• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I had hoped the election of Trump would solidify Republicans into a concerted effort to undo years of liberal creep on our policies. I had hoped controlling all three branches of government would give them the power they claimed they needed to do all the stuff they ran for.

It's clear that Trump is more conservative than the national republican party, and that the GOP cannot be trusted. I think it's time for a conservative party to emerge, independent from Republican party, and start to make inroads. Honestly what does it matter if repubs have house and senate if they refuse to do what we elected them to do? Conservative party members of congress can caucus with dems to help control committee chairmanships.

I've had enough of the republican party and want a non-libertarian alternative. The election of trump has merely exposed the republicans for who they are. Big-government liberals. Enough.

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    I fully agree.

They do seem to be doing their best to squander the opportunities they have been given. It proves that most of them want the same end result as the Democrats.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Trump is more conservative that the standard GOP? Are we saying this as if he has the actual conviction, or with the belief that he is simply pandering to actual conservatives.

Kut (thinks Trump has no loyalties to anyone but himself)

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Trump is more conservative that the standard GOP? Are we saying this as if he has the actual conviction, or with the belief that he is simply pandering to actual conservatives.

Kut (thinks Trump has no loyalties to anyone but himself)

he has done many conservative things unilaterally that republicans could have done but have not. If he could unilaterally change tax rates he would. If he could unilaterally repeal Obamacare he would.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I had hoped the election of Trump would solidify Republicans into a concerted effort to undo years of liberal creep on our policies. I had hoped controlling all three branches of government would give them the power they claimed they needed to do all the stuff they ran for.

It's clear that Trump is more conservative than the national republican party, and that the GOP cannot be trusted. I think it's time for a conservative party to emerge, independent from Republican party, and start to make inroads. Honestly what does it matter if repubs have house and senate if they refuse to do what we elected them to do? Conservative party members of congress can caucus with dems to help control committee chairmanships.

I've had enough of the republican party and want a non-libertarian alternative. The election of trump has merely exposed the republicans for who they are. Big-government liberals. Enough.

Amen to that. These so called Republicans are holding Trump back. We the People need to help him drain the swamp, but unfortunately there doesnt seem to be any viable options that run against these Aholes. We need true conservtives to choose from

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    he has done many conservative things unilaterally that republicans could have done but have not. If he could unilaterally change tax rates he would. If he could unilaterally repeal Obamacare he would.

If he could unilaterally anoint himself king, and jail his political opponents, he would.
    Trump is a populist, not a conservative. He panders to conservatives because they are the group that accepts him the most.
    Let's look at his decidedly non-conservative personal world:
    -his products are made overseas
    -he believes in eminent domain
    -he does support a repeal of ACA, only a 2.0 version of it
    -He supported Obama's stimulus package, auto, and bank bailouts
    -he was pro-choice, until he wasn't
    -he gave money to the Clintons when they were his friends, and then they weren't
    -he supported single-payer health care, and then he didn't
    -he supports an expansion of libel laws

Trump IS not a conservative. He's a 71 year old man who saw an opportunity, in 2015, to rise to highest office in the land. I don't know very many people of his age, that can go 180 on topics that most are lifelong believers of. Especially not egomaniacs such as Trump. His conservatism is crafted solely to raise his profile. Now what he says may be MORE conservative that the current GOP, but don't be fooled for a minute that he actually holds those views in his heart.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    He had done more conservative things since taking office than republican leadership has

if you say he's an opportunist, why keep doing all this conservative stuff? He's already elected.

and I'm also pointing out that as non-conservative as trump is, he's still further right than GOP

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Trump is not conservative; he's simply willing to step on toes that the Republican Party isn't willing to risk their castle to step on. To use an INGO analogy, conservative voters want the GOP to come out and "clear the house;" the GOP just wants to hole up in the bedroom and wait for the Police to arrive. When the GOP is defending its turf, it becomes weak in the knees and they will not take more risks than necessary.

On the other hand: the GOP can act plenty conservative...when they're in the minority and need our vote to get back in the majority.

I hate to say it, but the closest we may ever get to a solution may be to let them lose once in a while.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Trump is not conservative at all?
    The one elected Republican president who has done more to rhetorically and through deed to advance conservatism since Reagan?
    I always laughed any time I heard Dems and the media act horrified at what an "ultra-conservative" both Bush 41 and Bush 43 were.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County

MXPJ6UA.gif

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I like what I hear.

But before I jump onboard your new party I'd like to know some details. Can you narrow down the term "conservative" a little bit? What would your policy agenda look like?

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I like what I hear.

But before I jump onboard your new party I'd like to know some details. Can you narrow down the term "conservative" a little bit? What would your policy agenda look like?

That is an excellent question! I think that a party that was truly limited government on economic issues, and also limited government on social issues, would draw a lot of voters from all of the parties.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    He had done more conservative things since taking office than republican leadership has

if you say he's an opportunist, why keep doing all this conservative stuff? He's already elected.

and I'm also pointing out that as non-conservative as trump is, he's still further right than GOP
    I agree with your original point that Trump has exposed the GOP for the frauds they are. Unfortunately they think we are stuck with them with no where else to go.

And dont let the trolls get to you.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010

Trump is not conservative at all?
    The one elected Republican president who has done more to rhetorically and through deed to advance conservatism since Reagan?
    I always laughed any time I heard Dems and the media act horrified at what an "ultra-conservative" both Bush 41 and Bush 43 were.

You are both correct, though: Trump is going to generate a whole lot more dissatisfaction among Republican voters with "their" party (which really isn't "their" party; it's just the part of Lobbyists). Voters are going to see how easy it is for Trump to disregard so-called established "norms," and wonder why Republicans shackle themselves with these "rules."

When voters start to ask "why" a party cannot advocate for their interests effectively...when they begin to wake up and eat from the tree of knowledge, and figure out that the party is owned by Lobbyists, not voters...it's not going to be pretty.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    That is an excellent question! I think that a party that was truly limited government on economic issues, and also limited government on social issues, would draw a lot of voters from all of the parties.

But you already have that. And it hasn't earned a single electoral vote yet. That's not really "Conservative." The root of Conservative is, "to conserve," meaning to take that which is good about society, and preserve it. And like it or not, that includes Social issues, as well.

Nobody wants Big Brother in their bedroom. However: we can all think of emerging social trends that are bad for society, too. Live and let live sounds great, to me. But the problem is this big pile of money government already has sitting in the middle of the table, that isn't going anywhere.

It's hard to "let live," when the people automatically give you money with which to manage their lives. It unavoidably becomes an argument about how - not whether - that management is going to occur.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom