sex-and-dope-high-in-demand-for-the-inauguration.jpg

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    $240,000 per year / 52 weeks / 26.5 hours per week = $174/hour. that is far below what I would expect the billable hourly rate for an attorney in that position to be. remember professional rates have to cover all expenses it's not just pocketed.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    This is why we have govt corruption because this **** is allowed. Like a state rep being a executive at ipalco with a huge salary and an empty office because he's never been there. Just one small example from years back.
    The corruption is unbelievable

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    $240,000 per year / 52 weeks / 26.5 hours per week = $174/hour. that is far below what I would expect the billable hourly rate for an attorney in that position to be. remember professional rates have to cover all expenses it's not just pocketed.

If she was being paid by invoiced billable hours, you would be correct. This is a salary where hours of work product, and a billable hour isn't just an hour spent at work, are not required which is why it is so exceptional.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...and 52 weeks a year? I think not. I would imagine she averages 26.5 hours when she is billing, but not 52 weeks a year. Also, don't forget that billable rates are based upon what it takes to run the whole office. The take home is around 50% (before taxes), IF you have the expenses of a normal law office. HOWEVER, I do not think she has law-office overhead, so it's all "take home", meaning in a normal practice with overhead, she would have to bill at about $350/hr to clear this amount...which is a pretty good rate in Indiana.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If that's the market rate for competent, specialized legal advice...so be it, good for her.

If legal advice of the same quality is available at a lower rate, I would like to see the goverment take advantage of that lower rate.

The rate seems high to my eyes, accustomed as they are to seeing a mechanic's paycheck, but I would honestly expect "crony" rates to be even higher, if that were the case.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    If that's the market rate for competent, specialized legal advice...so be it, good for her.

If legal advice of the same quality is available at a lower rate, I would like to see the goverment take advantage of that lower rate.

The rate seems high to my eyes, accustomed as they are to seeing a mechanic's paycheck, but I would honestly expect "crony" rates to be even higher, if that were the case.

The best atty I ever had was a lousy atty BUT he was politically powerful. Seldom did we go to court, never any issues, and worth every dime/dollar spent and paid to him.
    I always figured he buried the bodies.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

So we're assuming that 26.5 hours on a time sheet equates to 26.5 hours of work that needed to be done and actually took 26.5 hours? Interesting.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    So we're assuming that 26.5 hours on a time sheet equates to 26.5 hours of work that needed to be done and actually took 26.5 hours? Interesting.

I wasn't really thinking about this in an "hours worked vs hours billed" thing...I was more thinking that an effective lawyer might spend a few hours writing a letter and end up saving their municipal employer significant money...tens of millions, even. If my attorney saved me 10 million dollars on contract disputes over the course of a year, she's worth every penny of that 240k I paid her for the year.

I get upset with crony "backroom" business, but I don't really have a problem seeing qualified professionals take "large" salaries.

Top Bottom