• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I tend not to get involved with workplace discussions about either politics or firearms (usually a mix when either come up). Three co-workers were doing the usual complaining about Trump et al. and the conversation turned to guns. Inner dialogue: "Oh boy, now they're going to test my limits." Discussion included but was not limited to:

• How they can't believe "semi-automatic" rifles (these people believe semi-automatics are automatics) haven't been banned yet
    • How no one should be allowed to carry a bad killing machine besides police
    • How Trump is enabling LEOs to shoot black people
    • How school shootings wouldn't happen without "semi-automatic" (agian, confusion) guns being legal
    • How gang members are constantly killing each other and innocent bystanders with "semi-automatic" handguns and rifles (again, confusing with automatic)
    • How police should *only* defend themselves by "shooting people in the legs or arms" even if a firearm is being pointed in his/her direction

This went on for a while. I finally asked a few questions:
    • Have you ever researched what firearm terms such as semi-automatic and automatic mean?
    • Are you aware that automatic weapons were not used in any of the school shootings you discussed?
    • Are you aware of the amount of killings in Chicago before concealed carry was even allowed?
    • Have you ever spoken with a police officer about why they don't shoot "legs or arms?"
    • Have you ever shot a firearm?

Anyway, most questions were met with blank stares, disbelief and self-indulgent twaddle. You may consider this the end of my short gun/politics rant.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I guess I'm lucky. I work with mainly married women who if not pro gun are neutral on the issue. Several even have their LTCH.

In your position I'd just try and keep my mouth shut around the liberal bunch.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I'm fortunate where I work.
    Everyone except for one female buzzcut (ahem) Hildabeast voter is pro-gun, with one outlier Hildabeast voter who is also pro-gun.

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    Its easier to be ignorant and not have to think about "facts" that get thrown around. Luckily, my dad is my only co worker and he's just as pro gun as me.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    OP. Good for asking them questions. There is a chance the might actually do some research, albeit a slim chance.

That's another reason I like my job. Everbody there (about 25 people) likes guns. But I only spend maybe 15-25 minutes a day chatting. The rest is spent by myself.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Ain't easy working with the ignorant, or the stupid. At least the stupid can be forgiven.

I'm kinda lucky. Most of my folks are either pro-freedom, or at least moderate. The ones that aren't either a) we both steer clear of those topics, or b) they come well armed with their version of the facts. A few still wear their pink hats and cry about their "rights", while sipping their frappe in their private office. I just smile and wave.

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Thank you for the replies gentleman. It's hard to keep my mouth shut. I didn't state any opinions, I just asked questions. You guys that work with non-ignorants are very fortunate :).

Baditude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    SE Indianapolis
    At least you don't work with people that think veterans are baby killers, no need to hunt etc... - the worst is my supervisor so I can't say anything it was brought up during a review when I had expressed opposition in a civil manner.

My only hope is that something happens to them or a family member to rethink their position (Karma)

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Guys, be very careful in the modern workplace. There are plenty out there who will stab you in the back in a heartbeat. Especially if you are in any kind of supervisory position. I have seen more times than I can remember, problem employees who will blame their incompetence and misfortune on you. In the super PC corporate world that exists you have to consider everything you say and do and who you tell what.

Sad, but the world we're in. Son in law works for a large liberal corporation. From the stories he tells about his co-workers, I wouldn't last two days there.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    Guys, be very careful in the modern workplace. There are plenty out there who will stab you in the back in a heartbeat. Especially if you are in any kind of supervisory position. I have seen more times than I can remember, problem employees who will blame their incompetence and misfortune on you. In the super PC corporate world that exists you have to consider everything you say and do and who you tell what.

Sad, but the world we're in. Son in law works for a large liberal corporation. From the stories he tells about his co-workers, I wouldn't last two days there.

Amen, and struggling, myself at times...

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    In spite of working for a very left company, the majority of coworkers are pro-gun or indifferent. I'm pretty sure if they didn't have the no weapons policy, my building would be one of the best defended in the state.

Its easier to be ignorant and not have to think about "facts" that get thrown around.

Hey, leave my ex wife out of this.

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    At least you don't work with people that think veterans are baby killers, no need to hunt etc... - the worst is my supervisor so I can't say anything it was brought up during a review when I had expressed opposition in a civil manner.

My only hope is that something happens to them or a family member to rethink their position (Karma)

People can never seen what's right in front of them.

I hear you.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

...and let whatever happens to them such as you describe cause no more harm than a destruction of false belief. In other words, let their eyes be opened without people being hurt or killed. For my part, I'll not wish that on anyone. Even Obama and Hillary, I've never once called for either to be injured in any way, physically. I did call for them to be embarrassed and forced to resign, disgraced, in some scandal. I failed to consider that the mass-media would protect them, where they would crucify any conservative. However, even now, with them both out of power, such that it would not be calling for harm to a sitting public official, I will not do so. I want only for them to be rendered irrelevant in our society. I want the People to realize that what people like those two embrace is anti-Constitutional and generally harmful to the body-politic.

This is where our side and the other side differ. The other side sees something they don't like and becomes violent against it (speaking generally, not of anyone specifically.) Oddly, that's exactly what they accuse "our side" of doing, despite it happening so rarely as for the exception to prove the rule. And yes, I know it's called "projection".

I heard about a group on Facepalm... Bookface... whatever the heck it's called... titled, "Liberalism is a mental disorder." I won't comment on the truth or falsehood of that group title, nor cast aspersions on a whole group by the actions of a few--that's called prejudice-- but I will say that the above behavior tends to give the group title credence. It's not a diagnosis, only an indication, in my mind. Those who take offense to my saying so should probably re-evaluate their own (personal) behavior. Probably.

Blessings,
    Bill

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

I work in a large liberal leaning corporation in Chicago, and I discuss guns quite a bit with my coworkers. I've even had a number of them out to my house to shoot.

Rather than getting in trouble, a half dozen have gotten their FOID cards and some are now working towards getting their CCW licenses over here. I don't argue with people here, but I will correct misconceptions when I hear them. I will also talk guns with any of them that want to. Educating and exposing them to guns has worked much better than hiding for me.

Top Bottom