• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Should the District of Columbia be a State?

People there decry that they are not represented in Congress and yet serve in the military, pay taxes, etc. I guess those are logical arguments. But...

If we made them at State, based on population, they would be the third smallest of the, then, 51 States. That would give them 2 Senators and 1-2, probably 1, voting Representatives.

Is that the right answer? I don't know, but dont think so.

My solution? Give the District back to Maryland. Let them be Maryland citizens and represented in Congress by Maryland's existing two Senators, and Maryland would likely have one more Representative. Seems a better solution than adding a 51st State.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Turning it into a state would guarantee into perpetuity two more Dem Senators and at least one more Dem Rep.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    NO!!!! All caps for true emphasis. As the DC police told a friend of mine who stopped at a 7/11 for directions..."Don't you know where you are? You're in Indian country! You need to follow us right now and get out of here!!!" There may have been some expletives deleted.

They are not a state, they are a dysfunctional city. They need to remain as they are...if not moved to the status of a 'protectorate' and denied the right to vote.

easy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    SEOK
    The 'district' was set up to NOT be a state so tat no state could claim to be the seat of the U.S.

Should not be a state for all the reasons posted so far.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The 'district' was set up to NOT be a state so tat no state could claim to be the seat of the U.S.

Should not be a state for all the reasons posted so far.

No, the only valid reasons I saw, were your's, and Eldirector's. The rest really don't have legitimate arguments.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Similar to the USVI, Guam, Puerto Rico, etc...

I don't particularly see a reason to change anything. A solution in search of a problem.

No. It's a partial solution for an existing problem. Problem: not enough democrats in congress. Solution: make DC a state. Adds two Democrat senators and one House member.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    No. It's a partial solution for an existing problem. Problem: not enough democrats in congress. Solution: make DC a state. Adds two Democrat senators and one House member.

Doesn't congress have the power to override local DC govt? Political affiliation really isn't an legitimate complaint here. That's met with a big fat "so what?". Residents live within the contiguous United States, are taxed, and are possibly subject to laws that their local govt did not draft. Given its population is larger than some states, it's certainly something that bears consideration.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Well. Let's put it this way. If DC were mostly inhabited by Republicans we'd very likely see the position of each side switch.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Doesn't congress have the power to override local DC govt? Political affiliation really isn't an legitimate complaint here. That's met with a big fat "so what?". Residents live within the contiguous United States, are taxed, and are possibly subject to laws that their local govt did not draft. Given its population is larger than some states, it's certainly something that bears consideration.

Only larger than two (Western) States. I dont see that as a real factor. In my opinion it over-weights their vote (per capita) and they are over weighted in the EC on a per capita basis.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Only larger than two (Western) States. I dont see that as a real factor. In my opinion it over-weights their vote (per capita) and they are over weighted in the EC on a per capita basis.

Thats a fair argument. The only real remedy, is to let DC be absorbed by neighboring states. I doubt anyone could actually benefit from being from the state where govt offices are based. It's an archaic belief.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Thats a fair argument. The only real remedy, is to let DC be absorbed by neighboring states. I doubt anyone could actually benefit from being from the state where govt offices are based. It's an archaic belief.

That's my proposal in my OP. Give it back to Maryland. Let them be Maryland residents and voters. Maybe Maryland will get one more Rep, but we wont have two more senators.

And, yes. Its kind of an archaic, but not too uncommon, thing to have the ""national or federal district" be in a separate local jurisdiction. Hasn't seemed to impact the UK though.

Geez! Kut and me agreeing! Will wonders never cease! :)

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Not so sure about that, Kut. Look at the microcosm that is Indiana: Some (many?) in the General Assembly seem to think that what works for Indianapolis should work for the whole state. Given that the seat of the Legislature is located *in Indianapolis*... perhaps the belief is less archaic than you describe. The same phenomenon can be seen in Illinois, vis a vis Chicago.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom