Erdogan sacked another 7,000 officials, teachers, police and military officers who he said were involved in or sympathetic to the coup. He said "We will rip the heads from these traitors" and said that the parliament should send him a bill to do just that and he'd sign it. He now wants the power to go back and kill all those people he sacked and anyone one else he doesn't like too. The spiral to despotism increases its angle of attack while he aims to become the chief despot.

Turkey has also struck a deal to procure S400 SAM systems from Russia, a move that Mattis has said would make them incompatible with NATO forces.

On July 18th, Anadolu, the state news agency, published the locations of 10 US military posts in northern Syria including the number of troops present and their nationalities. The Pentagon response through spokesman Eric Pahon "While we cannot independently verify the sources that contributed to this story, we would be very concerned if officials from a NATO ally would purposefully endanger our forces by releasing sensitive information".

In a conflict where treachery is commonplace this is exceptional treachery. It is past time to start drawing down our presence there and seeking a consensus to have them removed from the NATO alliance. Erdogan will make us the enemy to ensure his grasp on totalitarian power, justifying it even as Castro, Maduro, and Un do.

Top Bottom