• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Putin has to talk crap since he's propping up Assad. He doesn't want to lose any hardware to F-15s. This does pose a serious problem with de-confliction of the airspace. I'm not an Ops-type but it's hard to maintain the air picture when you don't know who those other guys are (Russia and Syria fly the same crap) and you're not talking.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    While removing the assad regime is good policy in itself, who's going to fill that vacuum isn't any better. Instead of "my enemy's enemy is my friend", we've got "my enemy's enemy is also my enemy", since the opposition is dominated by ISIS and al-queda affiliates. The kurds seem to be the only ones worth supporting.
    Propping up assad's enemies as proxies to fight him so they can all tear each other down is probably better policy than getting directly involved but that has the side effect of millions of refugees swamping europe. Lose-lose situation.

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Kurds seem to be the only ones worth supporting but there are political hurdles to that because of Turkey.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Rather disappointing video...from their stock footage you'd think an F18 dropped a PGM on an SU7.

Our operations and the reason for us being involved remain ever so murky. We wandered into this conflict under the previous 'My redlines mean nothing' misadministration. While our red lines definitely mean more now everyone over there is looking to what is going to happen when ISIS falls, that time is coming, and they all want to preposition the players for what is coming next; I'm not feeling confident that we are.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Just read a Strike Eagle smoked an armed Iranian drone.

You keep your threadjacking jedi parlor tricks out of this thread, mister.

If it was really a Strike Eagle, though, I wonder if it was a Sidewinder. I didn't think they carried medium/long range A-A missiles. Or maybe it was guns guns guns! :)

ETA:
    Dammit - you suckered me in to your threadjack.

You're good.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    According to wiki site the Strike Eagle can carry up to 8 AMRAAM, probably wouldn't be configured that way over Syria but Radar, Heaters or Guns.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    According to wiki site the Strike Eagle can carry up to 8 AMRAAM, probably wouldn't be configured that way over Syria but Radar, Heaters or Guns.

Dude. Don't fall for his threadjacking. You're better than that. INGO is better than that.

But, with the various threat profiles, probably does make sense for a dual AMRAAM loadout, or maybe even an asymmetric loadout of one -9 and one -120.

ETA:
    Dammit. Got me again.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Maybe the thread could just be renamed US shoots down Syrian warplanes? If it's plural then we're happy and can include activities from the other services. :rockwoot:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    It was in Syria and it got shot down so only a mild threadjack. F-15E models are air to ground Aircraft, but like all they have air to air capability. Sidewinders, AMRAAMs, not sure about Sparrows and of course the M 61 20 mm cannon. I've bet on a missile, the hawg drivers like the gun. Eagle and Viper not so much.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Is this the reason, why there is a "no fly zone", for U.S. ?????

I heard something about anything that flys west of so and so,

gets shot down .....

Well, the Ruskies said there a no fly zone for anything west of the Euphrates that's not theirs. Of course Sadam said the same thing and tried to shoot us down with the same sort of SAMs for years...and failed, he shot at us almost every day. They have some newer stuff over at their bases on the coast but not sure how much that's going to help them over the current area in the eastern part of the country. Sadam found out early that turning on his tracking radars made his systems go all splodey.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Kurds seem to be the only ones worth supporting but there are political hurdles to that because of Turkey.

Two state solution. We do Assad and the Palestinians get Syria for a homeland (Israel gets Israel). Behind closed doors we make clear that what the US giveth the US can take away so develop your new country, lay off the struggle - you lost

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Rather disappointing video...from their stock footage you'd think an F18 dropped a PGM on an SU7. ..

Well, since T.Lex has lit the thread-jack lamp, I guess I can jump in here:

During the First Gulf War, an F-15E shot down an Iraqi helicopter with a laser-guided bomb. The helicopter had been on the ground loading troops, and took off before the bomb reached it. The F-15E kept its laser on the helicopter and the bomb intercepted it at about 200 feet off the ground.

Back to your regularly scheduled program. Whatever it was.

Top Bottom