• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    Well it does commemorate Confederate Soldiers. This thing is huge and It's even worse due to our President and his remarks. Not sure if Charlottesville alone could do this or not. I just think Trump made it worse,

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Trump's "unpolished" speaking results in him being in more hot water and stirs more controversy than is needed. Enough threads are discussing that already though. One thing I noted was the monument said erected by the United States and I wonder if that will bring the federal government into the conversation or if it was a gift and the city can do whatever it pleases with it?

Well it does commemorate Confederate Soldiers. This thing is huge and It's even worse due to our President and his remarks. Not sure if Charlottesville alone could do this or not. I just think Trump made it worse,

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    Trump's "unpolished" speaking results in him being in more hot water and stirs more controversy than is needed. Enough threads are discussing that already though. One thing I noted was the monument said erected by the United States and I wonder if that will bring the federal government into the conversation or if it was a gift and the city can do whatever it pleases with it?

That's exactly at the heart of the matter there.

To the other point I have no idea but I put dollars to donuts it's got to go too. Don't really desire to see the Sh** Show happen in my backyard.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    This is a political issue.

If the people (voters) want it to be moved, the political leadership should move it. Otherwise, it is public property that should be protected.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city

Lol. Broken record.
    Nothing wrong with the confederacy and commemorating history. This just shows how the left is radical and will bite at any issue. They need to have a doctor issuing anti-depressants and anti-phsychotic drugs at the lefts rallys.
    Indianapolis is ran by the dumb democrats and has been for a while (city council) so nothing will surprise me. They love shock value to keep their lazy base fired up.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    So this was a monument for the mass grave of Confederate soldiers that died while in Union captivity...
    Not sure how this is celebrating slavery...

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    How should the will of the people be determined?

I am a big fan of not making rash decisions. Politicians seem to be reacting in a knee jerk reaction to the latest mass demonstration. Not that I ever trusted a politician, but in this climate it's really hard to believe they are acting in the best interest of the constituency.

For example, would a referendum be the way to go?

But would that address the possible genuine concern of the minority who feels genuinely offended?

I read a marist study from this week that something like 44% of Black Americans believed the confederate monuments should stay?? Now I didnt' look up methodology or anything but that is a significant number. I believe the poll wanted them to remain because they are valid teaching points.

I think that is where I fall in the midst of all this. Make sure they are memorials and make them teaching moments, perhaps by placing other memorials around them giving context or something. Until the past year, most people probably walked right past these statues and never gave them a second thought. That's the way I do most historical markers in my home area.

This is a political issue.

If the people (voters) want it to be moved, the political leadership should move it. Otherwise, it is public property that should be protected.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    What a cluster ****. Gray is correct, the appropriate place for the monument was in the cemetery with the remains of the soldiers being memorialized. It should have been put there when the remains were moved. Moving it there now is stupid and a waste of tax payer money.

The rest of what he said in that quote was nonsense. He is grandstanding

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    So this was a monument for the mass grave of Confederate soldiers that died while in Union captivity...
    Not sure how this is celebrating slavery...

It's a Confederate Monument why and what it's for no longer matters. We are where we are and it no longer matters.

Just guessing

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    What real social problem will removing the statues/memorials solve?

Poverty? Illegitimacy? Unemployment? Crime?

Kinda like the Democrat platform. What have they solved? Nothing. What have they done? Bankrupted our nation. Created a whole workforce of non working dependas who,collect their government checks. Created violent followers. And the negatives keep going

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    How many people knew it was there a week ago? Now it's more important than everything that should be in focus.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    There was a time even hippies honored the Lost Cause......

[video=youtube;nnS9M03F-fA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnS9M03F-fA[/video]

[video=youtube;jREUrbGGrgM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jREUrbGGrgM[/video]

[video=youtube;YdVhIbiIBC0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdVhIbiIBC0[/video]

Top Bottom