• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    TOKYO — South Korea’s newly elected president, Moon Jae-in, has suspended the deployment of an American missile defense system, an apparent concession to China and a significant break with the United States on policy toward North Korea.

This is a system that WE paid for, and that not only protects the obviously ungrateful South Koreans, but the members of the U.S military stationed there. It was deemed "too provocative" to the North Koreans and China. I would hope the president takes a VERY hard line on this slap to our faces.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I'm down to let south Korea handle north Korea however they want. It's not our capital that stands to get wiped out in a north Korean conflict.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Elections have consequences. The ROK seems to have trouble realizing that too.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Oh, c'mon people. Quit being such meanies. If we're nice to them they'll want to be our friend. Maybe the South Koreans should try fellacio instead of missile defense.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    They're cutting off their own nose to spite their face.
    No, it won't end well, and it won't be pretty either.

Buckle your seat belts boys and girls.
    This ride looks like it's going to get bumpy.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    Have to wonder if this has anything to do with a calculation by the South Koreans with regards to Trump. Maybe they figure it in their best interest to deal with China and North Korea directly than to trust Trump. Maybe not, but it just makes me wonder.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Think about this for a moment. What if Korean assumes (or knows) we are going to strike against NK for there nuclear program they can now say to the world "look, we did not provoke anything".

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I think it's a pretty stupid move. They are the ones that is leaving themselves unprotected. We do not need SK to destroy NK's nuke program. But they sure need the defense from the retaliation.

I think we will eventually deal with NK. It won't be pretty.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Have to wonder if this has anything to do with a calculation by the South Koreans with regards to Trump. Maybe they figure it in their best interest to deal with China and North Korea directly than to trust Trump. Maybe not, but it just makes me wonder.

Or perhaps its a cynical calculation that the Norks are more likely to wish to nuke US than them. Much like Obama's cynical calculation that Israel was a more likely target for an Iranian bomb than we were. I don't think they really have thought this through, if your capital is within artillery range of the DMZ where does that leave you in a nuclear exchange between US and the Norks - better stock up on SPF 10000

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    We have had a great deal of opposition from the South Korean population for quite some time. I am with the consensus opinion: Leave, take our toys with us, let the jackasses deal with (or get run over by) Little Kim. They don't have anything to offer that isn't available elsewhere, no real strategic importance that is compromised any more than having the DPRK where it presently is. They made their bed, let them lie in it, fleas and all.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    Or perhaps its a cynical calculation that the Norks are more likely to wish to nuke US than them. Much like Obama's cynical calculation that Israel was a more likely target for an Iranian bomb than we were. I don't think they really have thought this through, if your capital is within artillery range of the DMZ where does that leave you in a nuclear exchange between US and the Norks - better stock up on SPF 10000

I was stationed there and I'm very aware of their situation and I don't think it's the right move in the long run. However I do have to wonder what all went into their calculation for doing so and if Trump wasn't a major factor. It's not like he is the most predictable or a source of calm and reassurance. This move does seem like a pretty big break from the US. Not saying we'll pull out our troops but this can't be something they figured would go over well with the US either.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    We have had a great deal of opposition from the South Korean population for quite some time. I am with the consensus opinion: Leave, take our toys with us, let the jackasses deal with (or get run over by) Little Kim. They don't have anything to offer that isn't available elsewhere, no real strategic importance that is compromised any more than having the DPRK where it presently is. They made their bed, let them lie in it, fleas and all.

Well you just keep thinking that way. Eventually we'll withdraw from everything but our little island. Just see where that will get you.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Think about this for a moment. What if Korean assumes (or knows) we are going to strike against NK for there nuclear program they can now say to the world "look, we did not provoke anything".

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I think it's a pretty stupid move. They are the ones that is leaving themselves unprotected. We do not need SK to destroy NK's nuke program. But they sure need the defense from the retaliation.

I think we will eventually deal with NK. It won't be pretty.

I don't know about the 'leaving them unprotected' part. The missile defense system isn't as much about protecting South Korea as it is say Japan and US territories. A missile defense system won't help Seoul in the event of a conflict.

Top Bottom