• halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Agreed, get out of the Paris deal.
    On a related note...

I think we all should make an effort to save earth through every day living. I've grown kind of fond of the third rock.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Agreed, get out of the Paris deal.
    On a related note...

I think we all should make an effort to save earth through every day living. I've grown kind of fond of the third rock.

Yup. Problem being, of course, far too many of the spokespersons for the environmental units are watermelons. I don't think it's going to save the planet if I live in a hut while Al Gore lives in a mansion and Leo Di Caprio jets around on his yacht.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Yea, I do what I can on the home front. I'm far from perfect but last time I balanced my checkbook I knew I couldn't afford any significant amounts of Jet fuel.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Yup. Problem being, of course, far too many of the spokespersons for the environmental units are watermelons. I don't think it's going to save the planet if I live in a hut while Al Gore lives in a mansion and Leo Di Caprio jets around on his yacht.

There are jet yachts? ;)

No, it won't save the planet for *you* to live in a hut while Gore lives in a mansion. However, if EVERYONE but the fabulously wealthy lives in huts and ONLY the fabulously wealthy use cars, jets, yachts, etc., it will save the planet and all its resources for them to exploit.

The people have no bread!

Let them eat cake.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Used to work with a guy that recycled and thought he was saving the planet. National Geographic had a test for your "greeness". We both took it and he was shocked that I was saving the planet but he wasn't. The test heavily weighted air travel as a bad thing and he took the family on several vacations each year that gave him a bad score (and his 2 SUVs added to it). If commercial air travel is considered bad think what Leonardo's private plane with 4 passengers would rate on the green scale. I don't listen to celebrities about anything (ecology, politics or household products) because they are generally pretty or handsome idiots who are deluded into thinking they know more than they do.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    There are jet yachts? ;)

No, it won't save the planet for *you* to live in a hut while Gore lives in a mansion. However, if EVERYONE but the fabulously wealthy lives in huts and ONLY the fabulously wealthy use cars, jets, yachts, etc., it will save the planet and all its resources for them to exploit.

The people have no bread!

Let them eat cake.

Yup. That's why I have at least a bit of respect for Ed Begley, Jr. He pretty much practices what he preaches.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Another campaign promise kept! :yesway:

And while I'm at it, here's some good reading:

13 Worst Predictions Made on Earth Day, 1970 | FreedomWorks

EconomicPolicyJournal.com: 18 Spectacularly Wrong Prophecies from the First Earth Day

Dilbert Comic Strip on 2017-05-14 | Dilbert by Scott Adams

carbon-credits.jpg

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

The fun part of this is that the correctness of the impending scare doesn't matter so long as it scares the sheep into submission. Global warming, ice age, either way, it opens the door for the Al Gores of the world to rule through something between fear and terror.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    A treaty that was never even submitted for ratification is a nullity. Until the "Paris Accords" were ratified, the U.S. was not in it to begin with. Pulling out? Kinda, sorta, I guess, but not really.

Anyhoo, at best it was an environmental cypher anyway. More feel-good nothingness. Well, nothing except costing us a bunch of money.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I would like to see an academic study comparing the merits of eliminating "non-essential" commercial airline traffic (all non-military or commercial delivery) versus every home in the US switching to LED bulbs. Or a comparison of the energy savings were every business required by law to turn off its signage when not open for business versus every home in the US getting another 5 MPG by downgrading from an Ford F150 to a Toyota Camry. (or similar vehicle...)

But I'm sure the "Save muh globe!" crowd will tell us how *they* need to be able to jet from place to place to spread Gaia & Gore's Gospel and business leaders would moan about lost revenue because some weary traveler didn't see their Staples or Pizza Hut logo at 2 a.m. while charging 85 MPH down the highway...

This is Miguel's "From each according to his ability" strategy, as their commie masters would say.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I would like to see an academic study comparing the merits of eliminating "non-essential" commercial airline traffic (all non-military or commercial delivery) versus every home in the US switching to LED bulbs. Or a comparison of the energy savings were every business required by law to turn off its signage when not open for business versus every home in the US getting another 5 MPG by downgrading from an Ford F150 to a Toyota Camry. (or similar vehicle...)

But I'm sure the "Save muh globe!" crowd will tell us how *they* need to be able to jet from place to place to spread Gaia & Gore's Gospel and business leaders would moan about lost revenue because some weary traveler didn't see their Staples or Pizza Hut logo at 2 a.m. while charging 85 MPH down the highway...

This is Miguel's "From each according to his ability" strategy, as their commie masters would say.

Careful, that comparison might not turn out the way you think :)

View attachment 56260

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    So why were musk and Iger on the council in the first place? I thought they were intending to help America create jobs and expand its economy. This accord would do the exact opposite.

dueces

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GetLow16
    Top Bottom