• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    I have to agree with SCOTUS on this one.

After I retired I took a part time job at one of the big box home improvement stores. One night I happened to check the sex registry for my area and found one of my co-workers on it? Rapist? Child molester?

Nope. He tried to engage the services of a prostitute. Bad judgement maybe. But sexually predatory behavior? No. He had no business being on the list.

Sexual registries, like so many government schemes, have been perverted from their original purpose and turned into political footballs. I recall a case a few years back where a guy had to go on the registry in his state for having sex with his girlfriend who he subsequently married. He had to stay on it.

A prohibition on the use of social media using these lists as a basis is throwing the net WAY too wide.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

After I retired I took a part time job at one of the big box home improvement stores. One night I happened to check the sex registry for my area and found one of my co-workers on it? Rapist? Child molester?

Nope. He tried to engage the services of a prostitute. Bad judgement maybe. But sexually predatory behavior? No. He had no business being on the list.

Sexual registries, like so many government schemes, have been perverted from their original purpose and turned into political footballs. I recall a case a few years back where a guy had to go on the registry in his state for having sex with his girlfriend who he subsequently married. He had to stay on it.

A prohibition on the use of social media using these lists as a basis is throwing the net WAY too wide.

Can't you also make it to that list if you're caught peeing in public?

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central

Seriously, he paid for a prostitute and he was put on a list?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Can't you also make it to that list if you're caught peeing in public?

yup. Worked in a kitchen with a guy who got hammered at a bar here in town. Took a leak and a dude and his daughter walked around the corner. Sex offender + indecent exposure. Its been awhile but i think the issue was the girl was like 7 or 8. Had to go to court and everything. Obviously bad call on this guys part but eh.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Don't you love it when the article demolishes its own credability in the opening sentence;
    "To be fair, the headline isn’t entirely honest in terms of the sentiments being expressed, but as far as the letter of the law goes it’s pretty darned close."

Do I think that a blanket ban is appropriate in this instance? No. Do I think that individuals should have some targeted, measured limitations on who they may contact on social media following a conviction in a court of law? Yes.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...Do I think that a blanket ban is appropriate in this instance? No. Do I think that individuals should have some targeted, measured limitations on who they may contact on social media following a conviction in a court of law? Yes.

I don't disagree with that. I am also thoroughly in favor of parents parenting.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have long believed that the federal gov't should be offering bounties for the reporting of illegal activities posted on social media that result in conviction.

Top Bottom