• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    They do that to extend the life of the pavement, I've heard. They did that to a road not far from me last year. That pavement was about 10 years old and starting to get cracks in it, etc...so I could understand that one.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Much as I consider the present administration to be worthless, this does make sense. State specification asphalt mix is NOT waterproof, which allows the admission of water and destruction of pavement through the expansion associated with freezing, and this should be adequate to stop that from happening.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Much as I consider the present administration to be worthless, this does make sense. State specification asphalt mix is NOT waterproof, which allows the admission of water and destruction of pavement through the expansion associated with freezing, and this should be adequate to stop that from happening.

Roadway issues in most places in IN aren't due to water coming from the top down - it's coming from the ground up. No matter how impermeable the top surface is (be it asphalt or concrete or macadam or whatever) - it's the highly permeable subgrade layers that can allow the upward transport of water due to "pumping".

Groundwater mitigation is key in the long-term viability of a roadway - no matter the roadway. And in many places in Indiana, groundwater mitigation is quite difficult.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Roadway issues in most places in IN aren't due to water coming from the top down - it's coming from the ground up. No matter how impermeable the top surface is (be it asphalt or concrete or macadam or whatever) - it's the highly permeable subgrade layers that can allow the upward transport of water due to "pumping".

Groundwater mitigation is key in the long-term viability of a roadway - no matter the roadway. And in many places in Indiana, groundwater mitigation is quite difficult.

This is often true, but if the road is built correctly, it will bridge without the movement necessary to pump up water. Now, when you have something like what 40 used to be like through Plainfield, with the road lower than the surrounding grade and no meaningful drainage, you end up with asphalt over the top of a slab of concrete sitting on top of mud. There was one place, near where the Reagan Parkway now crosses 40 where we never did find anything solid even after digging deep enough I couldn't see out the top of the hole, which led to putting down mesh and bridging it with 53s, which worked quite well.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    This is often true, but if the road is built correctly, it will bridge without the movement necessary to pump up water. Now, when you have something like what 40 used to be like through Plainfield, with the road lower than the surrounding grade and no meaningful drainage, you end up with asphalt over the top of a slab of concrete sitting on top of mud. There was one place, near where the Reagan Parkway now crosses 40 where we never did find anything solid even after digging deep enough I couldn't see out the top of the hole, which led to putting down mesh and bridging it with 53s, which worked quite well.

There are spots along US 30 in/near Columbia City where there have been 6+ FEET of asphalt excavated... I've seen it. That's years of wedging/leveling. Mercy.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    The gas tax is is bull crap, but it's a usage tax. I'm for usage taxes and I wish they would remove the robbery knows as property and income taxes.

Indiana roads are some of the worse in the country. Why don't they just pay more from the start to have better quality? Also hold the people that build them accountable for their ****ty work.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    Speaking of chip seal roads, the town I live it just chip sealed the whole shebang, every street, minus the higheays that run thru town. Looks like crap, loose rocks everywhere, uneven, peeling within a few weeks.

the fedex man even had to say it was the worst roadwork he's seen. That's a person who drives a lot of roads. The 20 year old town council head got us a grant, so thank you to the rest of my hoosiers who paid for my crappy road

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I shop for price. If it's higher here, I fill up in Louisville. Before the tax hike gas around here traded off with Louisville for which was higher. Since the tax hike Louisville is almost always lower.

Dave A

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2010
    Hancock Co.
    I was on I-69 today coming from Kentucky, after watching the eclipse, and the right hand lane was closed because they were cutting out sections of concrete. What the hell, is that road two years old? I hope the original contractor is paying to have it fixed.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    We need to be talking to our local legislators about this debacle. Hold those folks accountable for this wasteful mess they created.

I could be corrected, but I know of no one who ran on the idea of raising our taxes, much less pissing them away fixing roads that don't need fixed?

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    I was on I-69 today coming from Kentucky, after watching the eclipse, and the right hand lane was closed because they were cutting out sections of concrete. What the hell, is that road two years old? I hope the original contractor is paying to have it fixed.

this is why you have a gas tax now.......I69 should have never been built till all the roads and bridges in the state where fixed!!!!!.......I69 will be under construction because it was built on the cheap......

and no the state is paying them to fix it.......there is a cave off the bridge in the north bound lanes over my road that White construction spent of 1 million trying to stop it from caving in ......

less than 6 months after it opened guees what it started to cave in again.......so INDOT payed Whites another 1 million to plug it again and yes it is still moving......

this is just one of many many horror story's with the building of I69 south......

with this tax and I69.....why would you put new carpet in a house when the roof is leaking bad.....:dunno:

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Two words: lowest bidder.

IN has the worst roads? no. just no.

Far from the best but better than some I've seen. chip n seal is the DOT equivalent of eating ramen and last I checked, we do have a better balanced budget than our neighbor to the west so as much as I don't like it, it does count for something.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Two words: lowest bidder.

IN has the worst roads? no. just no.

Far from the best but better than some I've seen. chip n seal is the DOT equivalent of eating ramen and last I checked, we do have a better balanced budget than our neighbor to the west so as much as I don't like it, it does count for something.

It isn't a lowest bidder problem. The problem is that Mitch discovered that by having the pavement made thinner and a few other corners cut, he could have the road built before the opposition started gaining momentum, and instead of a fight, he could take a big bow, or motorcycle ride, as the case may be, and now we are paying for that stupid little bastard's idiocy.

As for the chip and seal, it is a poor tool for repair, but it will prevent water from entering the water-permeable asphalt, freezing, and breaking it up in most cases.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    The republicans ****ed us on this one folks. They all think they did the right thing but they didn't and their blind butt kissers are out in force defending them. I have respect for some of the reps that voted for this but on this one they ****ed up and it will be remembered

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    I think the body shops and road crews are working together in this chip and seal crap. I drove through some freshly done not long ago and i have about a dozen new pretty deep scratches down the side of my truck. Really sucks when your on a motorcycle also.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    I think the body shops and road crews are working together in this chip and seal crap. I drove through some freshly done not long ago and i have about a dozen new pretty deep scratches down the side of my truck. Really sucks when your on a motorcycle also.

don't forget about the windshield people.....ask me how i know....:xmad:

GlockDoc

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Henry
    I've seen a lot of roads chip sealed after the new tax. I've yet to see any real improvement to any road, in my area, since the implication of the tax. Typical.

Top Bottom