Collection of laws that do not apply to everyone.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I constantly hear about (companies, organizations, people...) agreeing to support a proposed law on the contingency of their being exempt from said law. There are also just straight up laws that do not apply to certain groups, classes ,or (it seems like most often) elected officials in politics.

I would like this thread to serve as a central location to collect all the examples of "I'm more equal than you" as you find them. If you see an article, thread, or example of this, come here and post a link, summary, or description of it.

I've made mental note for years of these but the thread on the Carmel mayor not having to take a drug test because he is an elected official reminded me that I wanted to start a collection. https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/general-political-discussion/437456-carmel-follies.html

"Not only was His Mayorship not cited, it seems that city employees driving city vehicles involved in accidents are required to undergo alcohol and drug testing...UNLESS they are elected officials."

Other examples?

EDIT: Oh yeah, the other recent example of such behavior is the COLT company debacle being reported by Militaryarms channel so well.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Your local police officer in a take home car not on duty. Speeding down the highway with his wife in the car.

Latter - valid, former - invalid.... unless you're upset because despite not working for a police department, you can't drive a police car home.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Can't site the law but the idea that diplomatic immunity even exists irks me.

It exists because of the hallowed tradition of kangaroo courting and torturing/executing the ambassadors of countries you didn't like. I see it as a necessary evil.

Indiana's unconstitutional vaping law would be a good example for your list.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    It's a trick question, guys and gals. Don't forget our well-known and passionate INGO "selective enforcement" advocates. According to those folks, _no_ law really applies to everyone; it is & should be a case-by-case scenario, left to the discretion of the cognizant authorized office-holder.

We have a government of laws, not men...except when we want it to be of men.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Can't site the law but the idea that diplomatic immunity even exists irks me.

Diplomatic immunity is a good thing and it's needed for international relationships.

You don't want US ambassadors all over the world to be arrested and searched by foreign police, with a bunch of confidential documents seized and leaked.
    Or have a secretary of state detained for hours by foreign customs to put pressure on the US goverment.

That's why you can't detain, arrest, search or prosecute them.

Some diplomats hide behind their immunity to commit crimes.That's probably what you don't like, not the immunity itself.

You have thousands of diplomats in the US alone and very few cases of people abusing their immunity.
    The worst most do is to refuse to pay their parking tickets when they park anywhere they want in DC or NYC.

They can literally get away with murder, don't have to obey traffic laws and don't even pay taxes (on anything including gas, food or airline fares) for most of them (depending on their country of origin).

But most of those diplomats are model citizens.They don' run red lights even though they could, they don't smuggle drugs or murder people.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    But most of those diplomats are model citizens.They don' run red lights even though they could, they don't smuggle drugs or murder people.

Also, it can be revoked by the person's own nation. If you murder someone and your home country decides it's not worth the political risk of letting you get by with it, they can tell the host nation you're fair game.

Diplomatic agents enjoy the highest degree
    of privileges and immunities. They enjoy
    complete personal inviolability, which means
    that they may not be handcuffed (except
    in extraordinary circumstances), arrested,
    or detained; and neither their property
    (including vehicles) nor residences may be
    entered or searched. Diplomatic agents also
    enjoy complete immunity from the criminal
    jurisdiction of the host country’s courts and
    thus cannot be prosecuted no matter how
    serious the offense unless their immunity is