• ...and so much more!
  • A UTR event is coming to your area, do you:

• Total voters

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    So, let's say your local municipality was chosen by certain groups for a "Unite the Right" (UTR) gathering. Neo-nazis, white supremacists, identity types (but not sovereign citizens, because they don't need to gather, and Article 4, section 69 says so), will be gathering to protest "diversity" and "genocide."

Naturally, a counter-protest is also being planned.

Just wondering if there's an INGO consensus on what individuals would do.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I didn't counter protest BLM and I wouldn't protest the "Alt-Right", neither group is deserving of my time or attention as neither serves to improve anything. Acknowledging them gives them the legitimacy they crave, ignore them and they'll go away. If they choose to allow their gathering to turn violent or involve destruction of property lock them up and allow the courts to deal with them.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Acknowledging them gives them the legitimacy they crave, ignore them and they'll go away. If they choose to allow their gathering to turn violent or involve destruction of property lock them up and allow the courts to deal with them.
    So, under the current framework, municipalities are forced to allow them to gather, subject to "reasonable" time, place and manner restrictions.

Time, Place, and Manner Restrictions legal definition of Time, Place, and Manner Restrictions

Cities don't have the luxury of ignoring them. :(

That's why a judge ordered Charlottesville to allow the initial gathering.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    So, under the current framework, municipalities are forced to allow them to gather, subject to "reasonable" time, place and manner restrictions.

Time, Place, and Manner Restrictions legal definition of Time, Place, and Manner Restrictions

Cities don't have the luxury of ignoring them. :(

That's why a judge ordered Charlottesville to allow the initial gathering.

I didn't read the reference but it seems to me that has everything to do with Free Speech. Very often Free Speech isn't everything we might like it to be.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Stay home smoking a cigar and enjoying an adult beverage. Both of these groups gather hoping to provoke "the other side" into doing something irrational, and it usually works.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I've gone to a couple of political rallies (I would not classify them as protests as we think of protests) in my day....but I'll stay away from anything like these.

So- a non-vote as I won't watch it on TV or otherwise. I only wish I had the luxurious amount of time to spend on nonproductive pursuits like yelling at people....or watching people yell at each other. 'Course if I did have that time, this is not how I would spend it.

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    I support their right to assemble peacefully whether i agree with their protest or not. However i would stay home eating bacon (which i like but don't love) to remain as far away as possible. I wouldn't even get close to observe.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I didn't counter protest BLM and I wouldn't protest the "Alt-Right", neither group is deserving of my time or attention as neither serves to improve anything. Acknowledging them gives them the legitimacy they crave, ignore them and they'll go away. If they choose to allow their gathering to turn violent or involve destruction of property lock them up and allow the courts to deal with them.

How was the Indy BLM protest. Idk because I really didn't pay attention to it. Was there any trouble during the protest; things like distasteful slogans illustrating hate towards white people, police officers, or crowd in a generally hateful mood?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I would stay home. I look at this as a battle between a bunch of Nazis and a bunch of Bolsheviks. I don't have a side in that battle. I just feel bad that LE has to be involved.

Top Bottom