• d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Not that this will come as a surprise but this is Pete's reply to me on a bill to defund sanctuary cities. I cant wait for this Ahole to retire. Another prime example of why we need term limits

Dear Donovan:

Thank you for contacting me regarding multiple issues, including your support for H.R. 3003, the No Sanctuary for Criminals Act. I appreciate hearing from you.

I disagree with you on this issue. That is why, on June 29, 2017, I opposed H.R. 3003. Despite my opposition, the House approved H.R. 3003 by a vote of 228 to 195. Introduced by Rep. Goodlatte, H.R. 3003 seeks to prohibit sanctuary jurisdictions by prohibiting state and local governments or officials from restricting the ability of local law enforcement or other entities to comply with federal immigration laws. The measure also would block certain federal funding for state and local governments that fail to comply with this legislation. Subsequently, H.R. 3003 was referred to the Senate, where it is currently pending consideration.

As you know, sanctuary jurisdictions are states and localities that refuse to comply with federal requests to detain undocumented immigrants that are pending transfer of custody from the jurisdiction to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). Sanctuary jurisdictions also may restrict information sharing between local law enforcement and ICE regarding undocumented immigrants, and restrict the use of local resources for federal immigration enforcement activities.

I would note that many law enforcement groups have indicated support for maintaining sanctuary jurisdictions because they believe it should not be the responsibility of state and local law enforcement to enforce federal immigration laws. Being unlawfully present in the United States is a civil, not a criminal, offense and, as such, state and local law enforcement are generally only supposed to be responsible for detaining immigrants who have also committed a criminal act. Several law enforcement organizations have stated that they do not have adequate resources available to be able to enforce federal immigration laws, and if they are forced to do so it will hinder their ability to address more serious criminal activity.

Thank you again for contacting me. Do not hesitate to let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.
    Sincerely,

Peter J. Visclosky
    Member of Congress

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Didn't know it was a civil offense. Seems it should be criminal to break into a sovereign nation.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I don't agree with his position, but I will give his office some credit for at least responding with a reasonably well articulated answer. It's not some generic form letter one has come to expect from Congress critters these days.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Vicloskey is the sorriest excuse for a Congressman who ever came from Indiana. No surprise. But be sure to file his response so when be changes his tune under the next Democrat POTUS, you can send it back to him and remind him what a true POS he really is.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Illegal means ****ing ILLEGAL! I CANNOT go to Mehico, and get a bank account, and buy property, and/or start a business without jumping through lotsa legaleze, why should we not extend the same "courtesy" to those that come here?

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Didn't know it was a civil offense. Seems it should be criminal to break into a sovereign nation.

I'm pretty sure it is. Depending if you cross the border or overstay a visa it's either a misd or felony. First offense might be civil, but I don't think so.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    He tows the party line, it is what he does.

When he retires the next guy will be a D and will tow the party line too.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    He tows the party line, it is what he does.

When he retires the next guy will be a D and will tow the party line too.

It is no longer the business of the people. It is all about getting and keeping the seat. Much power and huge perks that the common man does not realize or even make an attempt to see.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I'm pretty sure it is. Depending if you cross the border or overstay a visa it's either a misd or felony. First offense might be civil, but I don't think so.

You have to have an FM3 or FMN (work permit) to work in mexico, pay as soon as you cross the line at the border bank.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    So you're thinking that his political position would be influenced by what is best for his constituency rather than keeping the special interests happy?

That's cute.

And if one believed this travesty to be true, the natural question would be: what is one doing to work within the political system to reverse this travesty?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    And if one believed this travesty to be true, the natural question would be: what is one doing to work within the political system to reverse this travesty?

In that district there isn't anything that can be done to effectively solve the problem that isn't a felony.

Top Bottom